Matt Damon on Public Education

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by QGator2414, Aug 6, 2013.

1. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +738
    "But it was a circular conversation, really, because ultimately we don't have a choice. I mean, I pay for a private education and I'm trying to get the one that most matches the public education that I had, but that kind of progressive education no longer exists in the public system."

??? He cant get his kids a progressive education in Public Schools?

This could the most laughable and ridiculous excuse he could have come up with...

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/aug/02/matt-damon-activist-star-elysium
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,742
    What a fruitcake. Looking forward to his sci-fi class envy wet dream not opening #1 this weekend.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mocgator

mocgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +731
    Shut up and act Matt
    • Like Like x 1
  4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,913
    dude is clueless
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,003
  6. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    That sounds like a "Jim Jones" mentality.
  7. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Not really. Public shools pretty much are the opposite of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_education

8. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,133
    Actors make their living by making believe they are somebody else. That is only a few degrees from the homeless guy down the street who wears a tin foil helmet and thinks he is a roman centurion. I don't seek his political advice either.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,137
    I think it just depends on what you're looking for for your kids. I'm the inverse - my daughter's public school here in NY is closer to my private school education in Florida and probably about 2 yrs ahead of what public school was for my sister at a comparable grade.

He is also against teacher's salaries being pegged to test scores, and while I do believe teachers need to be held accountable, I have a problem with just using test scores as a measure. A lot of teachers here "teach" the test and nothing else, and have no interest in having the kids learn the work. They want them to memorize it enough to get a good grade on the test and that's it. Eventually the kids drop out, do poorly, etc. There should be an overall picture involved regarding students - not just the testing but also how the kids are doing in the grading periods.

Anyways, I think what he said is fine...I can think of more fruitcake subject matter than a dad talking about the education he wants for his kids. At least he's a dad who is INTERESTED in his kids' education, even if he's famous.
  10. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,742
    Gotta be a real crackpot to look at government schools and say "y'know, these could be doing more to break down children's understanding of individualism, their personal property rights, self-reliance". Short of singing songs in praise of the great leader... oh wait, that happened once or twice already too. And the fruitloop who punished a student for disrespecting Obama. None of these people ever being meaningfully disciplined, let alone terminated. Sigh. Can't find a progressive bent on things in a government school that is good enough!
  11. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    I think you should read wgb's link above.

Teaching to the test is clearly becoming more and more a thrust of public education, and I, as a education professional myself, definitely do not favor this score-hunting type of learning. I am sure you have lots of good reasons for hoping that his movies fail, but I don't see why wanting his kids to engage in the highest levels of critical thinking should be one of them.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. oaklandroadie

oaklandroadie Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +178
    An educational professional? Then clearly you realize standards based assessments and a progressive approach to education aren't mutually exclusive. If not, I can plan an informative field trip for you, beginning at the Oakland middle school where I taught for 7 years (05-12).
  13. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    No need to get high and mighty on me, oakland. I believe that all I said is that I worry about teaching to the test, but I'd love to see how you guys standardize assessments of higher order critical thinking. It's something that I think is sorely lacking - for good reason, as it is very difficult.
  14. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,137
    They aren't mutually exclusive - but the problem becomes teachers like what we've seen not just here but other places that place such an emphasis on the tests because they know their jobs depend on it, that they teach nothing else and just sit there and drill the kids so they memorize the answers to the questions, instead of actually teaching the kids.

I'm not saying all teachers are like that, but there's enough to where basing a teacher's performance/pay solely on standardized test scores is a concern. It should be part of the equation, not the only factor involved.