Master Statistician/Researcher

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by scarndogator, Sep 17, 2013.

1. scarndogator

scarndogator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Ok, we all know Tebow looks funny when he throws. But isn't winning percentage an important measurable? How about TD/Interception ratio? TD percentage given a first down inside the red zone. Fourth quarter/OT come from behind win percentage. I was told that if Tebow is out of the NFL for good, he would leave as the career leader in each of those categories for any 1st round QB with fewer than one full seasons (16) starts in the entire history of the NFL. Any ideas on how/where to confirm if any of this is accurate?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +369
    If you throw one TD and no interceptions, you'll have a great ratio, but only one TD. If you score once inside the red zone in one try, you'll have a great ratio. If you are always putting your team in a position to have to come from behind, then is it a good stat to have that you are good at 4th quarter comebacks?

BTW Tebow is tied for 145th on number of 4th quarter comebacks. The leader? Peyton Manning.
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,733
    This is an awful stat to use here, considering it's heavily skewed by years played / volume.
  4. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +754
    psssh sample size, shmample size
  5. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +369
    It is the only relevant stat I could find, and considering the question raised in the OP -- "Any ideas on how/where to confirm if any of this is accurate?" -- you're welcome.
  6. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +618
    Wow, Tebow has 6 4th quarter comebacks in 16 starts. That's pretty impressive.

I've bought into the theory that suggests that teams avoid Tebow because of the extra baggage that comes with him. When he was at FLORIDA, I was skeptical about his ability to play in the NFL, but there was always an Eckstein-like quality about him that made you believe his spirituality, work ethic, and attitude would help him overcome whatever obstacles he faced when others said it wouldn't happen. At this point, I mainly hope his run isn't over because he's just a guy you like rooting for (except when he was leading the Broncos to a comeback win over the Bears).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Like Like x 1
  7. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +767
    • Like Like x 1
  8. wygator

Ratings Received:
    +767
    OK...I dug around a bit. Here's one article:

the case for Tim Tebow

A good read. A couple of key points:

A related article:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/tim-tebow-could-have-saved-5-gms-7-coaches-and-9-teams/20537/
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,733
    You failed at reading comprehension. You're welcome:

10. wygator

Ratings Received:
    +767
    more...
  11. scarndogator

scarndogator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Um, Colin, it was come from behind PERCENTAGE. You seem to have allowed your Tebow-hate to trump your reading comprehension. Go check how many Peyton had in his first same number of starts that Tim has. No, not saying TT is a hall of famer, I am saying his come from behind wins, his TD/int %, his % of TD once inside the red zone and most importantly his winning % and his playoff victory--given the same number of starts-- all exceed not just Mannings but nearly every QB in history. Given the same number of few starts, Tebow surpassed nearly everyone. Yet he gone. There's a reason folks and its not poor completion %. Jeez, go look at others before him in their first X starts. The mocking he brings along from media and pop culture is the reason. The reason for their mocking is his hyper religiosity.
  12. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +632
    Weird that Kurt Warner didn't get the same "mocking"
  13. scarndogator

scarndogator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    And over the Dolphins! SO how do we compare his other good stats mentioned against others in the same number of stats? Someone's gotta have the skeels. And be willing to be stunned by his shockingly superior measurables Vs his peers.
  14. scarndogator

scarndogator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Hardly means though that Tebow didn't.
  15. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    What I find funny is those who hate our current offense say it's "boring" and aren't happy with just winning the game but back Tim Tebow and his shot by a 50 cal duck balls for less than 50% completion percentage and say "that the W is only thing that matters."
  16. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288
    Fans conveniently forget that Tebow twice missed wide open receivers in the 4th quarter in the loss to Ole Miss.
  17. scarndogator

scarndogator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Awesome job wygator and obob. Thanks so much. I wonder why so few around here have any clue about how outstanding and how rare Tebows success in his limited starts in the NFL really is? The general consensus is clearly he was a good college QB but just not good enough for the NFL. I ask the question with I wonder why but I don't at all wonder why. I know exactly why. Media/pop culture propaganda is so powerful that even otherwise intelligent people, including ones who's natural bias (as Gators) should help them see through the false narratives can not resist having incorrect opinions set into them. Its truly an amazing vulnerability we possess.
  18. scarndogator

scarndogator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    I get your point about folks complaining about ground and pound but come on. Tebow completed less than 50% as our QB ? ? No way. Get real. That's just not true.
  19. wygator

Ratings Received:
    +767
    All of that without even mentioning the obvious. Tebow took over a team that was 1 - 4.
    That's a HUGE hole to dig out of. Then he was further handicapped as the team traded away arguably their best receiver the same week. The 2011 Broncos were the first team since 2002 to start 1-4 and make the playoffs. And by the way, for those who want to give a lot of credit to the defense, they were ranked 24th in the NFL for the regular season.
  20. scarndogator

scarndogator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Incredible. All that miraculous success and fantastical joy of winning he brought but it's two passes against Ole Miss in a rare defeat that propelled the Mighty Gators onto a National Championship, that one "fan" remembers.

I'll just never understand that kind of thinking. Thankfully.