Massachusetts now requires picture on EBT card

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatordowneast, Jul 2, 2013.

1. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    queenie, by now you know that any post by Fred contains the same jargon. It is who he is. George Bush is Satan and anyone opposed to any Obama policy either is a right wing nut job or a tin foil hat wearer. And all corporations are all bad (Halliburton is the worst) and employers spend 24 hours day thinking about how they can screw their employees.
  2. surfn1080

surfn1080 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +162
    Is this person that is that disconnected from society an active voter?

Even my brother who has no real life other than video games has an ID and he almost never leaves the house nor drives.
  3. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,918
    Have you seen election cycles in this country? There is always an election going on somewhere. You could pick any day in the calendar and someone would argue that it's too close to an election somewhere at some point in time.

If there is fraud in absentee voting then yes that should be gotten rid of. However, aren't there states that require an ID to have an absentee ballot issued as well? If you make that a requirement for absentee ballots, too, then problem solved on that point.

You cannot make the assumption that the majority of absentee voters vote "pub" considering that each region is different and there are many where absentee voters are more democrat than republican. There are places where democrats fight FOR early voting and the republicans against it.

Guess what? Each group will fight for/against whatever they need to in order to win in that particular area. There is no absolute.

And as far as "do it now and give people 4 years", guess what? You'd have someone agree to that, and then lawsuit after lawsuit would be filed that it's discrimination, that it's unfair, that it's a burden...then they'd lose and you'd have appeal after appeal, and in 4 years when everything is exhausted, those opposing it would then say, "well, now we need 4 years to comply".

We could always go to fingerprint ID then, or blood tests. Would that be less of a burden to those that can't seem to get an ID? Heck "Meals on Wheels" could take the picture, have the person fill out the form and then send it in.

But if it's easier to play the victim and cry about how unfair it all is, then that's on that person.
  4. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,603

link

link
  5. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    You folks who don't think that you need an ID to vote are amusing. If you are walking down the street in West Palm Beach Fl and officer friendly pulls you over you better have an ID or your going to the clink! Besides, next election will have far fewer non ID voters voting.
  6. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Unlike you, river deals in facts and reputable sources. You can engage and try and disprove his typically substantial evidence or you can resort to ad hominem nonsense such as you post above.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +2,918
    As far as the student: Where is her student ID? How did she enroll in school without any kind of registration information? Any students here - when you enrolled in college, what identification did they ask you for? How does she get her retirement check? If she has to deposit it, how does the bank accept she is who she says she is considering all banks say ID is required? If she goes to a check cashing place, they require ID as well.

As for the nuns - that's probably the correct attitude. They may not like it and think it's unfair, but feel that voting is THAT important that they can get it done with help. Are there seniors that are alone out there? Yes. But if they are getting somewhere to vote, they can get somewhere to get an ID - and they don't need a relative for that. Or with today's technology, volunteers from ANY party can go around if they get called, snap the person's picture with their phone, fill out the info and then send in any needed information for verification. The ID would then be sent back to them via mail.

As for birth certificates. I just went through that since they decided to make all the old Puerto Rican birth certificates null and void. I used vitals.com, filled out some paperwork, which they have phone numbers for in any language, and I got my new birth certificate. As slow as things are down there...took all of 2 weeks.

"Voting is an American right". Yes it is. And if you're here LEGALLY you've been here long enough to produce some kind of paper trail to get an ID. So unless you're getting paid under the table, don't use banks, don't go to school, have never been in a hospital and don't go to grocery stores I don't see the issue.

Now back to the nuns article: "One of the acceptable forms of identification is a card issued by a care facility, but because the OLP is not licensed by the state, the cards are not valid, said Sister Eleanor Mary Marconi, I.H.M., assistant administrator at OLP."

There are other ways to obtain cards if you're elderly. Nursing homes can issue them and many do to have a second form of ID. Now, if you're not a licensed facility that sounds like it's a whole other situation and the facility should be licensed no matter what. If care is being provided it needs to be licensed.

One of the nuns, the one with the long wait - she had an ID for air travel but she LET it expire. Hence the wait. All she needed to do (or anyone else in that position) was mail in the renewal. I'm homebound now pretty much and that's what I do for renewals now - that or go online. It's important enough for me to be bothered to do it.

Again, where there's a will there's a way. And putting voter law stuff aside, back to the original topic, ALL WELFARE provided by the government that is paid for BY the people should require a picture to show who it is. So why not use that same card as your voter ID?
  8. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,054
    Thanks for just returning to fact free talking points as I knew you would. At least you admitted that this is just about pubs winning and little else, as everyone knows.

Pubs vote more absentee. This is a fact. Can't be swept away by talking points.

There is only one election these laws are about: the presidential election. Most of the rest of them can be gerrymandered into pub wins.
  9. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +2,918
    http://www.thestate.com/2013/01/18/2594158/early-voting-bills-face-major.html

"Democrats tend to favor early voting while Republicans tend to oppose it, and South Carolina’s absentee voting totals show why: More Democrats vote absentee."

http://elections.gmu.edu/early_vote_2012.html

Shows a healthy mix of either Democratic early voting/absentee leading or Republican early voting/absentee leading.

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Absentee_voting

Rules for absentee/early voting per state.

And I never said this was about pubs winning and little else. As for fact-free talking we've all point out "facts" that you seem to either not like or discredit because they don't support your own views and that's fine. Considering this is a message board and not a Presidential Debate, opinions are welcome here - or at least that's my understanding.
  10. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +216
    He was talking about Fred. I thought that would be pretty evident since he said "Fred" and not "river".
  11. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,603
  12. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    River deals in liberal drivel and most of his sources are Mother Earth and similar. Most of you libbies are the same. If a person does not work and they spend enough time, they can find some obscure website or blogger to quote whatever they need to make a point.
  13. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +2,918
    River - I was using it as an argument to the view that only Republicans favored early/absentee voting per Fred's assertion. The paragraph was direct from the article, since he seemed so inclined in quotes/links/facts, etc. Frankly the wording was not the best, but again, he seemed to want actual quotes, etc.

My point being that he can't assume that the only reason no one is calling for absentee voting reform (in his view) is because they vote Republican.
  14. Gatoragman

Gatoragman VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    Imagine that, Fred pulling another talking point out of one of his orifices, and assuming that everyone else does like him.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,603
    It's not your fault, it makes no sense the way the newspaper wrote it. It acts as though early voting and absentee are the same thing.
    Pretty much every other source comes to the same conclusion: Democrats use more early voting, Republicans use more absentees.

Meanwhile given that while voter fraud of any kind is extremely rare, it seems that it's much more likely to happen in absentee than anywhere else, and in-person fraud (the kind that would be eliminated by ID) is either non-existent or close to it ... why is all the GOP emphasis on voter ID to combat fraud?

(Edit: The GOP emphasis is on Voter ID, college students and early voting.)
  16. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +872
    yes she votes
  17. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +2,918
    See this is a viewpoint I can look at as far as why the necessity considering the low numbers, versus saying "it's not fair." I, too, noticed in a lot of sites, including some government ones, that they were lumping early voting in the same category with absentee voting, which already could mess up the data to either side of the scale.

I would still say that requiring ID is not a burden because so many people have ID's already or can get it. The argument about it affecting the poor and elderly would be curtailed partially by having photos on EBT cards/welfare documentation/Medicaid cards since they'd receive this when they get their benefits. As for illegals, I'm sorry but last I checked voting was a right for citizens. Once they become legal they can be issued ID cards if they don't have licenses when they get their legal papers.

So while I would understand someone saying "why would you need it if the fraud is so low," I would reply "if the numbers affected are so low, why not close the loophole?"
  18. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    And why are you wasting your time and ours a non-problem? How about we have finger prints taken at polling locations while we're at it.
  19. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +2,918
    Actually I mentioned finger prints earlier in the thread somewhere. That would be a better option for me personally. I'm sure someone will take up for an amputee or something, so they can also have a picture ID option of some kind, too.

Edit: And you can take fingerprints at multiple locations, and you could always get off-duty officers to go by and collect prints if needed to create the database. I personally just thought others might find collecting prints more obtrusive than getting a picture taken. Heck we're not far from a Hunger Games-esque blood print either.
  20. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Oy! I was trying to be funny about the finger prints. Ice, why are you wasting time on this? There is no problem and the result is less legitimate voters voting and virtually zero crime stopped.