Massachusetts now requires picture on EBT card

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatordowneast, Jul 2, 2013.

1. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,137
    Last I checked, you don't know who I listen to, I didn't insult anyone and I used facts. So I'm pretty sure you don't mean me. :)

"Usual talking points"-um, what? That everyone SHOULD have some kind of ID? If cost isn't the issue, & transportation isn't an issue (we have a dmv at a mall here even), & not being a driver isn't an issue, & if it's issued with the ebt cards it becomes easier to get an ID, then what is the issue? Why the objection to proving who you are?
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,007
    The irony is that EBT card holders had to show a picture ID just to get the EBT cards to begin with... arguing with the Liberals on this point is futile, they'll just take their ball and run home with it.
  3. GolphinGator

GolphinGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +285
    Well at least if they don't get the ID's out fast there is a chance some of them could get hungry and go to work.
  4. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
    not true. you can do it online.
  5. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,137
    If true that shouldn't be allowed either. There's enough abuse of government programs.
  6. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,050
    Geez queen....I'm not commenting on the post(although your post is a good one)---I gotta ask---how in the world did you get to three stars with only 800 and some change post count----and only been a member since May????

That's gotta be a record of some kind. Wow. People must be repping your brains out!:wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +6,007
    Talk about stupid abuse. Who in their right mind thought to give EBT cards to people online? Genius.

I wonder if I could get one of their EBT cards sent to me here in Florida. :grin:
  8. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    Owning a gun is a constitutional right too but I have to not only show an ID but do a background check Mr. Holder
  9. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    it goes through the state of florida so if qualified you could apply for one.
  10. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +6,007
    :laugh:

I was being cynical about the online thingy.
  11. anstro76

Ratings Received:
    +945
    I know

Sent from my mind using ESP
  12. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,137
    :angel:
  13. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    If it would eliminate almost no voter fraud at all, why are democrats so shrill in their opposition? I would have no problem tightening up every single item on your list. I doubt other pubs would either. It is such a small issue...just can't see why libs fight it....unless it is really a much larger issue than we realize? Hmmmm

Maybe we are getting the drift when they talk about the democrat "ground" game in major urban areas? Hmmmm
  14. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,137
    Libs fight it not because they think it's right or wrong - quite likely they feel it's fine deep down. They fight it because it makes them more for the poor people to paint it in such a light. It creates another "us vs them" argument for them to hold on to.

Do you know anyone who is so incredibly sheltered/shut in that they've never gone to the grocery store, a bank, a store, a doctor's office, etc? Heck the doctor's office now will take your picture and put it in your medical record. If you do, then they're lying, because they know YOU and if YOU really care about the other person being "a part of society" you'd take 10 minutes and take them to get an ID and call it your charitable work for the day.

As for getting the cards online - if you can afford a COMPUTER to get the EBT done online, or if you can GET to a library to use their computers, then you're just as capable of getting on a bus and going some place to do it. If you are that shuttered in, there are places in the country that have absentee voting laws providing for an absentee-by-traveling board (someone comes to your house and helps you fill out a ballot).

Once you get the ID renewing it is pretty much automatic so it's that first effort that's needed. If people can't be bothered to do that first step then there's nothing that can be done for them. That's on them.
  15. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,700
    And the right wing talking points continue with no connection to reality.

As always.
  16. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,137
    Okay this time I'm pretty sure you ARE talking about me.

If I'm not connected to reality, please educate me. How is this such a hardship to do? I've already said how it can be done. So have others.

Unless your only retort when shown facts is "right wing....reality...it's Bush's fault". In which case, I'm sorry, but I can't help you.
  17. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +6,007
    He has no real argument so he reverts back to just arguing nonsense.
  18. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,700
    As have I. Do it now and give people who haven't needed it for decades 4 years to comply.

But do pubs do that? Of course not. They try to change them months before the election. This whole thing is about keeping an unattractive element to the pubs from voting, not preventing some never proven to exist fraud.

Most of the documented cases of fraud is in absentee voting. Do you ever hear the pubs whine about fixing that? Of course not. Most absentee voters vote pub.

But please, rock on with the talking points.
  19. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    There is no proof of any statistically significant problem requiring additional ID laws. That's a fact.

Hard as it is for us to imagine that many do not have photo ID's, there are many that do not and getting one is an extra hassle or hardship for those poor, without a vehicle, and perhaps without a loving granddaughter to drive them around. That is also a fact.

It is a fact that these laws disproportionaly affect demographic groups - the young and aged poor - that Republican politicians would like to discourage from voting, and some have even admitted this.

Absent any other reason, like a problem that needs fixing, the suppression of certain voting demographics is the real reason for these laws. Your arguing in favor of them is just carrying water for these cynical a..holes, since I doubt you personally want to suppress votes.
  20. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,367
    I guess you don't realize how the two parts of your question make absolutely no sense. People are opposed because it prevents some people from voting and eliminates no voter fraud.
    The bigger question is why are Republicans so shrill about it when it eliminates no voter fraud?

It is a much larger issue: The Republican multi-pronged attempts to make it harder for those who vote Democratic to vote at all. I think I've made that clear more than once.