Massachusetts now requires picture on EBT card

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatordowneast, Jul 2, 2013.

1. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...orm-welfare/XBHNEBLfs7201HlvNDoKxN/story.html

"Among the proposals to counter fraud is a requirement that photo IDs be put on all electronic benefit transfer cards used by welfare recipients by August 2014. Critics of the EBT cards, which work much like bank-issued debit cards, say they frequently fall into the hands of unauthorized people.

All welfare recipients would be required to obtain permanent Social Security numbers within three months of receiving benefits, and the bill would fund more fraud investigators and caseworkers within the Department of Transitional Assistance, the state’s welfare agency."

I guess even the libs in the Northeast are growing weary of being fleeced. Senate has now passed bills requiring photo IDs on both EBT (food stamp cards) and welfare cards. Requires social security #s too.

So, if a state can require photo id for food stamps/welfare/Obama phone, can any of our resident libbies explain why requiring a photo id and voters registration card to vote is discriminatory by a southern state?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. surfn1080

surfn1080 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +147
    Wait that's not racist?? Can they still vote with out showing proof of being a us citizen?
  3. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,902
    Oh I'm sure someone will find something racist about it :roll:
  4. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,044
    no argument here
  5. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +616
    I think it is a great idea.
  6. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Voting is a constitutional right - unlike receiving welfare - and there is no evidence even suggesting that there is measurable fraud which a voter picture ID would correct. The motivation for those laws are to effectively disenfranchise a demographic not favorable to the republican legislators and governors trying to enact the laws.

If they still insist on passing it, they should proactively provide aid in getting the ID's out to all citizens.
  7. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,718
    Now, can we ask them to present their EBT card as a form of photo identification when they vote?
  8. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,483
    the issue with voter IDs is that some voters don't have them. Given that EBT is providing the photo ID, it's not quite the same thing, is it?
  9. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    agree with the measure 100%. Can picture some red states having same measure of EBT cards having photo ID and not allowing that as ID for voting or voting registration. But still permit boat or hunting licenses without photo as ID for voting registration and voting.
  10. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,016
    Doesn't the government provide identification to vote as well? State IDs, driver licenses, social security cards, etc?
  11. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +561
    Exactly...and the person who is getting their 'provided photo ID' will still have to board a bus--find a ride--take a cab--walk--etc, to get to the office to have their photo ID made. NO difference between this and a voting ID.
  12. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    "Doesn't the government provide identification to vote as well"

fed govt does. And a red state tried to legislate that the fed ID is insufficient to register and/or vote in that state---even in regard to elections for national office.
  13. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,990
    but heaven forbid a picture ID be required to vote
  14. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,483
    heaven forbid if it isn't, huh?
  15. Gatoragman

Gatoragman VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    Row, you may be right that some states and some folks want to discriminate against certain voters to reduce the turnout, but everytime voter id comes up for debate on this board, I can't see any pubs wanting voter id to discriminate against any one voting block. Most all the arguments for voter id, made here anyhow, are to help illiminate fraud or at least the perception of fraud.
    I think every pub on this board wants to win elections as bad as anybody, but I still haven't seen any, in the years of reading and posting, that doesn't want to see everyone with a right to vote to go vote. Some tongue in check comments made about a knowlegde test before voting, but that would hurt both sides.
    So can we at least stipulate on GC that we, pubs, want to see the use of voter id's, but it's for admirable reasons rather then just to make dem vote counts lower?
    I for one want to win everytime, in everything, but I also want it to be a level playing field and walk away knowing I didn't cheat to win
  16. sappanama

sappanama VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    They'd be supplied ID.if it was to big a hassle to bring "voter" ID, vote absentee. I still don't believe people don't have id, in my life I haven't seen one person that couldn't provide it when asked, if they wanted to. What is a voter I'd and how does it differ from id?
  17. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Ragman:

The "admirable" reasons are not based on any demonstrable problem. Why put up roadblocks when there aren't any criminals on the loose? The penalties for voting fraud are severe and there is no appreciable gain for anyone dumb enough to try it. It is not that it doesn't exist ever, but that instances are so rare as to be of no consequence. So, if someone still insists we need tougher laws for statistically non-existent crimes, proactively make it easy for those who don't drive, are infirm, or are otherwise out of the loop of modern American consumer culture to get their picture ID. Otherwise, the motivation is demonstrably not "admirable" by those promoting these new laws.
  18. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,483
    We've been thru this 100 times. When the voter ID issue first came up, my assumption was that everyone has an ID. Apparently they don't. Tie in the fact that the ones who don't are more likely the same demographic groups that Republicans would rather not see vote along with all the other laws that Republicans are trying to change to change in the name of voter fraud that they can't seem to prove exists ... and it looks like nothing more than stacking the deck.
  19. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +996
    And you'll never get an answer to these facts.

Just talking points regurged about needing an ID to do anything, blah, blah, blah.

This is one of our fundamental flaws these days: one side wants to debate the merits and the other wants to recite sound bites.
  20. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +761
    I thought the SOTUS addressed this with Justice Roberts acknowledging that there could be an inconvenience to some to some but that wasn't an overriding factor.