Marqui Hawkins transferring

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Diesel350z, Apr 23, 2014.

1. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +913
    For the most part this is what happens when you take lower ranked WRs. I hope staff didn't miss on a few others.
  2. gatorlaw15

gatorlaw15 Member

Ratings Received:
    +63
    Muschamp confirmed today that he wanted to play WR and probably would not have been able to here as he was passed by the other receivers in his class on the depth chart.

He's going even further from home it looks like.
  3. Diesel350z

Diesel350z Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +681
    Marqui Hawkins transferred from Florida this spring. He received initial interest from Wisconsin and Nebraska. Hawkins has opted to transfer to UAB. "I just got the call from the staff," Hawkins first told 247Sports.com Monday afternoon. "They called and said everything is good to go. My transcript has went through. I'll be arriving there on Thursday and starting summer school. I felt UAB is a place I can play and its close to home." The 6-foot-2, 210-pounder redshirted this past fall at Florida. He'll sit out due due to transfer rules and then have three years of eligibility at UAB.
  4. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +540
    Not necessarily. Most of Spurrier's great receivers toward the end of his tenure at UF were considered marginal talents coming out of high school. There was talk that Reche-formerly known as Donald-Caldwell would get the opportunity to play QB at Florida, and wasn't really on the national radar because of seizures (or something health related) he suffered while at Jefferson; Gaffney wasn't even the best WR prospect at Raines; Jaquez Green and Travis McGriff were undersized; nobody thought Anthony and Hilliard would do what they did at Florida. Travis Taylor was the most underrated prospect in that '97 class, yet his overall body of work (sophomore season and bowl appearance against Michigan State) was better than any other receiver in his incoming class, even taking Darrell Jackson's junior season into consideration.

Meanwhile, guys like Jamie Richardson, Nafis Karim and Steve Shipp never panned out.

Of course, a lot of that had to do with Spurrier's system, and the play he got from his QBs. Also, Dwayne Dixon was a better developer of talent than he gets credit for being.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +426
    Who knows what might have been? Wish MH the best and will watch his progress at UAB. He could have made a great blocking wideout and is certainly big enough to go over the middle.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +292
    and the roster depletion begins...another reason to oversign. We will again go into another season with a short roster while Bama and others will have a full quality roster of 85 players. If they have a transfer at this time of year or realized they had a big miss in recruiting...no problem there are plenty of players to fill that spot.
  7. deebo65

deebo65 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,261

I think that this is more of the situatuion in this case. Absolutely no knock on Marqui, but som eplayers are just that "PLAYERS" Gamers. Also, some just WANT to be Gators so badly that they just work like a dog and out work everyone ahead of them to get on the field. Fred Weary came here as a WR, Eli as a RB, Sea Showers a WR, Terry Jackson came in as an O LB, Amahad Black was buried until his chance came due to injury (after a move from corner to safety).... Some guys are just talented and it doesn't matter where they play. Maybe Hawkins IS that talented. But he is also either, A, homesick, B, uspet about position change, C, scared of competition or all of the above. I hate to see any young kid want to leave, but I wish him well. Go Gators!
  8. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +913
    I agree except that Bama can oversign with players that can be expected to play at the SEC level. I'm not sure we've enjoyed that in the past four cycles.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    I think ALL players should be allowed to transfer 1 time. No questions. I also think if you verbally commit than you need to stay through the season.

This looks like he wanted to play WR. If he was going to leave why not try to do it closer to home be closer to home? Although UF is 5 hrs from ATL, B'ham is what 3?

And UBA? The kid either wants to play NOW, or he is struggling in school, or he realizes Comp in the SEC is not worth the time? Or some or all of the above?

But really, UAB? TV time? Players to make the NFL? I think he may feel that he is just a little above average.
  10. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,509
    or none of the above
  11. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +292
    I think the oversigning is just such a big advantage because everyone has misses on recruitement where a player just doesn't pan out and may be a bust but at least you have additional players that can fill the void even if they are average as oppossed to having no one to turn to. Also, if you sustain multiple injuries, player transfers or players kicked off the team...again you have players that can fill the void so you don't have empty roster spots. On top of that you have intense competition to make the 85 man roster and you may find a sleeper or stud in that oversigned class. If no negative coverage or recruiting effect comes from it there is no reason not to oversign. Basically, UF has instituited its own form of probation by not oversigning like the teams it has to compete with.
  12. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,318
    I don't like that idea. Next thing you know we'll have multiple Miami Heat teams in college football.
  13. SeaCay

SeaCay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    At least we'd be one of the few that could afford to do this.
  14. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    A coach can leave at any time why not let players be allowed to make one change?
  15. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,004
    Look at the original date of this thread. This is old. It was brought back since he finally announced where he was transferring to.