1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Marqui Hawkins transferring

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Diesel350z, Apr 23, 2014.

1. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,596
    Your quote is one of my favorite movies! "They're not allowed to smile...they're Russians."
  2. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,715

Just something I heard. He wants to play WR but they moved him to DB and he didn't like it much and became discouraged. Also, he's a little homesick. Wish him the best.
  3. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,476
    Yes, it happens everywhere...to what degree is the question. I think overall I would give champ a c+ to b- for talent evaluation.
  4. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,476
    Matts in line for hb, not the slot he is way too slow to play the slot
  5. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,596
    I stand corrected.
  6. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Don't know if he was dead wood..considering we need players to fill scout teams and so forth...so I wouldn't call any of them dead wood. Having good players to face in game prep is very important and he is certainly good enough for that.
  7. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    He just wasnt a good fit for UF this is good for both parties.
  8. SeaCay

SeaCay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +303
    I know you may not be in the position to elaborate further, but whatever you can reveal would be informative.
  9. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I know I sound like a broken record so I will elaborate a little more he just wasn't a fit on OR off the field for UF. Carver, where he went to high school has a good relationship with Muschamp. Having Hawkins finish out the semester with the team then leave was a good thing. Sometimes things just dont work out.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,328
    Way too early to write off a player who was that good on offense and defense in high school. There's too much emphasis on a quick learning curve. Mark my word, Hawkins will be a good, if not great player in college. There was a lot of apparent "improvement" at the WR position in the spring, but we won't really know until fall.

If he didn't make a move up the depth chart at safety, it's obviously because he didn't have time to learn the position and the scheme. He lack serious size and length at the position. Given time during the summer, he could have worked his way into the rotation at safety. He's a natural there.

I can never tall if we are granting transfers or pushing players out. I saw Hawkins' high school clips and he was a handful on both sides of the ball. He may be no more than one season away from being a handful on either side of the LOS.

IMHO, this is not good for our recruiting efforts in Georgia.
  11. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,328
    He's from south Georgia and leaning towards Nebraska. Is that homesick? I think we pushed him out.
  12. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,328
    At the recruiting level, or at evaluating players once they're on campus? Hawkins was injured his entire freshman year. This spring was the first time he's had the opportunity to show his talent.
  13. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,476
    Recruiting, and my grade for champ is based on all of his recruiting efforts so far
  14. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    I think it lays more on the lack of development at EVERY position but RB on the offensive side of the ball. God it's awful to watch. We have the recruits, but the coaching has been just...well sad.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    They handled this whole situation as well as they could have.
  16. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I thought the starting WR's did a pretty good job last year considering their talent.
  17. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +571
    I don't know much about Hawkins but I think for the UF system, he was really kind of a tweener and just didn't quite fit at any position. The spread offense seems at WR to like a combination of guys who are really fast, paired with taller WRs like Fulwood at 6'4". Or guys like D Rob who just have great skill sets. At 6'1", Hawkins just really doesn't fit the WR needs of the new offense. He's got the height Muschamp wants at CB, but probably not the speed, so they give him a chance at safety.

I'm sure there's more to the story than just the position change, but what's the realistic likelihood that a guy like Hawkins is going to not only learn how to play a new position, but excel to a level that he's going to end up a starter. More often than not, the coaches making a position change, unless it's a truly superior athlete, usually indicates that a player is unlikely to see much playing time.

I know we're seen some guys like Eli Williams who were just so physically talented that they were able to not only play, but become starters after a position change, but that's not the norm. I don't Hawkins for wanting a new start if he felt like there wasn't really a place for him on this team.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,549
    So a 6'1 WR doesn't fit into our "system"? Seriously? That's a very, very weak argument! VERY WEAK!

Additionally, spread option teams usually like WR's that can block. I'd think a 6'1 213lb WR could do well blocking a typical 5'10-6' 185-ish WR.
  19. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +571
    I think maybe you misunderstood my point. The new style of offense is largely based on creating mismatches. 4.3 speed obviously creates mismatches. 6'4" height creates mismatches both for WRs blocking and catching against smaller DBs. And phenomenal skills speaks for itself. A WR that doesn't have elite speed, elite size or phenomenal skills is going to have a harder time fitting this new offense.

It's just my opinion, but Hawkins seems to be sort of average height, average speed and average skills. He was probably better suited to the pro-style offense we were trying to run before.
  20. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,181
    In a glass half full world, perhaps we can attribute the transfer to coaching evaluation, rather than ascribing it to lack of player development.
    • Like Like x 1