Marcus Thomas: The last time we had a season-ending issue of Easley's magnitude

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by UFreak, Sep 26, 2013.

1. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,728
    You don't seem to get the point that on THIS TEAM we have decent enough RB's to get by. We don't have to have Percy as a deep threat every play, he can be used as a RB and slot which would still fit perfectly into this offense.

Once we get Percy the ball, even if its on a swing route, he can make plays. His play making ability and speed would make it so the defense simply cannot load the box every play.

By the way, Percy averaged almost twice as many yards per run as Emmitt did. I know this isn't apples to apples since Percy wasn't your typical RB, but it still says something about what he brings to the table.
  2. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    I think it is you who doesn't seem to get the point. We don't have good enough backs on THIS TEAM. Add a great back to this team and this team, because we are a running team on offense and then we may be a great team.

This IS a running back dominated offense. That is the most important part of our team because that's what we do, we run - a lot.

And I don't think speed matters. Just like you don't think durability matters. So how ridiculous that notion is?
  3. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,728
    You're right, Emmitt would just look at the holes that aren't being made by our OL and they would just magically open up and all our running problems would be solved... hoooraaayyy!

As for your last comment, it seems you're struggling with comprehending what my point was. I never said durability doesn't matter, I was clearly making a hypothetical situation where Percy wasn't plagued with injuries.
  4. Spleezy

Spleezy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    I'd lean more on a Patton as being our explosive guy on offense. We're on pace to have to guys with over 800 yards receiving with him and Dunbar.
  5. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,335
    I sure hope you are right, but I don't see us having a 19th ranked total offense or a 14th ranked pass offense, either with Murphy at QB or pease at OC under Muschamp's system.
  6. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,335
    Jack Youngblood, Carlos Alvarez, Lomas Brown, Wes Chandler, Emmitt Smith and Wilber Marshall say hello...
  7. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,335
    Not a bad post until this last paragraph. Percy wasn't a typical RB because he was a WR who also ran the ball as an RB/flanker. But Percy also had two great quarterbacks to play with, better OL'men, and much better receivers. Both players had excellent defenses on their teams.

Emmitt, on the other hand, WAS the offense, and every opposing team knew it. There was little to no supporting cast. And frankly, Emmitt's NFL career will dwarf that of Percy's. Put percy on those 1987-9 Florida teams and he would be suffering from much more than "migraines."
  8. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,728
    Go on...
  9. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,335
    All of these players were more dominant at their positions than Percy was, even though Percy was great. I've seen all of them play. There isn't a Gator player alive that was as dominant in a single game as Wilber Marshall against Southern Cal in 1983. Wes Chandler was an athletic freak completely wasted in Dickey's "offense." Lomas Brown was one of the game's greatest OTs. Carlos Alvarez was the first great star after Spurrier of the modern Florida era, and would have been great in the NFL if not for injury.

History does begin before one's conscious recollection.
  10. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,728
    I clearly said...

With that said, you're going to tell me teams didn't try to focus on Percy? Even though defenses tried their hardest to stop him, he was unstoppable. The only thing that did stop him was injuries.
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,605
    I appreciate people trying to rationalize/minimalize the loss of Easley, but there's no way around this. We just lost our QB, whose backup never played, and our most dominant defensive player . . . in the same week. This after losing a key Olineman and Debose. I will still enjoy every game this year and hope that the Gators can achieve goal #1: get to Atlanta. There will, however, be no breath-holding on my part. These losses suck. No rationalization, minimalization, or comparitization will change that. It's just not our year. But by all means, Go Gators!
  12. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,728
    Indeed, but time also moves on. It's not always "my generation was better than yours" which old guys seem to LOVE to bring up.

"Back in my day blah blah blah blah"
  13. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +82
    Anybody who watched that Michigan bowl game or the championship game against Oklahoma (or hell even the SEC Championship against Arkansas) will see that Percy also WAS the offense while he was here. Two of those three games are the lynchpins to the Tebow legacy and we win neither without Percy carrying the team on his very slight shoulders.

I definitely side with the gatorchamps, when Percy took handoffs the defenses he played against (great ones at that) saw him as a RB and not some weird slash guy that shouldn't be measured against other RBs. 194 carries is a pretty good sample size, that's not a gimmick
  14. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Well, talent doesn't equal value. I don't remember anyone counting on Thomas to be a leader, to be a player we could count on. Siler and McDonald were the leaders of that defense, and lossing them would have been a far bigger blow than Thomas. Thomas might have been top 5 in talent, but I don't see him as a top 5 in value. Even talent is debatable... there is at least 5 players that went higher than him in the draft, although I understand part of the reason for that is because he was kicked-off.

Easley was also turning out to be the leader of this defense, making his loss a double whammy of talent and intangibles.

But to the overall point, losing one player, even if its the best player on the team, shouldn't mean that much if you have a great team. The problem with the comparing Thomas to Easley is that it ignores that we've also lost Chaz, Debose, and Driskel for the season, and we're only going into game #4.

Losing four starters in three games including your starting QB in Driskel and your best overall player in Easley is just mind-blowing and there is just no comparison to what we lost in 2006.
  15. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +621
    All were more dominant. Pfft. The stories always grow more colourful as time marches on.
  16. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    I think you need to revisit the Marcus hype entering that season. He was going to be heavily counted upon. Perhaps not the same leadership role as Easley, I'll give you that. His value was immense and he likely would have been a first rounder had he not gotten in trouble.

Can't recall what injuries we had in 2006, but I bet we had some significant ones. We often lose a starter or two in the preseason.

But to reiterate, Thomas at the time of his injury was a deveatating loss and he was one of the top three players on the team at the time of his injury.
  17. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    I have to say, not a very strong arguer, my friend :)
    Aren't you doing the same thing by claiming the player from the generation you are claiming is better. And this without the benefit of having seen some of the other players.
    Observation is key to assessment.
  18. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    Won the SEC title game vs. No. 1 Bama without Percy. Because Percy was hurt. I'd say that one ranks up there in Tebow wins. And Leak was QB vs. Arkansas
  19. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,728
    Coming from the guy who claims RB is our problem, I'll go ahead an disregard your opinions.
  20. 4everaGator

4everaGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Got to rank MT higher than that, after all he was 2! - Marcus and Scoop!