Marcus Thomas: The last time we had a season-ending issue of Easley's magnitude

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by UFreak, Sep 26, 2013.

1. PowerGator

PowerGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    I was actually thinking about this the other day. It isn't a terrible comparison. Thomas was a stud and our best DL at the time. Maybe our best defensive player minus Reggie Nelson. The offense had a lot of problems that year scoring points but we did have a lot of good players on that side. If I recall correctly, we didn't score more than 21 points against an SEC team until the SECCG.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  2. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +907

There are a few similarities, but not many. The defense in 2006 was lights out and continued to be lights out after Thomas' dismissal.

The offense was FAR, FAR better than the offense we have now: Here were the rankings, compared with this year's:

Category---------2006-----------------2013

Total Offense..........19th......................67th
    Pass Offense..........28th......................87th
    Pass Eff Off.............14th......................48th
    Rush Offense..........38th......................48th
    Scoring Offense......23d........................87th

Florida played EIGHT opponents with top 30 defenses in 2006, and STILL finished 19th in the nation. As of right now, we have only four opponents with top 30 defenses, and one of them is Miami, who may not be top 30 at the end of the season.
  3. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +858

There's a lot of season left though, right? Not saying it will get there, but some of those gaps may close. In short, we don't have enough information to say one way or the other.
  4. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +858
    I think that another way to look at it would be to say that Powell and Fowler, et al, were benefitting a lot, production-wise, from the disruption Easley was causing. Just look at what happens to the interior DLine when Easley is in the game. He is such a disruptive force that it makes the other guys' jobs so much easier.
    So I would contend, contrary to your original statement, that we sometimes exaggerate how good a player or players are based upon stats. Not saying they are not good players, but Easley was a huge reason those guys were playing at a high level and having those stats.
  5. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    Placing an emphasis on stats? This shows a fundamental misunderstanding of a DTs role.
  6. Coach1987

Coach1987 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    Remember losing Ed Chester vs LSU
  7. palmbayed

palmbayed Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    RFN would have been the best player on any Gator team including ones w/ Harvin and Tebow
  8. palmbayed

palmbayed Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    That Ed Chester injury was horrible and gruesome!!!
  9. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +497
    No. Harvin is the best player we've had since Emmitt.
  10. palmbayed

palmbayed Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    I disagree, I love Percy but he missed several games w/ "migraines" remember?
  11. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Percy is our most gifted player ever. I'd say he was the greatest ever but he seems to have an injury bug he can't shake. Minus injuries, Percy is the best player at UF ever and its not really close.
  12. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +858
    Come on now. Not even close? I hate it when people do that. First of all, you can't not include injuries in football. Because football is a violent sport. Being capable of sustaining blows and continuing to excel is part of being a good football player.

Second of all, I'm guessing you never saw Emmitt in his prime, Wilbur or Wes Chandler.

It is super close based upon raw skill.

I will take Emmitt 100 percent of the time. If this team had Emmitt, we would be better than if we had Percy. That's the bottom line.
  13. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    I can say anything I want, its a message board for opinions. If Percy didn't have a tendency to get hurt, he would be considered the greatest, most talented Gator to ever play for UF.

Have you seen what he does in the NFL when he is healthy?

Your last sentence is false too. We need a great player to open things up on the outside. Percy could play WR, RB and slot. We don't have a player anywhere near his caliber on the team. A great RB isn't a great running back unless he has a great or at least good OL. Our OL hasn't been opening holes this season like they should.

With Percy, we can have him going on jet sweeps or keep him in the slot, throw a short pass and watch him do his magic.
  14. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Easley is an emotional leader and elevates the play of those around him. He will be missed.
  15. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +497
    To date I would take Emmitt but Percy's NFL career isn't over. As for who would make our team better now? I think it would clearly be Percy. Our RBs are good enough to be very productive with solid offensive line blocking, something we don't have.

On the other hand, we do not have an elite playmaker that you can get the ball in their hands in a variety of positions. Harvin would automatically stretch the field and take so much pressure off the rest of our offense that we would be night and day better. That Purifoy run around the left side to start the UT game would be a common occurrence. The thing about Harvin is that he is a hybrid player that can play close to the line making it impossible for defenses to keep the ball out of his hands.
  16. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +484
    Spoken like someone who has never coached defense.

THE MOST IMPORTANT position on defense is defensive tackle. Period. Those guys don't make a lot of tackles or have the gaudy stats, but if you have weak DTs, your linebackers won't make tackles either unless it is 5-8 yards down the field.

Give me 2 Easley's any day of the week versus 3 Clowney's. I have seen Easley push OL into the backfield 3-4 yards on a consistent basis. Just flat out destroy blockers. He requires a double team every play.

That is tough to replace. IMO, he is the most dominant DL in the college game today.
  17. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +858
    We are a running team. We run first. That's what we do. We are a ball-control offense and that starts with the head coach's philosophy. If you are going to be that kind of team, then probably a good idea to have the best person to ever play the position at your school be the running back. You know, the guy who also is the all-time leading rusher in the NFL. That guy.

I think Percy is a tremendous talent. But Emmitt, in addition to being a tremendous talent, is durable. And let's face it, Percy is not going to have the career Emmitt had in the NFL. I truly hope he does wonders. I love watching him play and watched every Viking game that I could because he played for them. I will do the same with Seattle when he is healthy. Oh wait, he's injured.

If we had Emmitt, he would make this line look special. Name the guys who went on to become future pros that played on the OLine that blocked for Emmitt while he was at UF.
  18. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +497
    You don't need pros, you need good college blockers. We haven't had this for a few years. Our line has been dysfunctional. I doubt even Emmitt would make our line look much better with defenders consistently in our backfield.

I stand by my statement that Percy would be more helpful to this offense.
  19. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +858
    Well, I think a good way of being able to figure out if a college lineman (or any position player) is exceptional is to see if these players went on to play in the NFL. I think that is a very fair measure.

Emmitt made our line look very good in the late 80s, so much so that he left after his junior year as the school's all-time leading rusher. I don't recall any of those guys making it to the league.

And I stand by my comment, if you're going to be an offense that is a downhill rushing team, probably a good idea to have the guy who is perhaps in the top 5 in his position in the HISTORY of the entire sport carrying the rock for you.
  20. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +497
    Never said it wouldn't be helpful, just that the relative value increase would be greater with Percy. And we can quibble as to who really is the best RB in football.