Marcus Smart shoves Texas Tech fan

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by REM08, Feb 8, 2014.

1. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +879
    Not sure we should consider every young, black athlete and hold them to the standards of Hank Aaron and Jackie Robinson, two of the most well-tempered human beings of the last century.
  2. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +879
    Three games for Smart. Sounds about right to me.
  3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,170
    In perusing the Texas Tech boards, Orr (the fan) admitted to calling him a "piece of crap" and has said he will not attend any more games home or away (I think it's for the season).
  4. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    He gets set off by piece of crap? Doubtful. He probably hears worse than that several times a game every game. It was definitely something worse than that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,162
    Heck that kind of talk is as natural as trees in a forest in Yankee Stadium. My friend was sitting behind home plate and was yelling that kind of stuff at Carlos Delgado during a game. Problem was Delgado cracked two balls outside of the park back to back. The third time Carlos got up he looked directly back at my friend who had nothing to say.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. gatordelaltomaiz

gatordelaltomaiz Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Another video of it here:
    If you go to second 17, you can hear something that sounds like "...mmmffcrap."
  7. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +977
    I think it is easy to say it was something the normal fan wouldn't say based on his admission that he felt bad about saying it and the reaction. Smart probably hears how terrible he is as a basketball player every game from every opposing crowd. He isn't going to react to that.
  8. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +977
    I'll agree it sounds like he says "piece of crap" but if you watch the video whatever initially was said causes Smart to stand up and get in his face. Then he says something else and that is when Smart pushes him and walks away.
  9. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +977
    This is exactly the mindset that I have a problem with and honestly is what is wrong with a majority of sports going fans. Paying for a ticket does not give you the right to be a douche. Paying for a ticket gives you the right to watch the game in person. It doesn't give you the right to act unruly towards opposing fans. It doesn't give you the right to cross the line with players.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  10. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,224
    I've got a problem with calling Smart's shove an assault (or battery) also. I don't doubt that the shove probably meets the meaning of those terms in the legal world, but I also disagree with a lot of the "cases" that fill our courts to the breaking point - cases in which I think the judge should rule the case "not worth our time"

Watching them spend hours on this on Sports Center last night (when I was just waiting to see the story on the Heat's game :cool: and without benefit of seeing the Twitterverse explode and not being on this site until late), my main thoughts were on why are they spending so much time on this. Big deal, the kid shoved a guy and deserves a suspension (and the fat fan probably does also), but please!, let's move on. I probably saw the play replayed 50 times!!!:eek:

I think the 3-game suspension they gave him is reasonable (I said 2 games in my first post). But, that was not my prediction. I'm actually a little surprised the suspension wasn't much longer (maybe for the season) given our "make-a-mountain-out-of-a-molehill", "zero-tolerance*-is-our-catchword" society.

* - every time I hear the words "zero tolerance" I instantly think "zero common sense"
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702
    It sounds like piece of crap to me. It may just be me, but if I'd seen Julius Randle in this exact circumstance I wouldn't want to see him wear a UK jersey again. I realize I'm in the minority and am not saying this is the correct course of action necessarily.

Maybe I'm being too idealistic, but I wouldn't want that fan at a game again either. But if we start removing every fan who has hurled an insult at an opposing player then unfortunately it'd get harder and harder to fill arenas. I know fan is short for fanatic, but c'mon. Its just sad to see people make sports personal.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,170
    What's fascinating to me is how little coverage there has been about a guy in his 50's feeling the need to get into a verbal altercation with a teenager over a basketball game, and then looking proud about it when it was over.
    Just in the face of it, that in itself says a lot about how overly serious many treat college athletics.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Yeah, I hear piece of crap, but then it gets really loud. There is definitely something else said and you can almost make out the word Africa, but maybe I'm just imagining it.
  14. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +195
    The video shows Smart falling into the crowd and is not even looking in the direction of the so called fan. He all of a sudden jumps up and goes towards him. Now maybe that fan didn't say it, but something was said and he heard it.
  15. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,391
    I am usually the overly-idealistic one, but in this case . . . . I have some empathy.

For one, I think he responded to something more than "piece of crap". And there are various sources siting a racial slur. I simply think Marcus is now taking the high road, as is OSU. Regardless, he should not have shoved the fan.

Still, I think he made a regrettable decision in a highly competivitve and toxic situation. He reacted, and reacted very poorly. It is not an action I can condone, but it is one I can understand. These are still kids. . . and they are often thrown into a hornets nest. I know they are prepped for these type of scenarios, but I think his emotions took over.
    I cant help but cut the kid some slack.

And I am not suggesting mine is the right course of action, either.

But I am fine with the 3 game suspension.
  16. jrcg8tor

jrcg8tor Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +619
    If Harrison had shoved the Arkansas fan would you feel the same way? I know that
    Harrison did not go out of his way to encounter that fan, so it is not the exact circumstance.

Also, does anyone remember how long Powell was suspended in 07 when I think Vandy stormed the court after beating us?
  17. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,162
    Well he said something and that is obvious, the question is did he say what Smart alleged. People say many things toward players in competition as spectators and always have, but if the guy said what is alleged that crosses the line.
  18. gatordelaltomaiz

gatordelaltomaiz Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to defend the fan. Perhaps there was, indeed, more said. Take a look at this gif. It looks like Orr (the fan) waves his hand and says, "Sorry. I messed up." Then Smart pushes him. http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/marcus-smart-shoved-a-texas-tech-fan.gif

/not a lip reader
  19. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,006
    Smart definitely deserves to sit. Between this episode and the other footage from a TT-TAMU game, this turd of a human also deserves to sit... on his couch at home and watch the game.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702

AKA - I see your points. You're making sense on this.

jrc - Good example, I'd forgotten about that. In a case where a fan accosts a player I wouldn't view it as harshly as a player entering the stands. Oddly in sports (like when fans rush the court) there are actually times when players probably have to evaluate whether or not they need to defend themselves. However I bet I'd still want more of a suspension than the average fan in Aaron's case. In the end, its probably good my input isn't considered with these things I guess.