Marcus Smart shoves Texas Tech fan

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by REM08, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Angaza

Angaza Member

Ratings Received:
    +82
    There are degrees to everything. Physical actions range from a touch to a punch. Speech ranges from a kind word to a bigoted rant. I don't understand why everything is black and white and punitive to the players. Matt Walsh got punched when fans stormed the court. Opposing fans push players if they fall out of bounds. Fans can throw things at players and the court when they're walking to and from the tunnel. But we treat them with more nuance than these situations.

The fan shouldn't be banned either. It wasn't even a fight or that much of a confrontation.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,079
    Because you're then setting a precedent that nothing will happen; or at least nothing major. I'm not condoning fans acting stupid. I'm also not going to condone Smart acting that way. Players should never touch a spectator unless in self defense.
  3. Angaza

Angaza Member

Ratings Received:
    +82
    It hasn't happened until now because players know and are warned they will get in trouble, whether it is thrown out of the game or otherwise. He will be suspended for at least 2 games. But if he threw a punch, he deserves way more. He doesn't need to be suspended for the rest of the season to serve as a deterrent to others. The severity of his actions don't merit it. And players aren't going to start hitting fans now.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,079
    I'll agree to disagree because fans have been heckling players for a long time and this has recently became an issue. 1 time is too many and it's not the first. He's not considered the "Guinea Pig" here because it was the action he took. You may be correct in the punishment but I wouldn't agree. A game/sporting event should be a safe environment for fans from players. Had the fan initiated the contact then I'd be on your side.
  5. rtgator

rtgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +871
    NOT the same thing. Noah was swiping at the pom poms being shaken in his face. He was not going after the girl.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +633
    Even if the fan was a total douche, he paid for his ticket and has a right to be where he is. Marcus Smart does not have the right to physically shove a fan, no matter what the fan says. If the fan is being overly disruptive, then it is up to security and/or the police to take care of it, not the player. Mr. Smart was not too smart there. He should be, and likely will be, suspended for a substantial number of games, if not the rest of the season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +633
    The ex-cop, Curtis Reeves, had no justification for shooting Chad Oulson...NONE. I hope Reeves dies in prison.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +936
    Yeah, absolutely absurd comparison.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,613
    I don't care what anyone says.... if the fan used the N word, or something of that nature, I don't blame Smart. I really don't. That fan only said it because he knew he was protected. I guarantee he wouldn't say that to him outside the arena. Really want to hear what the exact words were.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. jrcg8tor

jrcg8tor Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +622
    There are any number of differences between the two. I don't remember if there were any technicals called on the Noah play, but I do not think there were. Noah was on the court in I believe a live ball situation. You could have called a technical on UK for their cheerleaders action. She knew what she was doing.

I can understand Smart's frustration and believe the fan should also be disciplined, but a player should never ever go after a fan. What a powder keg that could have turned into.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,079
    And? If he did say it it was said inside the arena. I doubt anybody would question whether or not he'd say it to his face on the street. That has no bearing on this situation. To condone it is another problem in itself. Smart was not being threatened so his retaliation was unwarranted.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. gatorr4life

Ratings Received:
    +2,613
    Guess we disagree. If you have the stones (and stupidity) to use the N word at a player, then you better be prepared for the repercussions.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. gatorr4life

Ratings Received:
    +2,613
    You wouldn't be saying this if you were black.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,079
    Yes I would and every race experiences it so lets not go there and hijack the thread. A single word cannot and should not take you out of your character. He should value himself more.
  15. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,079
    And I'd have no problem with that if it was on the street but it wasn't. It was around innocent people. People with kids who went to enjoy a basketball game. Once again, don't confuse my dismay for Smarts reaction to me condoning the jackass of a fan. Smart should've known better. That's it. We are all responsible for our own actions and he chose wrong.
  16. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +698
    Now that everyone has weighed in, my final statement is this: Smart should be suspended for a couple of games. The fan should be suspended forever. I have little doubt that Oklahoma State will do the right thing. If Texas Tech does nothing about its "superfan", I hope they never win another game. In any sport.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +879
    Doh.

I'm in the camp that says two wrongs don't make a right. Both people made a mistake. Both, I'm sure, regret it. No reason to suspend him more than a few games, IMO. And if I were TTU I'd tell the fan that he's welcome as long as he is cordial enough to get along with those on and off the court. Another incident and he isn't welcomed back.

It's important to remember one is a grown man and the other is 19 years old.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. lhnewman

lhnewman Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +385
    I'm not a lawyer...but, I think you call what Smart did: " assault " and he could be prosecuted?? lawyers weigh in

what Smart did is way over the top, no matter if his feelings were hurt...many Afro-Americans have withstood much, much more and chose to act civilly as a proper response...with greater results....Henry Aaron, Jackie Robinson, are just a few...what this ass said to Smart is nothing in comparison..if racial slurs were spoken action should be taken against the fan
  19. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,202
    Okie State presser in about a half hour supposedly.
  20. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,218