March on Washington 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator996, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,370

Aren't inflammatory posts like this sufficient to close the thread, as is done elsewhere ?
  2. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,137
    As for the March this weekend. I tend to agree that lately race has become such a divisive issue. When you see the photos above you see folks marching in remembrance of an event meant to bring about civil rights equality - equal facilities, equal educational opportunities...an event meant to bring the races CLOSER.

Then you see that it's lead by Sharpton and Co. Then you see people with Trayvon Martin shirts - a case which only brought race relations further apart in this country. Then you see the American flag with Obama's picture on it, who didn't help race relations either during the Martin case. So all of a sudden instead of it being a unifying event it just smacks of divisiveness.

Someone asked about what MLK would think about society today. How do you think he'd react to the attitude of entitlement among youth? How do you think he would react to the crime rate among African Americans, especially amongst each other? How do you think he'd to the attitude that the only reason something happens is race, and not perhaps something else? How do you think he'd react to reverse racism? How do you think he'd react to blacks now having access to what his generation fought so hard for, and then throwing it away in favor of gangs, drugs...the thug life?

I feel MLK was meant to stand for ALL civil rights - remember his speech? It was about not being judged by anything but the merits of your actions, not the color of your skin. To an extent life has reverted to just that. Someone can't defend themselves - it must be race. Someone can't turn down an applicant because they're not qualified - it must be race and not qualifications.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +2,370

Thanks for trying to deal with the REAL underlying issues of accountability, responsibility, and character development, Ice.

Unfortunately, nobody with an investment of either attitude, exploitation, or self-interest in the industry of RACE, wants to hear it.

The racial paradigm that used to be the end-all, be-all of all minorities' problems, is DEAD; it is no longer the white folks' cross to bear.

Yet, the zombies walk.
  4. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    So much of our society seemingly has learned this trait that there must be someone or something to blame other than ourselves, and I think this applies to everyone. It seems as if there are many who are always looking for anything to excuse what happens to them, or even their actions, but perhaps this is just a human-trait.
  5. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +2,370

Waiting on folks like Jackson / Sharpton to acknowledge and address the real problem, will take much character development on their own part. I don't see it happening in my lifetime.

Actually, Colonel Allen West and Juan Williams in fact addressed the issue - head on - last week on Hannity. I can't find an excerpt of their comments (would post it if I could); however, that was the first time I have ever heard two distinguished African Americans deal with the REAL problems of the black, urban communities, in such honest terms.
  6. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

What's inflammatory about this?

There's an active discussion of:

1. whether any defacing of the US flag is OK
    2. whether flags of protest are the same as flags officially representing organizations

Are you simply bothered by the picture of the klan with a confederate flag?
  7. reformedgator

reformedgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +283
    If you want to make all cases that involve members of different races that has a controversial outcome a legitimate racial incidence then yes you have an argument. But it's to be expected that the losing party will be claim that the system failed them. That's human nature but it doesn't mean that it was racially motivated.
    People have opinions about everything but when those opinions turn out to be based on emotion rather than reality, they tend to lose credibility. Like a public figure extolling virtue & family values only to be discovered he's an adulterer with
    illegitimate children on the side. He may have a good message, but he shouldn't be the one delivering it.
  8. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

Race relations have become a divisive issue recently?

Maybe if you're in the majority...

Because if you're in the majority, you don't think about institutional racism affecting your life.

Not very unlike the Sixties in America where until the movement became televised did the majority of white America begin to be moved on the issue of race relations.

Up until then, most white Americans wondered openly "What the hell are Black Americans angry about?"

Did blacks have something to be angry about in the 60's in your opinion?

Did most of white America not recognize it for a couple of hundred years?

While you ask those those questions of MLK....think about what he would have thought about those questions for people of every color.

White kids and their feelings of entitlement...
    White kids and their drug use...
    White reverse racism charges...
    Whites not believing that racial bias exists today...

Your myopic view of who you think King was solely talking to and what his reaction to 21st century America today shows the lack of understanding (or denial) of what King said in the 60's.

Like it or not, he was talking about many things including the injustice of the American society created by whites and carried out on blacks.

Some like to speculate what King would have said about black America today....

What do you think he would say about White America today?
  9. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +2,370

Bothered ? Hardly.

But I wouldn't want to get in your way to foist blame on the entire human race, and more especially, those not of color, for the contemporaneous problems of all African-Americans . . . which of course, in your estimation, are all attributable to some form of racism and bigotry.

Get 'effing real, and get your head out of your . . . agenda. You might be able to see that the real problem in ALL communities - and especially in inner-city, minority communities - is the classic one ALL people on the face of the earth have to deal with: character development, accountability, and consequences for choices and actions. See, e.g., MLK, 1963 speech: "I have a dream."

That those factors, questions, and challenges persist in each of our lives no matter where we are, who we are, and what race we are, and that each and every one of us is burdened with facing those issues and formulating a personal, individual answer to all of them, has nothing to do with racism.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Rep if I could. Spot on sir.
  11. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,137

I answered some in bold - but like I said he would've been right to say it about ALL races. However, Sharpton & Co are the ones who have proclaimed themselves to carry out MLK's legacy. All those people marching in DC were there to honor MLKs legacy. So his possible opinion on the state of affairs in that community is a valid one. He would probably weep at the level of black-on-black crime, the level of blacks dropping out, how blacks treat each other (usage of the N word, for example), etc because these were the people, these were the generations HIS generation worked so hard for. It may have been for all races, but you're kidding yourself if you don't believe this all started (rightfully so) as a result of the laws and social injustices that blacks faced. I doubt MLK would be happy with folks making a crutch and excuse of racism as a reason not to even try to get ahead versus taking personal responsibility for their actions, versus taking stock of what they could've done differently to get ahead or how they could work harder. It's much easier to blame race, and harder to look to oneself.

Do I know what it's like to be black? No. I'm Hispanic. Plenty of hate and racism directed at me from both blacks AND whites (and heck from other Hispanics for looking too "American"). Overcoming such things and succeeding is what makes America what it is. Or at least used to be. Far more fashionable to blame everyone around you about how unfair life is than to work against that and push ahead.
  12. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,942
    I think MLK would be weeping, for himself. 50 years and I was assassinated for THIS!?!

I do think that much of the black culture and the lack of progress is rooted in the "banding together" concept that in all likelihood allowed them to survive the slavery and post-slavery eras. But now that concept, and a base mistrust of "whitey" gets in the way. I hope that there is a "Tea Party" kind of effort underway by discerning blacks who are ready to move on and if a large contingent are going to "stay on the plantation" then they are prepared to wish them luck and move on. Otherwise it seems that playing the race card and remaining a permanent victim is about all there will be in the future.
  13. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

14. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

Let me first deal with the bolded....

Originally Posted by gator996

Race relations have become a divisive issue recently?
    More than it has been in previous years, yes - especially due to the TM/GZ case.

Yes, under Bush racial divisiveness as a topic of discussion slowed for who?
    Black people? :laugh:

But post the financial crisis.... now with the competition for jobs & survival and minorities flexing the political muscle on the national scene...

Race has "flared up" in the minds of white people.

Newsflash...it never went away for most minorities.

Maybe if you're in the majority...Not yet, but I will be - I'm Hispanic

And?
    Your response has no relevancy to why the point was made.

Because if you're in the majority, you don't think about institutional racism affecting your life. Have faced plenty of racism myself, as well as my family

Good. Then you agree...those in the minority experience & have to deal with racism differently than the majority, right?

So we agree.

Not very unlike the Sixties in America where until the movement became televised did the majority of white America begin to be moved on the issue of race relations.

Up until then, most white Americans wondered openly "What the hell are Black Americans angry about?"

Did blacks have something to be angry about in the 60's in your opinion? Yes, as did other minorities. Please show me where I said anything that would remotely have you think I didn't think blacks had something to be angry about

Those rhetorical questions were presented to show while some think racial divisiveness has sprung up out of nowhere now should realize that's how it was perceived back then also.

Ya know, the time you agree black people had something to be angry about.

White people back then didn't see it either.

That's EXACTLY what you're doing by saying racial divisiveness is on the rise because of the actions of Sharpton or Obama.

They said the same about MLK (and every other black leader) back then also....

MLK was seen as a controversial, dangerous radical, communist enemy of the state...

Sound familiar?

Did most of white America not recognize it for a couple of hundred years?

While you ask those those questions of MLK....think about what he would have thought about those questions for people of every color. I said that. I said his views were for ALL races

White kids and their feelings of entitlement...
    White kids and their drug use...
    White reverse racism charges...
    Whites not believing that racial bias exists today...

"....these were the generations HIS generation worked so hard for"

Everyone is part of the generations King worked so hard for.

Your myopic view of who you think King was solely talking to and what his reaction to 21st century America today shows the lack of understanding (or denial) of what King said in the 60's.

Like it or not, he was talking about many things including the injustice of the American society created by whites and carried out on blacks. And those of other races, too

Some like to speculate what King would have said about black America today....

What do you think he would say about White America today?

Do you see much discussion around here regarding what MLK would think of "White" America since the 60's?

Naaaaaah..... :jeez: :wink: :whistle:
  15. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    MLK today on white America:

Damn, these white folks have bent over backwards for us.

Another thing. When you call someone a clown, at least use the proper form of you are?

I mean, as if your status could get anymore embarrassing...
  16. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

Typing while doing tons of other things...

Gotta love the grammar police here thinking they're making a valuable point. :wave:

BTW- If you honestly believe that would be MLK's response then you probably would have been the type of person to not see what blacks were protesting for in the 60's either.

Ignorance is bliss...
  17. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +448
    So now we are allowed to flat insult one another?

If I say that a poster (not named) is a jacka$$ is that ok as well? Especially if they disagree with me?

Because after reading through this thread it is apparent that there are a few donkeys braying very loudly.
  18. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +4,137
    Please tell me you're being sarcastic.
  19. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

That wasn't a comparison of case detail....

Its a rhetorical question asking who determines whether a case has a racial angle or not?

And if you disagree, the person claiming it loses all credibility and you don't have to acknowledge the issues they raise?

Must make it easy to not confront anything you disagree with....
  20. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

This whole "issue" is being discussed because some conservatives took this as another opportunity to attack Obama....

The hypocrisy of their own rules was shown by the lack of outrage when the Teaparty did the same....

BTW - go back and read the comments regarding the confederate flag & the klan in this thread...again the point you made doesn't have anything to do with why they were brought up in this discussion.

My point was the confederate & klan symbols were far more serious & disgusting than the Obama flag....for a whole lot of reasons.

Your comment doesn't really have anything to do with that.