March on Washington 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator996, Aug 24, 2013.

1. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Ok let's make it even simpler for Michi...

The Obama flag will not be seen again until maybe another protest because its a symbol that doesn't represent any group.

It may never be seen again

The other flags mentioned were the symbols of actual organizations now or in the past...

Harry Potter's school had a flag...should I consider that as serious as a klan flag also? :crazy:
  2. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,578
    The flag represents that stupid numbnut holding it. It represents anybody who looks at it and says "ooh, cool". It is the ontological nature of a flag or banner to represent, it can't do anything else. There is no such thing as a symbol that doesn't *symbolize*. Sorry if that all rockets well overhead, but it is what it is.

Let's play with what you probably think was this really cutting remark about Harry Potter but actually just showed your bum -- real life Harry Potter fans at a convention, carrying banners and pennants; do you think they chose which one to carry at random? Or did the ones who feel like waving a Griffyndor flag choose to do because they want to be identified with the things that that stood for in the fictional world, which is to say, because it represents them?

For that matter, do you have any Gator gear, maybe a car flag? Why do you fly it instead of an FSU flag? For that matter, why don't you fly a UF flag that has a Calvin peeing on Albert? Would that be because it would not represent you, or because it would advertise a disdain for what the flag symbolized? Obviously. Children understand this.

So whoever put that flag together, whoever carries it, it represents what they think about the man, the country, or both. It has no other function.

Hopefully you are right and we don't see it again, though. Maybe the sad sack fools carrying them will get a clue or some self-respect or even the dullest understanding or or love for this country.
  3. baygator1

baygator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,572
    NM
  4. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    It represents laziness.
  5. bposs

bposs Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Who could forget these darling kids being brain washed? I'm sure this school uses that Obama flag to pledge allegiance to each morning.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PJFC1qFCgyA
  6. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,521
    your supposed protest flag is a violation of our Flag Code Article 8

the Confederate Flag was the symbol of the CSA during the Civil War- some would even say it was a symbol of slavery and oppression- many of my family members died fighting for that flag but I do not view it as appropriate for me to display that flag even though it is part of my heritage

many of my family members died fighting for the American Flag too- and the obama sign is not only a sign of disrespect for our National symbol, but I find it disrespectful to my family members who died fighting for the Flag
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
  8. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
  9. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
  10. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Funny I don't remember any of your flag outrage when the Teaparty was "desecrating" the stars & stripes... :roll:

Confederate & Klan symbols are more troublesome IMHO...

[​IMG]
  11. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
  12. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,521
    I find the KKK despicable and it pains me greatly to see them use the Confederate flag to push their cause

all the other flags are a desecration to our national symbol and should not be allowed
  13. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +1,578
    996 clearly didn't comprehend my point about a substantive change to the flag. The tea party overlay is tacky, but it doesn't actually replace any element of the flag itself. And the references to the concepts contained within our founding documents is hardly defacing in purpose or effect.

But, again, both the 2012 campaign art and that vile mess from yesterday take an element of the flag, deem it unworthy, and replace it with Obama. Obama > a union of 50 sovereign states is the symbolism, and I fully expect it was intentional by whomever designed both flags.
  14. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

Was that the case in the Teaparty flag that has Obama's face in it too?

Where are the stars in that flag?

Do you really think anyone is buying the BS your selling about this? :laugh:
  15. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    They lose all credibilty by hanging onto the "justice for Trayvon" mantra. What a freaking joke.
  16. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Who loses all credibility?

:huh:
  17. reformedgator

reformedgator VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +148
    Those who are trying to make the Martin case a racial one. There's certainly legitimate racial incidences without having to manufacture them.
  18. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Was Emmet Til a "legitimate" racial incidence?
    How about Jordan Davis?
    Was OJ a "legitimate" racial incidence?
    Amadou Diallo?

The legal decision in those closed cases were controversial and one side, either white or black, felt the system operated correctly and the other side didn't.

Does that make them any less involved with the issue of race?

People with opinions in those matters and others are "not credible"?

I guess because they don't agree with you?
  19. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +1,578
    The Martin/Till comparison is a quick way for people to void out any intellectual respect or personal credibility they ever had. It is a shame that Oprah decided to make that display of ignorance part of her legacy.
  20. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,826
    My opinion? Sorry no one should be altering the United States flag. Period. The one with the Patriot head - borderline. The one that has all the writing over it, the Obama ones....should NOT happen. The Confederate flag - represents many things and NOT just the Klan. BTW I've seen Klan people and other Neo-Nazis holding US Flags along with Confederate ones and Nazi ones. It doesn't automatically make the US Flag a symbol of the KKK.

However, here is the problem with the flag issue. We can be insulted. We can defend them. We can be all ticked off, etc....the problem is that the US Flag and what our nation was founded on includes the ability of people to express themselves freely.

I think this quote from the movie "The American President" works well for this:

"America is advanced citizenship. You gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country can't just be a flag; the symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then, you can stand up and sing about the "land of the free"."