Marc Anthony: "I'm an American, too"

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by icequeen, Jul 20, 2013.

1. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,025
    http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=818701&ocid=ansent11

"Apparently, some people need to be reminded that Marc Anthony is an American.

The New York-born singer of Puerto Rican descent touted his roots on "Live With Kelly and Michael" on Thursday after some people criticized his selection to sing "God Bless America" at this week's Major League Baseball All-Star Game, held in New York City.

In an interview, the Grammy-winning salsa star said that he heard people were questioning why a foreign-born person was singing the patriotic song. Anthony said he was born in New York and added: "You can't get more New York than me."

Similar comments were made last month when a Texas-born, 11-year-old mariachi singer sang the national anthem during the NBA finals. Both Anthony and the child are Latino."

From the comments below that one and from what I've seen other places online, people were screaming at him to go back where he came from, why do we have to tolerate Mexicans in this country...etc. It's shameful behavior, especially when they had a similar incident to this with that kid during the NBA finals, too. What does that teach him?

When I was younger and would go dancing, I kid you not one of my cousins with me was asked for her passport because she had her Puerto Rican driver's license. She patiently told him it was part of the US. He said last he checked, Columbia wasn't part of the US so no passport, no entry. PR - not part of Columbia.

Yes there are illegals here, but just because someone is Hispanic doesn't make them a foreigner, illegal, whatever.
  2. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,228
    Wow. Stunning ignorance.

Puerto Ricans ARE Americans!
  3. mocgator

mocgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +574
    I loved him in Van Halen.
  4. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +476

well......depends on which ones you ask
  5. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +942
    Ignorance is something the human race will never exhaust. Some thoughts & definitions:

!. Although we in the USA, due to our media & financial clout, claim the moniker "American" the rest of this hemisphere feels, believes they are Americans too. A Canadian and a Mexican are both North Americans. A Brazilian is a South American, etc. Amerigo Vespucci - who was the first to recognize the Western Hemisphere was NOT part of India - landed in Brazil.

2. Due primarily to topography (usually mountains) Latin Americans are separated from their neighbors and speak differently (and often look differently). Calling a Mexican a Puerto RIcan or vice versa is not well received. It would be akin to a foreigner confusing SEC football with the ACC brand: why not? They're both football, they're played in the South, they're contiguous - of course it's the same. Sorry, it's not.

3. Colombia is a country. Columbia is a school or the Federal district that houses our government. English prounounces them the same - they are spelled differently. If you forget (and care to be accurate) remember "U" are a US citizen = Washington, District of Columbia. Columbia is a "University", Columbus, Ohio houses Urban Meyer...pretty much everything in the USA (America?) is spelled with a "U".

4. The USA was founded with some great ideals AND we were dirt bags too. We killed and quaranteened the Native American (HAH! another bunch Americans!) population rather than enslaving them and mixing with them like most of the rest of the Americas. Much of our nation has Spanish names (Florida, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California) and we obtained much of it by the gun and some cash. Hmmm...that sounds vaguely familiar.

Because we are so strong economically and militarily we have not had to give a rats rear about knowing more about other countries and caring a bit about the differences. I'm glad we're now having to show more courtesy & respect but I'm not happy that the reason is because we need the foreign investment vs. having class enough to care. The ignorant will jeer Marc Anthony or the mariachi singer because they know not what they do.
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,350
    :laugh:

Me too.
  7. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,025
    I'm Puerto Rican. That makes me an American, US Citizen. The cultural identity aside, we are given the same rights, we give the same blood in wars, etc. That most of us speak 2 or more languages is an asset ;)
  8. mocgator

mocgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +574
  9. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,350
    He could sing the National Anthem too.
  10. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,944
    Stupid thing to be upset about, regardless of the factual error. It would actually be a sign of respect and good fellowship if he *were* born outside the US (and even outside our territory) and still singing in America's honor. My sisters and I had the rare occasion to perform the national anthem at an Orioles game about a decade ago, and, since they were hosting the Blue Jays, we also performed "Oh, Canada" -- which is what is customary. None of, though, are Canadian. Dire insult, or collegial respect?

So Marc Anthony could have been born on Mars and him singing our "1A" national song at a sporting event is actually great homage.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,350
    This.
  12. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +1,944
    My only objection to Marc Anthony is "You Sang To Me". He gets significant brofists for his bedpost, though.
  13. oragator1

oragator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    People in this country are generally ignorant to the rest of the world, and combining that with the xenophobic element that is present almost anywhere is a bad combo. It's embarrassing though.

But on Puerto Rico, I only went there once, but when I did I stayed at the Dupont Plaza hotel. Not long after I stayed there the DP had an arson and nearly 100 guests were killed. I remember I was at my grandmothers and the nightly news came on to pictures of the hotel on fire and I said "Jesus Christ, I stayed there!". All my Irish Catholic grandmother said back was "Don't say Jesus Christ!"
    I actually have a few good stories from that trip, but for another day :)
  14. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +761
    Reminds me of the telephonic ticket order taker from the '96 Atlanta games who told the caller from Albuquerque NM that they had to call the organizing committee in their own country to order Olympic tickets. "I'm from NEW Mexico" the caller said. "New Mexico, Old Mexico, doesn't matter; you have to call your own country" and hung up.

Was driving down the road about a year later during the Games and passed a house that had a huge sign in front. "official residence of the New Mexican Olympic team" or something similar with about a dozen cars w/ New Mexico tags parked out front.

Some of our folks may not be the brightest bulbs in the pack, but we have a sense of humor.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Do you sing? Still?
  16. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Puerto Ricans are Amer Ricans.
  17. MastaG8r

MastaG8r New Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    The issue is not whether being from Puerto Rico makes you an American or not. Marc Anthony was born in New York! He's of Puerto Rican descent, not a native Puerto Rican.

On that note, I saw icequeen's post but have to say that the Puerto Ricans I know, like a former boss of mine, would be more likely to say "Puerto Rican" than "American" if you ask them their nationality. But admittedly, being in Miami gives me a skewed perspective on that. Hispanic people here are big on distinguishing or identifying themselves based on national heritage. So typically if you ask an American-born Miamian of Colombian descent what nationality she is, she'll say Colombian.
  18. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +1,944
    Mostly to my steering wheel, and not as well as once upon a.
  19. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    I thought Marc Anthony was a Roman. Didn't he sing at Caesar's funeral?
  20. boligator

boligator Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    I've traveled extensively around the world and in fact am currently living in ColOmbia (yes, not ColUmbia). What is obvious through my experiences living overseas is that "U.S Americans" are probably the most ignorant people around regarding their understanding of the world beyond their own borders. People down here occasionally point out to me that they are "Americans" too. In fact, my national ID card lists me as an "estadudiense" or a "statesman". Some find it very arrogant that people in the US consider themselves to be the "only" Americans. I guess this stems from the fact that we are a very insulated society and most don't give a hoot about others outside their own very limited experiences. That and too much "reality" TV, game shows and trips to Walmart. You would not believe how many times I've been asked where "ColUmbia" is when I'm back in the states (is that in south america???!!!!). It was worse when I was living in Kazakhstan!