Manziel = Tarkenton

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by bullish, Sep 15, 2013.

1. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +297
    Think about Saturday at Texas A&M. Manziel was having fun all day. Everytime the camera was on him he was smiling and chomping at the bit to get back in there. Alabama we all know is about a great defense whether this year they are young but stout. They couldn't touch him. Now think if we played at Alabama this week, Driskel would have been hit a lot and probably hurt.

Manziel is a great QB and proves it week after week. After we beat him last year he figured it out and now with an offensive coach like Sumlin, terror rains on those who have to compete with him. If LSU beats Alabama and plays Texas A&M for the SEC West, don't count out Texas A&M being in Atlanta. I know we Gators think we could take him again, but with the Television platform there for him to provide his skill and antics, I shudder to think what might happen. I can hear it now from the announcers, Florida'a defense shut him down last year but Johnny has said it won't happen again. We play in the SEC championship game, "optimistic", get blown out 42 - 17. Johnny Football wins another Heisman. Of course Johnny has both hands doing the show me the money routine. uggggggggggggh

I now know how opposing teams felt when we had Tebow.
  2. 93KSig

93KSig Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    He is a phenom. Who would have thought that big 12 offense would put those numbers up against bama. They might be changing the sec more than the sec is changing our new big 12 addition.
  3. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
    I'm pretty sure Bama won the game. But, entertaining nonetheless.
  4. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Wasn't the OP very specifically not drawing a comparison between us and Bama?
  5. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +936
    Haters gonna hate. The kid is incredible. Rather than whine about what a douchebag he is or how he won't make the NFL (clearly you haven't paid attention to the NFL the past few years), you should enjoy watching a special player.
  6. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,900
    No thanks.
  7. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,042
    Good post. There is substantial envy here about Manziel. We've had quarterbacks at Florida of questionable off-field character, party boys, etc., and never trashed them for it when they were gunslinging it all over the field.

Put Johnny in Orange and Blue and he would be a folk hero, the Tebow for the party set. We'd turn him into another Broadway Joe...
  8. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    Manziel is the closest thing to being a "Natural" football player. He came to Texas A&M with his set of skills and coaching would ruin him. I rooted for Bama but even though A&M lost Johnnny didn't lose! He is unbelievably good...Oh and forget the nofunleague comment . I don't mention the nfl in the same breatf as college ball because the nofunleague has great players but it is very boring.
  9. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +842
    Lsu beat A&M last yr on the road. I see no reason to think they wont do it again at Baton Rouge. With the Aggies defense, they could easily lose 3 games. In fact, Im looking forward to the Ole Miss game in October. That should be quite a shoot out.
  10. bullish

Ratings Received:
    +297
    LSU will have to prove against better competition that they can score 40 or more pts. With Johnny Football, you always feel watching him, he will find a way. So not so fast my friend. Beating LSU and whoever in the SEC Championship, if they make it, could give Johnny a strong chance at winning the Heisman again. His team's schedule and fantastic performances like Saturday are hard to deny someone who is athletically gifted. I don't like his behavior he has exuded this off season and probably lying to the NCAA, but his competitive nature and look of enjoying the games so much makes me look at him with a competitors respect. Thanks whoever changed the spelling in the Title.

Remember, Kevin Sumlin, I hope this spelling is right, is an offensive minded coach who likes a good passing game. He had some good years at Houston. Like Hargraves playing with a great Defensive coach, Johnny with a great offensive coach, and they are rolling along putting up great numbers on great teams. LSU will have they hands full when A&M and Johnny come to Baton Rouge. We get our chance first, hopefully we can put a second whipping on them, but we will have to improve greatly to win in Death Valley.
  11. hd80dun

hd80dun New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    No, I typed it because I know there might be few sharp people reading this and I wanted them to see that the problem was just that you couldn't understand for some reason. :wave:
  12. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,900
    Whatever makes you sleep better at night. Either way, we were still compared to Bama again which is what I addressed. No long drawn out post will change that. :wave:
  13. GatorJeff

GatorJeff Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    It's Manziel, not the "Big 12 offense". There's not an unlimited supply of JFFs. Oklahoma scored more than 60 points in five consecutive games leading up to 2008 BCS Championship Game. Against the Gators they scored 14. Bama, LSU and Florida aren't going to suddenly be recruiting 5' 10" jitterbug quarterbacks and running no huddle offenses in a silly effort to duplicate it.
  14. bullish

Ratings Received:
    +297
    Gator Jeff, you made me remember a 5'9" walk on QB we had when we were on probation, Larry Ochab. He was a pretty good QB and it makes me want to look up stats to see if we had more offensive points and yards than we are chalking up now. In college as we have seen time and time again, people that won't be denied, like Flutie, BYU's Jim, Colt McCoy, Ga.'s QB and others have put up great numbers not letting other people put them down due to size or not being a five star. What Manziel should bring to Florida's coaches minds, is that we should recruit players that can get it done at QB that are heady and can lead their teams to championships. Grier is a good commitment and I hope he can deliver like he has in HS. I like Jeff Driskel, he is impressive physicallly, but his touch on passes seems to me to be a missile every time he rears back. I think if he gets hurt, god forbid, we will see others in the fold who can get the ball to receivers with a little touch. Either way I hope Jeff and the offense can provide more offense than what we have seen, we will need it in the weeks to come. More offense, my meaning is scoring anyway the offense can find a way to get six pts consistently.
  15. GatorJeff

GatorJeff Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    I remember Larry Ochab (Dr. O) very well. Ochab quarterbacked the Gators in 1979, the year they finished with an 0-10-1 record and only averaged 9.6 points per game. The Gators point totals that year were 10, 7, 10, 3, 0, 10, 13, 10, 3, 16 and 24. The 16 came aginst against FSU and the 24 came against Miami. Believe me, our offense is a lot better now.