Manziel on Time Cover -paying athletes

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorPrincess8, Sep 5, 2013.

1. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,212
  2. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,564
    I love all of the "pay the athletes" articles/supporters that never mention Title IX.....
  3. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    I love all of the "pay the athletes" supporters who were nowhere to be found when Dez Bryant, Terrelle Pryor, A.J. Green and several others were in the NCAA spotlight.
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,239

Your kidding right? This is not a new battle cry.
  5. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,819
    Start paying college athletes, start killing college football as we know it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    or they get a crap load already and compensated enough for being able to play foosball
  7. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    the push for paying athletes has never been stronger than it is now
  8. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    by idiots that think that they get nothing now and hope their school can outbid the rest of them
  9. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    I don't even care whether they get paid or not.

I'm just wondering - of all the athletes that have been in this predicament, why Johnny Manziel? Why does Time magazine have him on their cover? Why not Terrelle Pryor when he was villified? Or A.J. Green when he was suspended for a few games or any of the other players over the years? Dez Bryant had to sit out for having lunch with Deion (which he lied to the NCAA about, but he got nowhere near the support from mainstream America Manziel is.)

This isn't a new issue so why are they making this spoiled brat who has laughed in the face of the NCAA and media the coverboy for the debate of paying student athletes?
  10. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    I was listening to the DP show this week and he talked to an accountant. Mention how much 'free' stuff the athletes get is much more than just the scholarship and normal people would have to pay tax on everything.
    Tuition, books, food, room, board, tutors, travel expenses, bowl swag, tickets, etc.
    I feel that college players should not be paid, but they should lower the age requirement for the NFL.
    College football should not be their free minor league, the NFL should setup its own.
  11. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +1,564
    $5,500/year Pell Grant (free money they never have to pay back)...and that's just the start.
  12. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    Revoke the scholarship if they are supposed to get paid.
  13. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Why would an athlete have to pay taxes on expenses the university incurs? Have you ever worked for a company? Don't they pay your travel expenses when you travel on their behalf? Don't they pay for food while you are traveling on business? Don't they pay for safety equipment if you're in a plant? Why do you expect an athlete to pay for the university's business?

You guys are misguided on this. Pell grants were given to athletes starting in 2004 I believe in order to make up the difference in what a scholarship doesn't provide. I won't get into details but there is a difference between a scholarship that pays room, board, education, fees AND actual need. This difference is much needed for many kids, especially those that come from disadvantaged households. It's not limited to football players, all athletes can qualify. There's also kids that get academic schollies that get grants and loans as well. Why do so many people want to treat athletes like animals? Cage them, feed them, beef them up for your entertainment but don't let them get ahead in life??? Plantation mentality.

Every time I hear someone say that athletes are already making enough money, I know right away that they were not athletes. And yes, I agree that all athletes, men and woman should be paid. College athletics is a job, it's much more than a full time job for most people. They should be paid equal to what they bring to the university and not be some sweat shop worker. Most of these kids are sacrificing their education by playing sports. Most could graduate a lot earlier if they didn't have to work their craft. Many of these athletes are sacrificing their bodies. Many years later, I am dealing with a lot of medical problems from playing for UF. Is UF paying any of my medical bills today? Hell no.

Johnny Manziel will bring TAM $38 million dollars this year in revenue. Do you really think room and board is equitable? That's a joke. These schools are running cash/ATM factories. They are taking, chewing and spitting out these kids by the boatloads and once you're eligibility is used up they kick you to the curve. Sure, you get a free education. Big deal. I pay more for my 2 year old in day care than what the university pays for a student athlete. It's pathetic.

14. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    fine pay them, then make them pay for their own tuition (out of state for those out of state students too) and pay for their own books, insurance, tutors, and rooms. I'd bet they would change their mind fast.

I'm sorry they get thousands of dollars of free crap because they can play football. thousands of other students are eating top ramen while they're eating steak from the athletic facilities.

plenty of students are working part time, just to have money to but a few things and then these cry babies complain about not being able to get something.

All of them have iPhone5's or the next hot electronic item, they all get crap from the bowl games, they get enough and shouldn't be paid a dollar
  15. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +1,564
    Here we go again. Yeah, big deal...they get a free education.

Pell Grants have been given to athletes (from low income families) since Pell Grants were invented.

Do you know what Title IX is? If not, google it.

Then, realize that when you "pay" anything to a college football player you will have to pay that same amount to every athlete within the athletic program. That includes the woman's golf team, men's cross-country, lacrosse, etc.

Sure, we know UF could afford to pay it's 300+ scholarship athletes a "stipend". But can Toledo? Can Bowling Green? Can Idaho? Can North Texas? Can Georgia State? Can all of the other minor/smaller athletic programs? The answer is not only "NO"...but "HELL NO!".

If you'll take the time to do some research you'll learn that only 20-some D1 athletic programs MAKE money after it's all said and done. So where does the money come from?

Again, we all know SEC programs would find a way to do it....but the problem is it's not just SEC schools that are included in this arguement.

Additionally, Maziel is one in a million. Literally. Very few college athletes become professionals. In fact, it's a fraction a percentage point. So that "big deal" of an education is a "big deal" to most of them. And to start life debt free of college student loans is a pretty nice head start for the average Joe who got a free education and never started a game in his collegiate career.

It's easy to sit there and beat your chest and make comments like, "Plantation mentality" (which is a complete joke)....but by doing so you are proving to everyone on this message board you don't know what in the hell you're talking about! And while you type your rebuttal please explain how Idaho State University is going to afford to pay it's woman's soccer team the same money that football players at the University of Florida are getting....
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +322
    Aren't they already getting a free ride through college?
  17. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,212
    Yes, They already get a free education.
  18. gnvgator

gnvgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,194
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,825
    Exactly! If the poor boys want money to play in college... stop recruiting them... see what some of our 'pay for play idiots' here say about that.
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Simple solution:

No more three years removed from high school nonsense for professional leagues. I realize most kids aren't ready for the NFL at 18 but this would really push the NFL to work on developmental leagues.

Then college football is just full of kids who are willing to play in exchange for an education. It will operate a little more closely to the way baseball operates. There will be fewer kids who go to college because there's no other way to become a professional football player.