Many disability recipients admit they could work

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Jul 30, 2013.

1. mocgator

mocgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +681
    No kidding? Wow... Who would have guessed that??

http://washingtonexaminer.com/exogr...ipients-admit-they-could-work/article/2533626

Recipients of federal disability checks often admit that they are capable of working but cannot or will not find a job, that those closest to them tell them they should be working, and that working to get off the disability rolls is not among their goals.

More baffling, most have never received significant medical treatment and not seen a doctor about their condition in the last year, even though medical problems are the official reason they don't work. Those who acknowledge they're on disability because they can't find a job say they make little effort to find one, according to a Washington Examiner analysis of federal survey results.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,215
  3. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,654
    without verifying it, it would not surprising

this is an area that needs to be scrutinized more
  4. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +809
    Based on their survey responses, the author has absolutely no way of claiming what is in bold. The survey shows three questions are asked:

1. Sometimes people with disabilities receive medical services to improve their ability to work or help them live independently. Some examples of these services are physical therapy, surgery, and help getting special equipment or devices. Since becoming disabled, have you received any medical services to improve your ability to work or live independently?

2. Sometimes people go to a mental health professional to get therapy or counseling to improve their ability to work or live independently. Since becoming disabled, Have you received mental health therapy or counseling to improve your ability to work or live independently? This could include treatment for alcohol or drug abuse.

3. Since this month last year, Have you received any treatment for a mental or emotional condition at a hospital, clinic, or doctor's office?

The response is yes for 28% to 1, 33% for 2, and 40% for 3. These questions each ask a different question about medical treatment. The combination of the three of them can only state that amongst the people who answered the survey between 40% and 100% of recipients have received treatment. If your hypothesis is what you wrote in bold, therefore, you can't reject the null that more than half have received treatment based on the available evidence.
  5. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,712
    A good friend of mine works in the Cath lab at the local hospital and talks about people coming in and wanting to get "stents" put it so they can go on disability even though they don't need them.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    I had a former business partner who we found out was collecting significant monthly benefits from Provident Unum....while we were paying him a substantial salary and % of annual profits. He was bragging about it to another friend. That explained the lackadaisical attitude, irregular schedule and lack of commitment. The disability removed the incentive to bust his hump. BTW- He was and is a good democrat. Learned my lesson on that one. Do not go into business or play golf with liberal democrats. You will get screwed.
  7. mastoidbone

mastoidbone VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    The OA has made it much easier to self declare that you have pain and disability---and thus massive increases in disability roles.
  8. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,654
    :roll:

i hope you don't base all your decisions like this
  9. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,971
    Gee someone tell my doc that. Because the seizure meds are starting to work (I now have seizures only 3-4 times a month - well above what constitutes "disability") and I don't have to drive to work (not allowed to drive) they're changing their stance and saying I shouldn't apply. Nevermind all the other conditions, nevermind that I can barely function with the seizure meds...nope, says I'm young, have a husband, and that if I can't work so what.

I have bills just like everyone else. I've been paying in since I was 16. I have at least 4 different conditions that individually qualify me for disability. But if my own doc won't go to bat for me, what am I supposed to do?? So I'm screwed, and a lot of others in the system who really DO need it, but those who don't need it get it question free.

:roll: fantastic.
  10. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +839
    The more people on disability the more Democratic voters.
  11. GatrHeel

GatrHeel Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    Got a link for the assertion that the "OA has made it much easier to self declare that you have pain and disability"?
  12. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    I do and most others who have been around the block, do as well. Birds of a feather flock together. Top people/top producers hang out with other top people. Through experience I've learned that liberal democrats are the "something for nothing" crowd. Sorry if I offend you, but that is what I have seen.

I also am very wary of anyone talking to me about their religion and what a good "Christian" they are at the beginning of a business relationship. Call me cynical, but I'm an "experienced" Gator. I go by the old Emerson quote "What one does thunders so loudly, I cannot hear what they say." Walk the walk and show me.
  13. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,155
    I think there's a ton of people on disability who shouldn't be. At least it seems that way.
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,894
    And if there was a good job market, many of them wouldnt be on disability. "Capable of working" is one thing, actually finding work is another.
  15. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,155
    I think it is a bit of a cottage industry. I mentioned this before, but watching a documentary about the White family in West Virginia, apparently they all get on disability in their teens and stay on it the rest of their lives.
  16. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Two questions:

1. Does that mean we should turn the other cheek when people "game" the system because of a bad job market?

2. Job market has been bad for 5 years. Bush's fault? Or could it possibly be due to policies implemented by our current administration? Nahh...Bush's fault.
  17. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,894
    1. Probably. Giving people money that otherwise wouldnt have any certainly isnt bad for the economy in the short term.

2. What policies are those? I think anyone that's proposed a "jobs bill" of some sort can't get it passed, whether its congress, the senate or the President. Seems more like a case of inaction and stasis rather than tangible cause and effect policy choices.
  18. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    So what you are saying is that we should allow people to break the law, commit fraud and rip off insurance companies/shareholders or our SS system because it will give them money? Hmmmm

And a jobs bill would have corrected the problem therefore Pubs should be blamed because they wouldn't pass another stimulus? We spent $5 T on stimulus under Obama and it hasn't worked yet, so we should spend another $250 B?

WGB- you have failed economics. And you have failed logic. But you get an A + in liberal policies. I say we make you the new Treasury Secretary!
  19. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,894
    That's not at all what I was saying, but carry on.
  20. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    It may not be what you were "trying" to say but isn't that the net. If we allow people to file for disability when they are not disabled, doesn't it ultimately have the affect I mentioned?

And if stimulus so far has not produced, why should we continue to stimulate? Don't care who is proposing.