man assaulted in movie theater

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by el_lagarto, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +958
    I read on another forum he was texting his daughter because she liked to get a text from him prior to going to bed.

Could have been to the babysitter for her to read to the daughter.
  2. gatordpm

gatordpm Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    I know many (most?) people that carry concealed state that they would never pull their gun without using it. I however, believe that this may have been a scenario where this action would have solved the problem. If the old man pulled his gun, the guy would probably back up away from him and the situation would have been averted completely.

Of course, I know there will be some who respond but what if the young guy took the gun from him and shot him. You can propose any scenario where anything can happen. I really don't think the guy should have lost his life for throwing popcorn though.
  3. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,585
    Dude is going down (and, yes, victim was a jerk too, but didn't deserve to die). Last I read of it, there is testimony from a witness that his wife (shooter's) said right after, "you shouldn't have shot him." To which the shooter screamed at her to the point she moved a few seats away. All signs point to long time in prison for the shooter.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Everything I'm reading says he was texting a babysitter.
  5. GT Gator

GT Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +385
    I went to see the Lego Movie (very good BTW) with my kids this past weekend. Half way through, a lady right in front of me started texting. I leaned over and asked her to put it away. She did for about 5 minutes and then started again (presumably to check/respond to a response to the text she just sent). I got up and went to management, who followed me back in and tossed the lady (and her kids) out of the theater.

This is the second time this has happened to me.

I can't figures out what goes through someone's mind when they text in the movies, especially considering all the pre-movie requests not to text. Even worse, what the hell are people thinking when they continue to text even after being asked by another person in the theater.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    No doubt texting in the theater is rude and you should definitely complain.

On the other hand, it wouldn't bother me even a little bit if someone did it during previews. I mean the theater lights are 1/4th on at that point.
  7. el_lagarto

el_lagarto Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +628
    so the wife writes the laws ...ok. lol.
    dead guy assaulted old guy says the video. i think floridas self defense laws are gonna carry more weight than the wifes commemnts.

for the revord I THINK OLD GUY IS AN ASS ....A TRIGGER HAPPY EX PI...ER COP likely with mental issues of some sort. that is neither here nor there, neither is the texting, neither is who sat down where and when.

a spat b/w 2 parties turned physical when young guy assaulted old guy.

the fact he used a gun i think has left the libby contigent with wadded panties and clouds their view of the facts.
    if dead guy slapped old guy and old guy punched him back in the throat and killed him would you feel the same way ?
  8. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    From what I've seen, this guy deserves a nice stint at FSP. Allowing him to get away with killing another person because he got hit with some popcorn is a pretty bad precedent to be setting. Heck, if he had just pulled out his gun and gave the guy a chance to back down, I seriously doubt we'd be having this conversation.

Seems though that some folk mistakenly believe the law should protect people who kill over the slightest provocation as if once provoked, people have no responsibility for how they act.
  9. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,585
    Just witness statements I read in a recent story and ones that don't exactly paint a sunny picture for the shooter. There are several witnesses who overheard and saw this, including an off-duty Pasco cop. Interesting that you try to make my post into more than that.
  10. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,585
    The story - and witness accounts (granted, in a news story, not official testimony) are also alluding to the fact that this (popcorn throwing) was not a face-to-face thing like I had originally thought (and believed might be cause for a SD argument). It was, according to those statements, more like a light toss from distance. Big difference if you think about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Exactly
  12. el_lagarto

Ratings Received:
    +628
    good lord fellas, theres a freaking video on 1 st post in this thread, clickon the link and go to the 4 minute 40 second mark. cameras picked up the popcorn toss and the shooting. old guy sitting in his chair. dead guy standing pretty much right over him chucking popcorn in his face with his hands inches away from old guy.
    intimidating posture by dead guy, assault with at least the popcorn, some reports say he threw his cell phone at old guy 1st, but it wasnt picked up by video.

old guy shotem dead right quick for sure. but not before dead guy initiated the violence. old guy can say he was in fear for his life. he has no duty to take a beating from someone who has initiated violence before he defends himself.
  13. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,070
    I see this "hit him with a cell phone" keeps popping up. Yet other than the shooter, what reason is there to believe this? No video of it. His wife said she didn't see that, although the shooter told her later it happened. She told the cops that the shootee hadn't made any threats although he used expletives. The shootee's wife said the shooter confronted shootee multiple times.

IOW, it's quite possible that the shooter provoked and prodded until the shootee had had enough, and confronted back only to get shot. If he was actually sending texts, it seems that you could combine those with security video and get a better idea of whose story is more credible.

Seems like the shooter is getting an awful lot of cred for being old (taking the pro-shooters out of the mix). I wonder what the reaction would be if the roles had been reversed. Would popcorn still be this harbinger of great bodily harm if it was the 71 year-old slapping it onto the 43 year-old?
  14. el_lagarto

Ratings Received:
    +628
    i have no doubt old guy helped escalate the situation. im sure he was pushing every button he knew he could.
    dead guy threw the popcorn from point blank range ..right in the guys face. may as well flicked his nose.

that will get you shot in some places.

the story that precedes the assault and shooting is immaterial. the texting, the bickering...unless threats were verbalized, none of that matters, just like it didnt matter in zimmerman case.
  15. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,482
    I've got my Florida concealed permit, and I tend to take the shooter's side in close call self-defense trials (I believe my posting record here backs that up).

But barring anything bizarre coming out, I think whether the state could have made a first degree premeditated case on this if they wanted to is a closer question than whether or not he's guilty. Based on what's out there now, it certainly appears that the guy deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison.
  16. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,343
    Deadwood and apparently Florida. I'm glad I don't live in either.
  17. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,482
    If you shoot someone for flicking you in the nose (or throwing popcorn in your face from point blank range), be prepared to go to prison. You can't respond with a disproportionate level of force.

Heck I could slap you in the face as hard as I could and, as long as a reasonable person wouldn't have thought that I was about to do something worse that would put your life in jeopardy, you still wouldn't be justified in using deadly force.
  18. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,070
    You don't think it mattered in the Zimmerman trial? They sure did spend a lot of time on it. He wasn't convicted. But that's a long way from saying it didn't matter. Without that part I don't know if there was a trial at all.

I think it would go a long way with a jury. If the story ends up grumpy old man picked a fight and then immediately shot the guy when he accepted, that can't be helpful.

On a side note, that was one calm theater. There are several people there and no chaos. Of course there's a good chance the real gunshot just blended in with the other 10,000 that were inevitably in the previews.
  19. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,070
    BTW, the video does show something that might back up the phone story, although it's not conclusive. I'm betting the defense figures that matters.
  20. el_lagarto

Ratings Received:
    +628
    i totally disagree with your interpretation of the self defense law.
    im under no obligation, once you have initiated violence and are still in striking range, to see if the next blow you deliver incapacitates or kills me.
    particularly if you are younger and stronger, you are the one using a disproportionate level of force.
    i get to shoot you.

the fact that it was popcorn to the face MAY get old guy jail time. much rests on witness testimony as to verbalized threats. id bet old guy made no such threat as he seemed to have had an agenda and purpose.

cop? <>sociopath?

dead guy was just your average hot head idiot not doing much forward thinking in the heat of the moment.