man assaulted in movie theater

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by el_lagarto, Feb 8, 2014.

1. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +156
    This entire thread is based on uncorroborated testimony from the defendant, an armed old guy with very serious anger management issues. Not even his wife corroborated his statements.

Just a reminder, from the original linked article:
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +668
    I just think once you enter "out of control" territory, you put yourself at serious risk of winding up seriously hurt. Or dead. When you start hurling multiple objects at people at close range, the person being assaulted has every reason to believe even greater harm is coming.

I hate the fact bullets were fired….I wish it would have been a taser. But it's easy to offer woulda-coulda-shouldas to someone who was overmatched and being assaulted.

I felt much the same way about the Trayvon Martin incident. A damn shame a gun was fired and a kid died, but there are consequences when you decide violence is the answer.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    Hopefully, when you finally get your chance to shoot someone, posts like these don't come back to haunt you.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. el_lagarto

el_lagarto Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +441
    this entire thread is based on the video linked in the OP that shows dead guy committing an obvious assault and then turning dead by quick draw old guy.
  5. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,872
    I don't know how anyone could disagree with a bit of that.
    The guy in front of you is acting like a jerk, you get up and move. You don't shoot him.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. el_lagarto

Ratings Received:
    +441
    or.......the guy behind you is acting like a jerk, you get up and move. you dont assault him and get your dumbass killed.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,693

If every jerk in the world was a threat to shoot you the best course of action would be to remain at home.
  8. el_lagarto

Ratings Received:
    +441
    the more rude, violent people that stay home or get their dumbass killed, the better in my book.
  9. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,221
    "get their dumbass killed".
    i think it's that attitude that screws the rest of us out of even thinking of going out anymore. who the hell wants to get caught in the crossfire between TWO jerks?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +848

It's interesting your take here......the victim is the rude, violent dumbass that should stay home or be shot dead. Not any consideration regarding the behavior of the shooter.

We have a former police officer carrying a gun into a theatre that bans guns and from the tape, we can clearly see most of the theatre is empty, however, this gun carrying former police officer chooses to sit directly behind a couple where the victim is texting. It looks like his seat choice was by design.......texting pet peeve and itchy trigger finger.
  11. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +926
    I understand much of what CD says, and I have no problem with it. I'll also be sure not to bump into him at the grocery store (but I may not mind bumping my cart into his and pretending like i didn't see him :) ). I'm fine with people having that mentality while at the same time (me) having a preference for not wanting to possess a gun. I understand the risks involved with me not carrying, but I'm more worried about the risks of me having a gun on me.

My problem is that what appears to have happened (very interested in learning more about the events that may shed some light on justification for the shooting) is not something that should be condonable. I don't think a popcorn toss warrants a gun shot response, and I do expect a gun owner to have the sense to be able to make that determination. I've had popcorn thrown at me, and I can't think of any more appropriate response than to laugh at it (come to think of it, I would imagine there are a lot more scenarios where an old guy is throwing popcorn at a younger guy than vice versa). Part of what makes people "a$$holes" isn't merely whether or not one texts or not in a movie theater, but whether or not one misjudges a legitimate threat and kills a little girls daddy who should have been ignored by the shooter.

If the re-telling of events don't change my impression of the events that happened, and if the old guy does get off on this, then I will indeed participate in a press for a change in legislation. Just my opinion.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +926
    By the way, there are too many differences between this scenario and the Zimmerman/Martin shooting to call them similar, in my opinion. Same for the gas station one in Jacksonville. All are very different in my opinion.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  13. JBufgogators

JBufgogators Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +39

or the guy behind says something THE FIRST TIME that your use of phone is a bother you could say sorry then lean over to your feet so no one sees you to finish the text (if its that important) before going back to the movie or previews.
  14. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +848
    If the victim had only known the guy had a gun in his pocket and was prepared to shoot.........
  15. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Aren't assault laws written differently when one person, the person being assaulted, is over the age of 65?
  16. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,305
    I think you are making a valid argument for why knowing that people do indeed carry is a cause for "being civil." No one here has argued that the old guy was just "taking out the trash." The court system is going to determine whether the defendant was justified in his actions or did not use good judgement. But again, the dead guy was a pompous jerk. And if he needed the old man to respond to "what are you going to do about it, shoot me?" to get focused on something that he should have ingrained in his mind - it's not all about me - then it goes towards how we really are not tuned into the things around us.
  17. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +848
    I wouldn't call it "being civil".....more like being intimidated and afraid. Asserting civility by carrying a gun into public places is wrong on many levels and indicates a personality type that expects immediate compliance upon request.

It's disturbing the victim is referred to as a pompous jerk when we have a man who initiated the altercation with a gun. A gun he carried into a theatre that has a no weapon policy. The shooter was engaging in this argument as much as the alleged "pompous jerk".
  18. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +778
    To be fair, both the shooter and shootee were assholes.

When someone else bows up at me and throws popcorn in my face, I don't know what is coming next. Could be fists, a shove, don't really know.

It would have been best if BOTH parties had the attitude of "I am going to move so I don't have to put up with this asshole" and none of this would have happened.

But one thing is puzzling. Who texts a THREE YEAR OLD? THREE YEAR OLDs have cell phones? THREE YEAR OLDs can now READ??
  19. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,305
    I think you missed my take. IF people were enlightened that yes, people do indeed carry concealed weapons, that they would not merely escalate their behavior because they would be "inconvenienced" to get up and go someplace to finish their conversation.

And yes, anyone who is reminded that texting is a rude behavior and could you please cease but decides to confront the requester and throws things at them...is a pompous jerk. I really can't think of a better example of one. To be killed for being one? Well like I said, no one has said that.
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    Wasn't he actually texting the babysitter?