man assaulted in movie theater

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by el_lagarto, Feb 8, 2014.

1. el_lagarto

el_lagarto Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +613
    defends himself.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/...ring-continues-today-in-theater-shooting-case

dead guy made a dumb choice to assault the old guy. old guy was more than ready to shoot him.

look at all those empty seats. and these 2 assclowns ended up 2 feet from each other. whoever sat down last deserved to be shot. not really. but WTF, i dont understand people who sit near me when the room is empty. stay the &(&& away from me please.

stolen from fark b/c im lazy.......

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,689
    oh god here we go. yet another 'acceptable' killing of an unarmed person down there in florida.
    how many unarmed people are going to die before florida RE-addresses it's 'stand your ground' law.

(yeah i know this is not a brand new story, but it's a new posting)
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,438
    I see no valid reason for the shooting and after looking at the video I am even more convinced this old guy had anger issues- but it also convinces me that in this day and time you are much better just walking away rather than letting something escalate and with all the empty seats just move-there are a lot of crazies out there
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. el_lagarto

Ratings Received:
    +613
    i agree..the old guy was more than a bit off his rocker.

dead guy picked the wrong off his rocker guy to assault. theres a lesson in there somewhere.

seeing the video.....theres a great chance the law is on old guys side. ..... dead guy squared up then blatantly assaulted him with, reportedly his thrown phone, and obviously with the popcorn.

may not have deserved death, but the law may allow it.
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,876
    He should have armed himself then...
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,876
    With all these killers going to the movies and ridding them of these a$$clowns... I might be able to go back to the theatre and watch a movie in peace again.
  7. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Well said, bill. There are crazies out there and really people should try to avoid confrontations with strangers as such awful things can result. That said even the most vigilant in avoidance can be caught up in an unanticipated moment, easily finding themselves in such a situation.
  8. AndyGator

AndyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +251
    seeing the video.....theres a great chance the law is on old guys side. ..... dead guy squared up then blatantly assaulted him with, reportedly his thrown phone, and obviously with the popcorn.

Interesting. Everything I have read indicates quite the opposite. That he has a very weak case of self defense. From what I read, no witnesses saw a phone or a fist thrown, only popcorn. That appears to be the shooters claim only. Witnesses also reportedly claim that the shooters wife told her husband "that was no cause to shoot anyone." Clearly she was not in fear for her life. She also reportedly did not see the phone or fist thrown at her husband, at least that is her statement to the police. Also, there was another witness who claims to have had a similar run-in with the shooter at the same theater several weeks before where he glared at her for texting in the theater and at one time followed her out to the bathroom. If true, kind of makes him look like an angry old man looking for confrontation.

Assuming what I read is true, I don't think there will be a hard time showing that the shooter was not justified under SYG. Especially since he went to the car and got his gun, then went right back to the same seat instead of moving. Hardly the action of a person in fear of his life. I think there is a great chance he spends the rest of his life behind bars.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. el_lagarto

Ratings Received:
    +613
    link to the video in the OP.
    getting hit in the face with popcorn is blatant assault. had dead guy not gotten shot he certainly could have been charged with assault based on the video. not sure why it matter when he decided to legally carry his gun.

im not saying old guy was right, hes a &*&^* lunatic. im saying he was justified imsaying dead guy dug his own grave and old guy is gonna get away with it based on the law
  10. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,617
    Disproportionate use of force is the right answer on this crim law multiple choice, IMO. The defense fails because he was not defending himself from force that a reasonable person could fear would result in death or grievous bodily injury.
    • Agree Agree x 6
  11. el_lagarto

Ratings Received:
    +613
    i dont know about that. old guy was sitting down, dead guy standing threw popcorn in his face, then threw the box in his face from right up close. dead guy assumed an imposing posture and committed assault.

i think if you take the emotion out of it, the backstory about the texting, and all the minutiae...

you got a much younger guy squaring up to old dude and getting in his face and assaulting him.

im all for old guy going to jail, hes an idiot. .... but disproportionate use of force? was old guy in fear of great bodily harm at the point dead guy squared up and assaulted him from point blank range.?

very similar to zimmerman IMO. forget zimmerman was an ahole and an idiot. at the end of the day he was assaulted and defended himself,.
  12. AndyGator

Ratings Received:
    +251
    im not saying old guy was right, hes a &*&^* lunatic. im saying he was justified imsaying dead guy dug his own grave and old guy is gonna get away with it based on the law

You are allowed your opinion. But I don't he gets very far with a SYG defense against popcorn. In fact, he did not even get bail for it.
  13. AndyGator

Ratings Received:
    +251
    very similar to zimmerman IMO. forget zimmerman was an ahole and an idiot. at the end of the day he was assaulted and defended himself,.

Not all similar to Zimmerman. There are witnesses for this event. Also, there were no wounds or bruises on the old man, and no object was found that the old man claim was thrown.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  14. surfn1080

surfn1080 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +232
    This old guy has issues for sure. Sad story that should of never came close to this.
  15. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,617
    What grievous bodily harm do think is imminent from popcorn or even a cellphone in the face? In the Zimmerman case, the relevant force he was responding to was the back of his head hitting pavement with more to come -- the kind of thing that can kill you or permanently disable you. You can't answer any and every assault against your person with deadly force, because deadly or not, your right of self defense is limited to reasonable force, and deadly force can only answer deady (or GBI) force.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,343
    Like Lagarto said in the beginning - - - - - - - - - - - why would people sit so close in an empty theatre ?

If the defendant came in last and sat down, bad on him. If the decedent came in last and sat down, slightly better for defendant. Not dispositive, but part of the story.
  17. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +2,343

I agree, but it could be argued that the popcorn / cell phone was a diversion / distraction to hide the punch coming . . . in the mind of the defendant.
  18. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,689
    hoping you're being sarcastic.....
    and quoting 'unforgiven'...
  19. CDG8tor

CDG8tor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +64
    Hopefully not until all the a$$holes are dead.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +2,343

Better get some more ammo, CD. Lots more to go.
    • Funny Funny x 1