Malik Price-Martin ‏commits to USCw

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GATORAZ, Jul 28, 2013.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    You are just factually wrong on this. UF sells 90% of its seat each season. Last season it was 92% of the seats according to UF's composite box score. On the other hand UNC composite box they sould 89% of their seats.

UF is a national sports power. It is of course not to be compared with the lower basketball only programs. In basketball UF's roster, recruiting and results are at least as good as any program in the country.

You fail to understand recruiting if you do not understand that IN ANY SPORT you offer more than you get. You and everyone else miss on more players than you get.
  2. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +739
    This thread is beyond ridiculous. I attended a mid-week SEC game last season with a high profile recruit and it was packed. It was against a mediocre SEC opponent that we blew out by about 30. I have pics that I can post later.

In the locker room after the game, Billy, the recruit, Jeremy Foley and the players were commenting on how great the crowd and environment were.

Almost every school and pro-venue in America is experiencing some attendance issues the past few years. It doesn't prevent us from having a great experience and impressing recruits.

Some of you ought to try attending these games instead of getting on here and wasting bandwidth exaggerating about problems that are marginally problematic, are are experienced by almost every school in America competing for the same recruits, and without mentioning any of the mitigating factors in the recruiting battles.
  3. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +284
    The biggest problem with your weak analysis is that your half-empty statement is bogus. The Gators stated home attendance for last season was 10,677 per game. That might include some season ticket no shows, but it is reasonably accurate. I attended almost all the home games last season and never saw a half-empty arena. Plus, Billy always raves about the atmosphere and the edge that the fans give the Gators. Certainly, the fan support that Kansas and Kentucky get helps their recruiting. However, your phony theory of lack of Gator fan support has little or no impact on Gator recruiting.
  4. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    All I hear are excuses. Pathetic attendance is the only reason we are not a first tier basketball institution. It's amazing that some of you have the nerve to get on here and tell me how full the odome has been in the last couple of years. Haha, it's embarrassing. It's embarrassing on tv, and more embarrassing in person. You guys keep making excuses and we will continue to have pathetic attendance. Again, Billy D is the man, I think he has done more with less than any coach in America. The fans are dropping the ball on this one.
    At any rate, i'm done talking on this thread. From time to time i'll bring this up around here to ruflle some feathers, and maybe one day you guys will see that there is a problem. Until then, carry on with your excuses and keep believing that our attendance numbers are solid.
    We have a rare chance to truly be elite at football and basketball, but we will never be elite at basketball if our attendance numbers do not improve.
  5. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +739
    One more on the ignore list. Not many people on here know more than I do about recruiting and what's going on behind the scenes from the horses' collective mouths. As I said above, JF and Billy are happy with the direction of the attendance numbers the last couple years, especially in SEC portion of the schedule and even mid-week games. GG acknowledges he doesn't attend the games because of financial constraints, and then blasts off on a message board about the problems attendance is causing our national image among recruits. That exemplifies the word troll -
  6. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    You misread my posts Osiris. I attend every football game both home and away and every home basketball game. I said I am not a paying member of this site because of financial constraints, possibly because I attend every game (what a novel idea). I am pretty in tune with everything too. I'm glad you are as well. I was born here, went here, and know pretty much all of the inner workings of the athletic department. I will not start dropping names, as that is childish and personal, but whatever a 'troll' is, and I am sure it's something derogatory, it's not me.
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,983
    At least we talked about Price-Martin on this thread.
  8. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    Best post regarding this debate.

And I still welcome gator gary to bank roll my weeknight trips to Gville for basketball games and I'm there!
  9. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +219
    If you want to talk about Price Martin, then you should started a thread about O'Dome attendance. :grin:
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,983
    Nice. Or anything other than Price-Martin.
  11. BLING

BLING Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +89
    Early in the season it's fair to say we had some half empty arenas (although that shouldn't be too surprising when Florida plays A&M or Stetson on a Wednesday night). I definitely noticed with the Wisconsin game, where you'd expect a possible packed house, was surprisingly sparse in the upper and middle level.

In a few recent years, even with teams that were elite 8 caliber, during SEC games it is fair to say our attendance was "slipping" compared to when the enthusiasm seemed to peak in the early 2000's. However last year, it seems like it really got cranking during SEC play. Last SEC season was probably the best energy in the arena for the past several years. Hopefully that momentum keeps going. I really don't think fan passion was a problem at all last year.

This is not just a "UF problem" though, sports attendance in general has really tanked - especially in the last half-decade. It's very noticeable at many places for basketball, MLB, Nascar, NFL, college sports, etc. I'm not sure there is any sport that's immune from it, some teams/venues maybe sustaining better than others - but even many top programs are seeing this phenomenon.

In either case, this is like the dumbest debate ever because this kid did not go to a team with crazy passionate fan support (Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky). We didn't lose him to a team with blue-blood support. He went to the complete opposite. If we created a scale where the handful of Blue-Bloods are measured at 100% fan support, and Florida is 80% on that scale, USC is probably 25%. The main kid we lost last year (McGary) went to Michigan, Michigan is probably in the 80's on this same scale (similar to UF). So why are we even having this discussion?
  12. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    I agree that the energy was better last year than the last couple years. The last couple years I think of non conf. games like osu (sullinger vs young as freshmen), Arizona, and Wisconsin. None of those games were close to being full, yet they were all big time match ups. Hopefully this year we pack the house a little better for Kansas.
  13. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +511
    No name calling ... Troll is a bad word.
  14. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    This always gets me (the bolded part). That is simply crazy.

Now please tell me what is going on in Florida.
    What is going on in Texas (I lived there also)?
    What is going on in Indiana (I lived there also)?
    What is going on in North Carolina (I lived there also)?
    What is going on in Maryland (I lived there also)?
  15. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    A helluva lot more than Kentucky (I'll grant you Indiana though :grin: ).
  16. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +739
    Florida:
    3 pro football teams
    2 pro basketball teams
    2 pro baseball teams
    2 pro hockey teams

5 of those are in central to north Florida, within a couple hours of Gainesville in each direction. Considering travel and entertainment budgets are limited for most, that certainly constitutes "something to do" for people in that region that competes for the limited disposable income and time available to invest in attending sporting events.

Kentucky:
    Help me out here...
  17. JohnC1908

Ratings Received:
    +786
    I was in Louisville for a month for work in May, and really enjoyed my time there. Saw the Louisville Bat museum, went to a Bats game, and enjoyed 4th St and some other trendy district (name escapes me). I like cities that aren't too big or small, if the weather was a bit warmer I could live there. That said, Lexington is nothing but a bunch of strip malls. And frankly it's ugly as hell. Now I'm sure there are many people who like live living there. But most people who aren't from Lexington aren't going to proactively relocate or vacation there.
  18. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +620
    Everyone I know that lives in Louisville absolutely loves it.

I've been in the Lexington area for a dozen years now and its okay. Its one of those places that there really isn't that much wrong with - but there isn't that much going for it either. Its a major hub for the state when it comes to jobs and colleges/universities. Most people seem to have arrived here for one or both of those reasons. Its NOT like the rural, eastern part of the state - the part that probably comes to mind when most in the U.S. think of Kentucky. Its a very educated city and a surprisingly liberal one also. If you're into the horse stuff I imagine you'd like it more. Once I'm fully licensed at my job I'll be looking for a new place to live. I could do a lot worse than Lexington (especially as a social worker - Detroit for example), but I plan on doing better.
  19. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +284
    10,677/11,548 looks to me to be quite a bit greater than 50%. However, admittedly, I am not up to date on the new math.
  20. JohnC1908

Ratings Received:
    +786
    Understand all of what you said here besides you're surprised it's liberal. REM, it's a college town!