Malik Price-Martin ‏commits to USCw

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GATORAZ, Jul 28, 2013.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +449
    LOL
  2. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +371
    The only thing Billy could do better at a school like UK/Kansas/UNC is to recruit more one and dones than he does now. That leads to the opportunity to have a Kentucky team with Davis et all that wins it all but also a Kentucky team that loses first round NIT. Billy seems to enjoy the opportunity to take a kid who may not have immediate NBA draft ability and turn him into a kid like Chandler Parsons, David Lee, Joahkim Noah,... As long as he continues to enjoy that aspect more than he does catering to the AAU coaches and mysterious worldwide go-betweens he is in the perfect place to continue a Hall of Fame career
  3. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +678

I agree it would mean more one and dones, but keep in mind that he followed his titles with the NIT as well. MAJOR attrition is hard to recover from no matter what strategy is used. He's less likely to experience that kind of turnover though. I also agree he likes what he's doing with guys like Chandler. I wouldn't exactly say that means he goes out of his way to find guys he can develop over multiple years - given how many top guys he targets. I think all coaches recruit the best players they can land that will fit what they're trying to do. If he had a magic recruiting wand that got him anyone he wanted, I think its safe to say that you guys would have had more one and dones than just Beal recently. I DO agree with you he's at the perfect place for him.

Its hard to know definitively how being at a different school would affect his strategy, but my main point was just disputing the statement that he wouldn't have a better winning percentage at another school and possibly be in a better position to win a title more often. CLEARLY he still has good chances at Florida and I'm NOT suggesting he should ever consider leaving or anything.
  4. ncbullgator

ncbullgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +426
    You are a troll. I went to three games last year at UNC and the place was 35% empty (all meaningless games). Ditto for NC State.

Outside of Kentucky (there isn't a damn thing to do except bball), most nonconference games are not well attended, esp. in mid week.

:no:
  5. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    I'm not sure what a troll is, but I'm pretty sure uk, Arizona, and Louisville sell out damn near every game, non conference or not. There is no debating that our attendance is terrible. Instead of going to those unc games, you should figure out a way to buy a plane ticket and go to a gator game or two. If you saw our attendance with your own eyes, I think you'd be a little more understanding of the situation. The odome is a tiny faculty by comparison, holds a tiny little amount, and we come nowhere near filling it. Ask yourself how many people Mckale, Rupp, Dean's dome, and the Yum! center hold. Then go and have a look see at what the odome holds.
  6. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +441
    On the other hand, our facility isn't called the "Yum! Center," a fact which is worth an awful lot to me.
  7. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    GatorGary you ever consider the population of city's like Lexington and Louisville compared to Gainesville, FL? Just sayin..

When our closest large alumni city is one and a half hours away (Jacksonville) it's hard to expect people 1.5 hours or more away, in city's where there are Florida basketball season ticket holders (Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale and Miami) to travel to Gainesville, FL, especially on a weeknight to watch a basketball game. How far are the city's of Lexington and Louisville traveling to see their teams on a weeknight? Please answer..
  8. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Populations:
    Durham 233,252
    Tucson 525,796
    Lexington 301,569
    Louisville 253,128
    Chapel Hill 58,011
    Lawrence 88,727
    Gainesville 268,232

I wish you guys would stop making excuses. Again, I know it's hard to look in the mirror and admit we have a problem. I know we are a football school, but if we could get bball attendance to increase a little more, it would definitely help Donovan sell these kids in recruiting. No kid wants to come play in a half empty arena.
  9. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    Those population numbers are nowhere close to being accurate.
  10. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    So you guys are just going to keep making excuses?^^^^

We have packed the odome before, at least for about 3-5 years. I'd say 2000-2005 were good times. There is precedent. It can be done. We just gotta find some way to do it. If 3 straight elite 8s can't do it, something needs to change in a hurry.
  11. kygator

Ratings Received:
    +243
    I didn't make any excuses. I just correctly pointed out that your population numbers are BS. It is laughable that you actually believe that Gainesville is larger than Louisville. Louisville is the 17th largest city in the country.
  12. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    I don't believe nor disbelieve in those population figures. I just asked google. Whatever population you want to pin on Gainesville, I am very sure that we have enough to fill the 12k seat odome. Very very sure.
  13. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +678
    Yeah, the populations are off. Most places I've seen have Gainesville at around 125k. I live in KY and know Louisville is around 600k.

That being said, I think Gary still has some points. There are differences that go well beyond population limitations IMO. You guys would know better than I would, but I'd have to think the football team could draw decent numbers - even if they played 20 home games a year and half of them were on week nights.

Still though, I haven't lived in Florida (grew up just over the line in Bama), but I get the impression that sports (gator football or basketball) aren't quite as much a part of the culture as they are in some other states. Unlike many, I don't see that as a bad thing necessarily. Many of you say there isn't much to do in Kentucky - and thats true. Its always been true. So generations of fans have grown up with local sports being one of the biggest things going. I wouldn't say this is just a Kentucky thing though. Its really that its more of a not Florida or California thing. I'm sure there are exceptions (the Lakers), but few teams in either state are known for passionate fanbases like you see in other parts of the country. Interestingly, Chicago and NY ARE known for this AND have lots of entertainment options. But the sports teams in those cities seem quite enmeshed with the culture in the area.
  14. kygator

Ratings Received:
    +243
    I'm not arguing that we can't fill up the O'dome. I didn't need to use Google to realize Louisville is much larger than Gainesville. However, I looked it up on Google and found:

Louisville ~605,000
    Lexington ~305,000
    Gainesville ~126,000

Those are US census estimates from 2012.
  15. twodaparty

Ratings Received:
    +374
    Bwahaha I still want to know how this dude thinks that Gainesville, FL is a more populated city than Louisville, KY and has only 30k less people than Lexington, KY. Laughable!
  16. twodaparty

Ratings Received:
    +374
    This seems way more inline with the disparity I was thinking. So Louisville had HALF A MILLION more people within a 15 minute ride of their arena for a weeknight game and this guy is saying that doesn't make a huge difference in attendance? I'm guessing Lexington has way more than 125k population and that you don't have to go more than 1.5 hours away to find even more fans who would be candidates to travel to a game (like Florida has an issue with).

Please give Gville 500,000 more people and I would love to revisit attendance figures. My guess is we would be building a 20,000 seat arena..
  17. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    I'd just like to know why we can't fill up the odome. Try and change the subject if you will. Say what you want about me too, but you guys need to start helping us fill the odome. The first step is admitting we have a problem. I lot of people on here make excuses and blame fans apathy on everything besides getting off their lazy butts and walking or riding to the odome. You can pick up bball tix for $10 to most games. Non conference games.... a lot of times you can get in for a lot less than $10 if you just walk up to the gates. There is a much deeper problem than populations and weeknight games.
  18. twodaparty

Ratings Received:
    +374
    I live and work in Atlanta Georgia now about a 5 to 6 hour drive definitely don't come to any weeknight games. But I make at least 2 to 5 weekend games per season. So I don't know what else you expect unless you are Mr. Money Bags and want to handle my transportation expenses (flight for weeknight games).

Or better yet, employ me in Gainesville,FL like the extra 300-500k residents Lexington and Louisville employ. I will gladly make the move if I made the same salary and then will cheerfully purchase season tickets. Deal?

Thought so :)
  19. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +305
    Can you tell me which site Google listed that had us at such high numbers in G'Ville? I think the 2010 census had us at half of that. Doubt we doubled our size since then. Maybe 125k now?

Also, folks on a Gators hoops board in Aug are probably die-hards. No sense yelling at us to go to games. Most of us have for years and constantly urge others to do so.
  20. kygator

Ratings Received:
    +243
    You bring up some valid points although I disagree with your belief that gator fans would have good attendence numbers for football games if there were 20 of them and half were on weeknights.

I've lived in Gainesville, as a UF student and currently live in Lexington. Here are some of my observations (not based on scientific research).

Culture/sports passion - As you've correctly pointed out, because there isn't a lot going on in Kentucky, people here tend to focus more on the only thing going on - UK and UL sports. Kentucky also has a much higher percentage of the population that is native to the state than Florida does so the passion passes on from generation to generation.

Demographics/population - Lexington has a much higher percentage of UK graduates than Gainesville does with UF graduates. When I was at UF, I never got the feeling that the locals were as passionate about UF as I expected them to be. I know Gary wants to discount population as a reason but it does come into play. UF fans can't simply get off work and go to a UF basketball game as easily as a UK fan can because UF fans tend to live futher away. UF basketball attendance was very good last year for weekend games but terrible for weekday games.

Appeal of the city - I loved living in Gainesville as a UF student and it probably is a nice place to raise a family. However, when I lived in other parts of the state, I never visited Gainesville except for gator games. On the other hand, people from eastern and southern Kentucky come to Lexington all the time because it is "the big city" for them. When they come for a basketball game, they are also coming for the dining, bars and shopping.