Malik Price-Martin ‏commits to USCw

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GATORAZ, Jul 28, 2013.

1. flwgator2

flwgator2 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    Well said. I think the new renovations will help on the attendance.
  2. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Does anyone know how long Billy has been on Justice Winslow? I'm looking for a number of years.
  3. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +647
    We are certainly on equal footing with tOSU, Michigan, Texas, etc..

WE WILL NEVER BE A BASKETBALL SCHOOL!!! GET OVER IT!
  4. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +647
    You bitch about lack of info but won't pony up to get it.
  5. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    I never said we will be a BBQ school. I just said we will not be .. What a weird response from you. Read duche
  6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +380
    Ohio State or Louisville instead of Texas is better. 'Cuse and MSU (north) are fine.

Texas is like Illinois: Varies between very good to middling, but no NCs to show for it.
  7. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,193
    Watch the insults folks.
  8. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,193
    By the way for those who are not paying members Franz has returned and is providing a lot of good info on the inside basketball board.

Along with posters like Bullis33 and others it is worth thinking about joining.
  9. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    I'm glad you guys are getting a little uptight. Hopefully you will all turn that anger into something productive by going to games. I don't have money to pay for an Internet site because I go to every game. I do the best I can by trying to contribute on the free site. I look up recruiting info and try to keep you guys in the know. I know it's hard for some to look in the mirror and admit we have a problem.

And in case you all are wondering why I can't pay for the site and go to games, well thats because I am relatively poor at this early stage in my life. I am working to one day become a pay member, while giving you guys free updates as I can. You guys decrease my work productivity, but you also keep me in tune with the program during the offseason.
  10. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    I completely agree with the notion that our fans do not support our basketball team as much as they should. Unfortunately, I think the back to back NIT undid some of the excitement with our fair weather fans.

We have a legit chance to win the NC next year, and Billy is recruiting a great class in 2014, so I can see fan support and momentum increasing in the coming years.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,817
    I guess I don't see how we have missed anymore in recent years than we did, for instance, before the national titles. We missed on plenty of kids we had targeted: Hansborough, Farmer, Crittenton, Devendorf, Bosh, I am sure there are others who slipped my mind because it wasn't covered as well then as it is now. We essentially had four dynamite classes (98, 99, 01, 02) surrounded by mostly regional recruiting or player development guys, including the 2004 class. And those early classes came under a very young group of high energy coaches in Donovan, Pelphrey, Grant, and Jones who arrived at Florida together and built the program together. We had great continuity, which helps a ton, especially when you are recruiting the big fish over the course of three summers.
  12. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    I don't know man I've had some pretty good BBQ in Hogtown! May wanna reconsider your stance on that ;)
  13. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    LOL, I was wondering when somebody was going to grill me with that one.... And yes BBQ aint too bad in Hogtown:grin::grin:
  14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +550
    As an Arizona fan, reading this thread makes me laugh. We are a basketball school that constantly sells out McKale Center. But struggle with selling out the football stadium, even with an occasional decent year. Florida basketball is light years ahead of Arizona football, but even if Arizona had back-to-back 10 win football seasons, Arizona would still be a basketball school. In fact, our best football recruiting weekends have traditionally been when we can take the kids to a big, non-conference basketball game in November.

When it comes down to it, regardless of what type of school you are, college sports is a coach's league. There are few, if none better than Billy Donovan. What he has been able to accomplish, regardless of where he is coaching, is right up there with the best. One can argue that maybe, had Donovan been at a basketball school like Kentucky, UNC, or UCLA, his record would be even better. But I don't buy it. Who, besides Coach K., has had a better coaching record the past decade?

Great coaches can win anywhere in college. What usually happens when one of the better coaches ends up at a school that doesn't traditionally support the sport they coach is the coach moves to greener pastures. But Donovan decided to stay in Gainesville, and the rest is history.

In the end, the big question will be can Florida sustain any basketball success post-Donovan? Basketball schools like Arizona can survive a coaching change and succeed again quickly, once the right coach is found. Just like Florida football rebounding quickly post Zook. But can a school really sustain success through coaches in more than one major sport? We'll eventually find out, but as far as problems go, it's a great one to have. Because while Donovan remains a Gator, Florida basketball will take a back-seat to nobody.
  15. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    I agree with all of this. Okay, I do disagree that Donovan wouldn't have a better record at a small group of other schools. He would. Now, he doesn't need to be somewhere else to have a top team or win more national titles. He can do that now. His recruiting would improve at a few other places though - allowing him to be even more selective when it comes to building the kind of team he wants.

Other than that though, you're dead on about the greener pastures. Speaks volumes about Donovan IMO. Its part of what makes his stay at Florida even more interesting. In a way, he's really got a great gig in that he's got major money without the major microscope and media/fan demands.
  16. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +915
    Excellent post...

Wish we would have extended our home and home against you in bball...the games the last 2 years were great, hard fought, awesome games to watch

17. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +380
    You've been to my house (I live in Gainesville) when I am smoking pork shoulder? It takes all day, but it is so good. I make it Lexington style (Lexington, NC, not KY). And then make some Lexington style coleslaw to put on the pulled pork sandwiches.
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,817
    That's what she said...
  19. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Can anyone shed some light on Leron Black and Religion? This article was from July 10, but I am confused about the whole religion thing.

Article:

Earlier this week we wrote that one of the top forwards of the 2014 class in Leron Black was drawing interest from schools like Louisville and Indiana. But reports from The Cardinal’s Break, a Louisville blog, say that Baylor isn’t out of the picture just yet.

Below is a tweet from the blog about who Black listed in his top schools.

The Cardinal's Beak @RU4UofL

2014 F Leron Black today listed Illinois, Indy, Baylor, UF, UConn, Tennessee, Memphis, Arizona, #Louisville, OhioSt. http://moby.to/temt63

6:11 PM - 9 Jul 2013

2 Retweets 2 favorites Reply
    Retweet

Black had initially committed to the Bears at the end of 2012, but then decommitted after rushing to a decision. The following quote is from Black to ESPN’s Dave Telep on why he initially committed to Baylor.

‘At first it was the religion,’ Black told Telep. ‘Then, second of all it was the basketball. They’ve been to the Elite Eight the past two years and this year they sent three players to the NBA. When I was on campus the academics were real good.’

Baylor’s 2014 class currently has no members.
  20. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +216
    Black is a devout Christian and Baylor is a Baptist school.