Malik Price-Martin ‏commits to USCw

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GATORAZ, Jul 28, 2013.

1. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    BLING, I am not making a point over Price Martin. I am just talking about recruiting in general. Some things that are weighing on my mind. I enjoy Florida basketball, and I understand you can't build Rome in a day, I'd just like to see some positive signs that our fans and support for the program are on the incline. The Odome renovation is positive. The lack of fan support and extreme lack of recruiting coverage is still very disturbing to me. The bluebloods don't play when it comes to recruiting coverage. They'll sneak out of a hole and hit you with a camera and get an interview. Florida fans often times don't know who a basketball recruit is until they commit. We are the polar opposite in football. We are just like the blue blood basketball schools in F-ball.
  2. BLING

BLING Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +89
    Transfers are not a "plan C" options when you land the quality of transfers UF's been getting. There aren't many schools that would trade their roster for Florida's right now.

That being said, you can't rely on transfers always being there in the future if you don't land the high school recruits. Donovan basically got lucky this time in the timing and availability of two quality bigs, however if we whiff in the 2014 class then it would already be too late to add any transfers to the mix (to play immediately).

It's not totally apparant that Martin was a "plan A" guy, however if we miss our plan A guys and the plan B guys are already gone elsewhere, then UF will again be looking to fill holes. I would say at least this time they were able to "fill holes" with plan A quality players, however I hope they don't have to roll the dice again.
  3. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    Plan C options when you miss on other players only in terms of timing. I agree that the quality of transfer we have brought in has been very good. Fortunate to have had those guys come available when they did.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,983
  5. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    One of those three is not like the others.
  6. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,995
    Don't mess with Texas.
  7. ih8danoles

ih8danoles Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    Anyone that thinks UF will EVER, in 100 years have the same support for hoops as places like UNC, Duke, KU, UCLA, etc needs to have their heads examined. The south in general is a football first region. People up North care a lot more about hoops, especially at the college level.

If we never win another title in my life but continue to reach elite 8's that is well beyond what anyone thinking rationally should ever expect.
  8. BLING

BLING Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +89
    Just saw on another Gator site that Black is scheduled to be coming for a official visit next week. :grin:

So it seems writing us off because one random article didn't happen to mention UF was a bit premature. Seems like there's alot of good vibes between him and Florida and Donovan.
  9. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    That is excellent news! ^^^ Keep the updates coming BLING. Now that I've waken you guys up, we can talk some Bball around here.
  10. jmoliver

jmoliver Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +100
    I'll take a consistent top 10 basketball program at UF. Billy is finally starting to get credit with the national writers for his accomplishments at UF.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,983
    Fine. Put whomever else you want into the equation provided that they are also not considered among the traditional elite programs, but have recruited at a comparably high level despite significant ebbs in talent at times.
  12. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +956
    If by "out of the picture" on Black you mean he is taking an UOV visit here this week with most of his family, we are the clear leader for him, and many think he will commit to UF after his UOV, then I agree with you...

as for the rest of your diatribes on here, not sure what to say.....

We have recruited and peformed the best of any non blue blood bball program since about 1998, that is 15 years....not sure what else you would expect from a FB first school....

No matter what, weill never be UK, UNC, UL, KU, etc in terms of bball fan support and enthusiasm, but we are damn close or better in on the court performance, and none of those schools will ever touch UF in football as a program....we have the best of both worlds thanks to BD

13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,983
    I agree completely here. Deep runs in the tournament are really a bonus for me provided we stay competitive each year, are among the top handful of teams in our league, and make the tourney. When we have a loaded team like next season, you hope to be a threat in March, but not annually.
  14. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    Billy is a legend already and a tireless worker. Without him, you'd have to wonder where we'd be at this fball school. Credit to Foley for convincing him to stay, and all the credit in the world to BD. I dread what will probably happen when he leaves.
  15. srotag

srotag New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    While in NO WAY do I want consider a UF without BD, I bet JF would make a "smart" decision. :D
    I find it interesting that there is a ways of improving attendance article for football on today's Gatorsports. Good or bad the main key to packing the Odome is to tap into the football fan base and if they are not packing the Swamp it tends to bleed over to hoops. The renovation to the Odome will be amazing, never before have "bricks" ever been such a necessity in our hoops facility. Though not perfect, being the Nation's #1 basketball and football school never gets old.
  16. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +305
    Actually, most of the unofficial visits occur during the weekend SEC games, when the O Dome is sold out. You can bet there will be some kids at the Kansas and FSU non-conf games, both of which will sellout and have a great atmosphere. Billy is no dummy- whenever possible, he will bring kids in during the bigger games and not the weaker OOC games in Nov and Dec.

And, Gator Gary, you have no clue, nor do I, of who Billy is going to sign to fill out this class. You can surf the web all you want and make predictions but there are some on this board, like Bullis and others, who have solid info. I do appreciate your passion and welcome the conversation but be careful about what you read on the Internet when it comes to recruiting.
  17. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,231
    well said
  18. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    We on the free board appreciate your for pay updates. I have heard Leron Black is big into finding a Christian coach. That may steer him clear of the basketball factories. Before I signed up for this board I always read coach Sayres updates (is that how it's spelled) and I have always appreciated the info from Bullis. What I said about our basketball attendance I stand by. It's pathetic, and our fans are apathetic. Most of them don't care about Bball. And I agree, billy is no dummy(obviously), but we have missed a ton over the last few years. If we want to take the next step into the elite, the fan support has to be better. We bring kids in for football games bc our non conference attendance blows. By the time the sec conf rolls around, most of the big boys have made up their minds.
  19. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +43
    Really Billy should be given tribute for all the ingenious ideas he has come up with to recruit while circumventing our shitty fans.
  20. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +621
    I agree with the notion that Florida is primarily a football school and that basketball enthusiasm is unlikely to ever be comparable. However, I'm surprised basketball doesn't have more support than it does.

This is 2012's (fwiw) attendance figures ranked by average per game. It has Florida at 37th in the nation. No one would suggest attendance should be similar to the top "basketball" schools, but I was surprised at how many football schools were higher on the list.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2012.pdf

Based on the team's performance, I don't see why schools like Michigan ST, Wisconsin, Tenn, Ohio St, Purdue, Arkansas, Bama, Texas and Michigan should be ahead of UF. Those were just the more traditionally football oriented schools. Vandy is up there too and I'm not sure they've won a game in the NCAA tournament before. I realize that many team's average was more than the ODome's capacity, but UF's average was more than 1k less than cap. I'm not trying to pile on here and there may be other factors. I actually pulled the attendance numbers to try and combat what gator gary was saying. Fans need to pick it up. Seems like they're making a big effort this year to fill the Swamp. Lets see the same for basketball.