Malik Price-Martin ‏commits to USCw

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GATORAZ, Jul 28, 2013.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    Malik Price-Martin ‏@PTP_Leak 27m
    I have officially committed to the University Of Southern California! #trojannation #blessed #fighton

Might me a shock to some who thought he was staying in state. But ever since his visit to USC there has been buzz that he was going to USC.
  2. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Yeah that isn't good. I gotta believe Billy can get 1 or 2 of Abu, Looney, Lyles, Okonoboh. Black seems pretty much out of the picture too.
  3. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Winslow and Johnson are pipe dreams.

Most of this stems from general apathy towards basketball. We are a football school and Donovan does the best he can, but it's just hard. We bring Bball recruits in to watch football because it's hard to bring them into our half empty gym and expect them to take us seriously. Oh well, it's impossible to be great in both sports. Billy will go down as a legend for what he has done at our beloved football school.
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    Our basketball recruits go to our basketball games, and the arena is not half empty. We are great in basketball right now and are hoping to get back there in football.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    The writing was on the wall with this one the last month or so. We were on him early and he had an offer, but both sides seem to have cooled. He should fit nicely with their new scheme. Very skilled, smooth, athletic guy.
  6. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    What?
    Billy has been killing it, can't land em all
  7. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Big time Bball schools are not wasting one of their 5 precious officials on a football game. They are bringing kids in to their version of midnight madness. See night at the phog, or big blue madness, or Arizona's red blue scrimmage. Big time recruits get excited about a massive basketball following and everything basketball. At the end of the day, wasting an official on a football game is just that, a waste. We can't bring kids to 90% of our games because of our apathetic basketball following. We could only hope to bring everyone in for the uk game. Blue bloods sell out every game. I am not bashing our basketball program. This is a call to our fans to be more active and show. We've always been a football school. Right now we are a school that has a great Bball coach, that does the best he can, but apathetic followers. It would be nice to be the first football school that is a Bball school as well. Billy brings us into that upper second tier, but as a school we have a long long way to go to get close to sniffing that 1st tier
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Last year I was at a Bball game, and I believe Joel Berry was there and I think Adonis Henriquez. You know what happened? The lights went out on our half empty arena (the lights don't even matter, the arena being empty is embarrassing). That doesn't sit well with big time recruits. Berry came to multiple games last year, and multiple times he saw a relatively empty arena. Our basketball recruiting coverage is absolute and total garbage, which again shows general apathy towards basketball. Over the years in football we've had guys like Hollywood Bob and zack alberverdi. We've never had anything like that in basketball. I'm talking someone that people pay to get their info from. Blue blood pay sites know their recruits every move and have reporters there following. We got nuthin, and our fans could care less. We are a football school, it's just the way it is. Thank god the odome is getting renovated, I have numerous blue blood friends that call it the odump. Looks like its from the 70s
  9. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    why do you say Black is out of the picture?
  10. canadagator2

canadagator2 Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    Gary, I don't think you know what you are talking about. I've been going to the bb games for 20yrs and I've seen the Odome packed to the gills. Have you looked at the roster. Other than UK, they have the most talent in the league. They will be one of the top 5 teams in the country. To say billy can't bring in talent is crazy and spoken by someone who doesn't know sh... about BB. To also say Florida is just a football school is also spoken without knowledge. During our run in the Horford, Noah days it was very difficult to get a ticket to a game. It can be done and winning cures everything. Oh, by the way, did football fill the stadium for its games last year?
  11. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +379
    Gary is correct here. I go in there and I wouldnt say half empty but it is not on par with the coach and players. Gator Basketball is not oneaqual footing with UK , KU , NC , Duke ,Cuse , Louisville. Don't even think about comparing. I don't think you got the gist of his post. Things are different with the fanbase for some reason. They also haul ass out of there at the 4 minute left mark for some reason.The blue hairs control the best tickets and they are not able to do much but nap while they are there. Why do they leave early? What do they have to do? Go home and sleep ??? Billy deserves better.
  12. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Get angry Canada. That goes for all of you. Get angry and lets fix our bball apathy. In response to you Canada, I've been going to Bball games for 25 years, well 25 years that I can remember anyhow. The 5 before that I woulda have been under 6, and while I was there, I don't remember them. I have also been to damn near every football game in that time, (home and away). So I think I've seen enough to know what I am talking about. I do not question that Billy has brought in talent over the years. Big namers such as Kwame Brown, D. Lee, Beal, B. Nelson, M. Miller, Ryan Appelby, Thunder Dan, and Donnell Harvey. And sure I also enjoyed the Kruger era, Dan Cross, Craig Brown, Greg Stolt, Da Meat Hook, Declerq. As a kid I had bball posters everywhere. I went to school for a while with Kevin Kruger, Lon's son here in G-ville. As some of you may know, he turned into a pretty good b-ball player.
    I know a lot about what goes on, and I know a lot about which school offers every player, and which offers are serious (like we are going to spend some money and bring you to campus serious) and not serious.
    Canada, you are right, during our run in with the 04s we had quite the following. 3-4 years before that the attendance was pretty good. During that time we had never won a national championship and we were trying to reach the top of the mountain. BBall spirit was at an all time high. A year or two after the second national championship it all went back to shit. Not because we are spoiled, it was just, that run in 04 and 06 was somewhat of an aberration (a never having done that run). Now we are back to our typical football ways. And you can't tell me winning will cure it, it is here to stay. We've been to 3 straight elite 8s, and had a really really good team last year, but it's the same old story. Big programs take transfers when something goes drastically wrong in the program, i.e. 1. someone leaves early unexpectedly, or 2. you strike out on the recruiting trail. Arizona took Mark Lyons and TJ Mconnell because they had an unforeseen occurrence with their should have been star Josiah Turner. UK took Vargas and Hood because they needed to plug holes. Transfers are because you miss. I'm sure a lot of you feel differently and I'll take some heat for that, but that is the bottom line. Also, we are not a true national brand. Donovan does a great job getting who he can get, and we have had some great national recruits such as Beal, Miller, Harvey, Lee, White, Appelby, Nelson, but more times than not when we go against the big boys we lose. The only reason we are losing, in my opinion, is because our horrific fan support. UCLA has been in and out of the dumps because of their fan support. UK, UNC, Duke, Arizona, Louisville, they don't have a problem with it. It's just hard to compete with basketball schools, when your fans don't really care. And bringing kids in for football games is a joke. It's a free trip for a kid, and who wouldn't want to go to a gator football game? But at the end of the day, kids want to see what a basketball school is all about, not a football game.
  13. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    In response to your question GatorAZ, the last article I saw with on Black was from Zagsblog about 2 weeks ago. I posted it in the 2014 recruiting thread on this site. There is no mention of Florida and he lists about 2-3 other schools that he says are recruiting him the hardest. Chiozza was recently asked who he thought Florida might land, and he said hopefully Abu and Okonoboh. There was no mention of Black, and for someone who plays on his same team, there probably should have been.
  14. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Here was the article GatorAZ. Doesn't look promising:

Memphis forward Leron Black feeling a sweet spot for Indiana, Lousiville

LAS VEGAS — Five-star Memphis forward Leron Black said Saturday night at the LeBron James Skills Academy that Indiana University and the University of Louisville are two of the schools recruiting him the hardest.

Black, who at 6 feet 7, 217 pounds can play either forward position, said he spoke with U of L coach Rick Pitino on Thursday for the first time and has been exchanging text messages regularly with IU coach Tom Crean since arriving in Las Vegas.

Black said he is getting the most contact from Illinois, Indiana, Louisville, Connecticut, Tennessee and Memphis. He is unsure which official visits he’ll make, but plans to commit in the fall.

Ranked No. 22 in the nation for 2014 by Rivals.com, he has been a target for Crean since he withdrew a commitment to Baylor.

“I like them a lot, and I like the way they play,” Black said of the Hoosiers. “I watched them a lot this year. I loved watching them play this year. I had them winning it all, but you know how that goes. I like the coaching staff over there. ... It ain’t too far (from home) either.”

Black said he feels IU has made him a priority.

“I’ve already talked to the strength coach. I’ve talked to the academic counselor about my grades,” he said. “I talk to them a lot. I feel like I’d be a big part of the team if I was to go there.”

As for the Cardinals, Black said they’ve ramped up their contact in the past few weeks.

He spoke with U of L assistant coach Wyking Jones on the phone last month, and he regularly exchanges text messages with Chris Jones, a junior college transfer with the Cardinals who is also from Memphis.

He got a call from Pitino on Thursday.

“I didn’t know who it was when I looked at my phone, and (caller ID) said Kentucky,” he said. “So I said, ‘I guess I’m going to answer it.’ He said, ‘Hello, this is Rick Pitino.’ I said, ‘Woo.’ It kind of shocked me. I was excited about it, and I thank God for giving me the opportunity.”

Black said he’ll probably visit Louisville at some point.
    (Page 2 of 2)

U of L invited him to watch a practice one day last week, but he was unable to make it because his father had to work that day. He ended up speaking with Pitino the day before he left for Las Vegas.

“He was real cool,” Black said. “He was telling me how they’re losing spots and how I could come in and play a lot.”

Black said at last month’s NBPA Top 100 camp in Charlottesville, Va., that his versatility makes him an effective player.

“I’m a good slasher,” he said at the Top 100 camp. “I can rebound. ... I can post up, and can come out and grab (the ball) off the wing and knock down shots.”

He said Saturday night that Louisville is recruiting him to play power forward.

“They’re losing their four man, so they’re saying I could come in and play at the four because that’s what they’re recruiting right now,” Black said.

The Cardinals’ Chane Behanan will be a junior in the fall and could be a candidate for the NBA draft. The same goes for Montrezl Harrell, who will be a sophomore.

Black said he could envision a role similar to Behanan’s.

“That’s what I was thinking about because I love the way they run,” Black said. “I defend a lot, so I love defense. I think I’d fit in well.”
  15. luciaboy

luciaboy Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +187
    we are never going to be kentucky, duke, kansas or unc. big deal. football will always be king at uf. we are top 5 as a football/ basketball school. some kids like that.
  16. gatordd

gatordd Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    not a big loss
  17. BLING

BLING Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +89
    Not only that, but the player in question went to USC. The whole premise of his argument is ridiculous. We obviously didn't lose this battle over "fan support" or lack thereof. Obviously he has other things on his mind.

I have to admit I've noticed decline in attendance at Florida over the course of many years (dating back even before the championships, at least comparing those years to the very early 2000's), Even early in last season there were games you'd wonder why people weren't showing up (Wisconsin), but during the SEC season it looked to me like the fan support was the best it's been in years. Not sure how many sellouts they had, but at least capacity was looking more like 90% than the 60% it had been getting even during SEC games. So definitely I think our atmosphere is a POSITIVE in recruiting, at least during conference games.
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    I don't have much of a problem with your other arguments, which are at least somewhat true, but can't agree here. The game is changing. There are increasing transfer numbers every year. We missed plenty of times Donovan's first decade, but the only transfer he ever accepted was a kid who played for him at Marshall. Since then, we have taken four (Macklin, Rosario, Carter, Harris). Sure, you take them when you have a hole on your roster, but Duke, Kansas, Zona, Kentucky, Cuse are all taking them. Everybody misses in recruiting to some degree. Rosters are at an unprecedented instability right now between early departures and transfers.
  19. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    gatordd: Winslow and Johnson are not coming here (even though they list us). So for a SF 3/4 type top 100 player, we are in the running for Abu, Norris, and Delgado. Norris seems like the safest bet, but the longer that goes on, the dicier it gets. Abu is a tough read. He and Terrell have been rumored to go to the same school. Terrell is a sg, a position at which we really can't take anymore of right now. Providence and st. johns are coming on hard for the both of them. Terrell lists us, but I don't see how we could take him at this juncture. I posted each of their top 10s in the 2014 recruiting thread. I hope we make a hard push for Abu, I like his game.
  20. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Reserina, I agree with you to some extent. I joke with my friends and tell them that Donovan is revolutionizing the 'transfer game.' The bluebloods tend to miss less. Transfer rules are probably going to become more restrictive soon, but that is neither here nor there. Macklin, Rosario, Carter, Harris, DFS are all fine players and I'm happy to have them, but they are here because of misses. The UK's, UNC's, Dukes, Arizona's (save the few years of discombobulation with Lute leaving) tend to reload every year and miss much less. Donovan does the best with what he has, and has very much revolutionized this transfer practice in order too keep us competitive. I agree that the bball world is in a crazy flux with the nba and the transfers, but I still think that taking transfers is a plan C option.