Malaysia Flight 370

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by exiledgator, Mar 10, 2014.

1. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Why would this be about us, though?
  2. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +1,073
    It sure does. That would be good news....the passengers may be alive.
  3. DaveFla

DaveFla VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    Not necessarily. If the airplane was "stolen" and earmarked for some future event, then the passengers would be expendable, and likely dead anyway.
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,142
    If its aliens, they are probably alive. At least until they have learned all that probing has to teach.
    • Funny Funny x 3
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,169
    My best guess is this:
    Some sort of major issue, pilot turns back, major issue turns catostrophic(maybe a massive depressurization that also knocks out systems), plane flies for several hours west before crashing in a remote part of the ocean. It's the only thing that makes sense. No landing strip is going to hide a 777, and those islands only have 4, all controlled by the government. A hijacker isn't going to care who knows he is hijacking a plane and even if he did probably wouldn't know what to tell the pilots as far as disabling the comms and tracking. A pilot wanting to go 9/11 and is overtaken by others is possible, but why would it take 4 hours and where would he have been going? The first explanation is the most logical.
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,142
    Yeah, I dont see how you land a plane (not to mention passengers) and hide it somewhere so secretly, not to mention from radar and other means of detection.
  7. DaveFla

DaveFla VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    Very little radar coverage out where they were flying. If they avoided India's radar coverage area (about 300 miles from shore), they could have flown for hours without painting a target on any civilian radar. Military ships, however, operating in that area would most certainly have painted such a large target.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    A similar Incident struck closer to home (Jacksonville Fl) back in 1982. I am referring to deaths of Raymond Mason and his fellow Charter Company VP's in a copter crash in Ireland. The company never recovered from the lost of those individuals.
  9. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    A similar Incident struck closer to home (Jacksonville Fl) back in 1982. I am referring to deaths of Raymond Mason and his fellow Charter Company VP's in a copter crash in Ireland. The company never recovered from the lost of those individuals.
  10. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +1,073
    Yeah, I did think of that, Dave......that's why I said "may be alive". If this is a hijacking incident, some passengers may survive the ordeal.
  11. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +721
    Thanks
  12. brainstorm

brainstorm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,217
    I think "piracy" makes a lot of sense given the facts. If so, where did they land (and how did they evade radar)? And why?
  13. harwil

harwil Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    Mason wasn't in the copter.He's alive and well. I saw him last month
  14. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,101
    What the heck is this, the sequel to "Lost"?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +861
    For those that rule out terrorism....you are thinking rationally. Terrorists do not.

One Muslim who fervently believes his path to allah is to kill non-Muslims will take that plane down. That belief system is not rational, thus ruling it out as a possibility is flawed. But I have no info to support it being a terrorist act, only the possibility.

Take the 1999 Air Egypt flight from NY. It crashed. The Egyptians could not do a proper investigation, so they called in NSTA who in turn brought in FBI. FBI concluded it was Muslim pilot who took it down to "go to allah". Egypt protested and took over the investigation themselves and ruled it a mechanical failure. The former pres of Int'l Pilots Assn told me the recorder on that flight had the scream by pilot (may have been co-pilot) of "Allah Akbar"

In addition, other countries allow, yes allow, people to visit the pilot. Not like USA. So the flight could have been hijacked.

Lastly, quite often they put it on auto pilot and the plane can have a problem, go off course, etc and the pilot, nav, etc dont know.
  16. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,169
    Speaking for myself, when I said catastrophic event, that could have been a terrorist bomb, but it would have to be lone wolf because no one has claimed credit. And usually lone wolves are hijackers not bombers so the plane would have turned up somewhere, but it's certainly not impossible.
    If I wanted to come up with a plausible scenario for a hijacker though it's difficult. Did the hijacker know enough to get the transponder turned off? If he hijacked the plane, wouldn't he have taken it somewhere? If the crew fought him off, what kind of fight would render the entire crew unable to rectify the situation? Even if he shot the cockpit crew in the struggle, someone on that plane almost certainly had enough knowledge to at least get a voice transmission off. He could have killed the flight crew and run the plane into the ocean, but why wait 4 hours?
    Mechanical (still where I would lean), or as you eluded to, pilot sabotage make the most sense. Though again for the pilot, 4 hours don't add up. If he wanted to die then just do it, if he wanted to take the plane somewhere then say so. Claim you have a bomb on board or some other threat and folks will leave you alone to do what you want.
    The only (semi) plausible hijacker/pilot scenario is them taking over the plane with some sort of explosive device, turning the plane west, after 4 hours someone tries to subdue the hijacker/ bad pilot and they blow the plane up. But that still seems a stretch for the reasons I gave above.
    It will eventually be solved though, interesting mystery in the meantime.
  17. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +721
    Definitely more relaxed. Though I would assume it is more strict in Russia now. Though I am not sure I would want to fly in Russia regardless...

18. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,117
    There is no logical scenario at this moment. There are two possible scenarios. First is the inside job. This would explain someone having the understanding of systems to turn off the transponder AND the AGC system which transmits engine data to maintenance control. Second would be decompression which kills everyone and the plane flys on its own ( which frankly it does anyway) until it runs out of gas. I am 110% sure Boeing is running thousands of models trying to reconstruct if this is even possible. It would make sense but how did the transponder and AGC shut themselves off? If it was a catastrophic electrical failure never before experienced in aviation, the plane should have crashed pretty much right where it happened. Like I said thousands of models being run.

Occam's razor - it was an inside job. We just don't know why.
  19. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Satellite data released this morning shows the plane deliberately flying for a while. They say it was taken over, but don't know where it ultimately went. It's possible by the flight path that it reached all the way to Kazakhstan.
  20. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Has anyone seen John Travolta since his weird appearance at the Oscars?:D
    • Funny Funny x 2