Make the Call: Most Controversial Gator Football Loss you ever saw

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by makethecallsports, Apr 28, 2014.

1. makethecallsports

makethecallsports New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    ...either in person or on TV...the game you watched where the loss was absolutely tied to a controversy. Care to share which game and your reasons why?

-Art
    @Makethecalksprts on Twitter
  2. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +218
    Swindle in the Swamp, no explanation required.
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,060
    Swindle. I fully expected the stands to empty on the field at any moment.
  4. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,628
    no other was even a close 2nd
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,857
    Kind of a silly question. Nothing is close.
  6. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,326
    The Swindle, I was there.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. G8RKyle

G8RKyle Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    Ditto.
  8. GatorPrincess8

Ratings Received:
    +2,326
    I almost got maced in the stands from the fights.
  9. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    Swindle without a doubt was one of the biggest if not the biggest travesty in College Football
  10. mh2os

mh2os VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,879
    The Robbery at Rocky Top ranks right up there. No where near the number of bad calls, but the refs made THE one that counted right at the end & changed the game to the Vols.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,060
    Was at that one too, although from the upper reaches of the atmosphere, I could hardly see anything going on at field level.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +414
    During the Swindle I honestly thought the fans were going to riot and that the refs were in real danger. This was before we re-took the lead, and it helped that FSU beat us on a non-controversial call.

I obviously exaggerated the danger to the refs, but in the moment I honestly thought they would be maimed. It was like a South American soccer game.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. pcolagator

pcolagator VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +290
    was there in person...Swindle in the Swamp. no ands ifs or buts, hands down...
    • Like Like x 1
  14. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,628
    I too was in the Swamp that muggy November night-saw bottles thrown at the refs as they left the field-saw a work boot get thrown on the field-it was the only time I remember feeling an actual swell of anger in the crowd in the swamp-most semi's actually left in silence
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. GatorPrincess8

Ratings Received:
    +2,326
    most noles I know were ashamed.
  16. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +785
    Found this link...synopsis of the Gator's 30 worst losses. Not by total points, but worst losses because of the importance of the game or the way the loss happened:

Here's a sample:

10/2/1999 ''Darrell Jackson'' Alabama 40 @ Florida 39

This is one of the games on the list that didn’t cost Florida a shot at a national or the SEC titles. This game makes the list due to ending Florida’s 31-game home winning streak. Florida clung to a 33-26 point lead but had forced a punt with only 3:33 remaining in the game and Alabama holding only one timeout.

If the Gators could make a first down they could effectively win the game. If they didn’t they would at least punt and force 'Bama’s run-first offense to go the length of the field with no timeouts. Instead Florida WR Darrell Jackson muffed the punt surrounded by Alabama players at the 22-yard line. Alabama capitalized and scored the tying touchdown.

In overtime Florida scored first on a pass from Doug Johnson to Reche Caldwell. Then Jeff Chandler missed the PAT. After Alabama scored with a Shaun Alexander run, backup kicker Chris Kemp missed the winning PAT wide left…but Florida had jumped offside so he got a second chance. It also doesn’t look good, but was ruled good, as Alabama wins 40-39. Video of all the late drama.

http://www.gatorsendzone.com/articles/gator-perspective-the-30-worst-losses-in-florida-history/
  17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,436
    Exactly. I was there too. When the Noles danced on our logo at the end, I had to help my buddy away from our seats. They were his season tickets and as pi$$ed as everyone was, he was bringing the kind of attention that you don't want from your "neighbors."
  18. sierragator

sierragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +167
    Swindle
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +414
    I've been on GC since before the Swindle- it was such a travesty but I was thankful I had this forum to see that I wasn't crazy and that the game was fixed.

One of our posters compiled the national writers reaction to the Swindle. I copied his post and saved it but didn't copy his name- sorry. Here is a copy of his post...

Eddie Pells, AP, USA Today and others (2 articles): He refers to six key calls, ranging from questionable to "awful", and points out that they all went against the Gators. In his second article, he says that, normally, tough calls even out over the course of the game, but in this game all six went against the Gators. He mentions that the "worst" calls include the fumble on the opening kick-off, the so-called Fason fumble and the Washington fumble.

Dennis Dodd, CBS Sportsline.com: He says that the game featured the "officials gagging" and says that observers counted five plays that involved fumbles that "weren't called correctly". He thinks this was a case of incompetence rather than bias and calls for instant replay.

Mike Lopresti, USA Today: He compares the game to a bank robbery.

Matthew Zemek of CollegeFootballNews.com: He says that Florida "witnessed highway robbery by a bunch of guys wearing the prison bars". He calls for instant replay, saying that instant replay would have overturned the so-called Fason fumble.

Game Recap, CollegeFootballNews.com: Recap says that the game "will be remembered for some horrendous calls from the officials making the wrong call on several plays that would've turned the tide of the game, mostly for Florida." The Recap later says that "Gator fans will complain, and rightly so, that the team got hosed by bad play call after bad play call . . . "

Pete Futiak, CollegeFootballNews.com: Regarding the weekend games, he says: "The disappointment was the officiating in the Florida State-Florida game. This was one of the best games of the season that will be remembered as much for the missed calls as for the brilliant final drive by Chris Rix."

Who's Hot, Who's Not, CollegeFootballNews.com: Under Who's Not: "Officials in the Florida State-Florida game. There's always the adage that officials don't win or lose games, but Florida Gator fans might want to disagree after several badly missed fumble calls, highlighted by a down Ciatrick Fason fumble that was returned for an FSU score by Pat Watkins. Florida would have won going away if at least two of the calls had gone its way . . ."

Dan Shanoff, The Daily Quickie, ESPN Page2: "For instant replay. Atrociously one-sided officiating in Florida State's undeserved win over Florida single-handedly convinced me that college football needs a limited form of instant replay."

Mock Play-Off, ESPN Page2: Comment regarding FSU vs. Kansas State: "The 'Noles better bring their hometown ACC crew of refs from the Florida game; after a mediocre (by FSU standards) year, they'll need it."

Kirk Herbstreet, ESPN.com: After a question during a Chat session, he says: "Every national analyst and talking head from one time to another has had an opinion about how horribly officiated that game was. We can't go back and change the 5 or 6 blown calls that affected the outcome of that game. I said after the game Sat. night that was the best game in college football this year, but unfortunately it was also the worst officiated game I have seen all year. I don't know if I can ever recall so many game-changing blown calls. If you are a Florida fan, I feel for you .. but at this point, I don't know if anything can be done."

Stewart Mandel, SI.com: Lists FSU as his Team of the Week, but notes that they "got a little help from the refs". Lists FSU vs UF as the Game of the Week and says: "And, of course, the game wouldn't have been complete without some extra story lines, mainly several blown calls on fumbles that all went against the Gators, and a postgame brawl . . ." In his Closing Thought, he devotes four paragraphs to calling for instant replay. Here are his 2nd and 3rd paragraphs: "However, the officiating in Saturday's Florida State-Florida game was so overwhelmingly bad, so costly to one of the participants, that I can't help but rethink my stance. Normally bad calls have a way of evening themselves out over the course of a contest, but not this time. Not to take anything away from the Seminoles' effort, especially since Florida still had every opportunity to win the game, but the Gators did get severely screwed right from the opening kickoff, when Florida's Dallas Baker clearly stripped FSU return man Antonio Cromartie, only to have the officials rule Cromartie was down. If it had stopped there, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. But, no, the hits kept coming for poor Florida. Like the 'Noles tying the score late in the third quarter on a 25-yard fumble return that wasn't a fumble because Gators running back Ciatrick Fason had hit the ground about a full second earlier. Or Gators linebacker Channing Crowder emerging from the pile with a Leon Washington fumble, stopping an FSU drive at the Florida 3, only to have the refs credit Washington with retaining it."

Terry Bowden, ESPN.com: He refers to "questionable calls" and says that "the biggest story in this game has become the officiating. It seemed that every play involving a turnover featured a call that went against the Gators, from an FSU fumble on the opening kickoff that was ruled down to another on the goal line that was ruled recovered by running back Leon Washington. There was also some question about Florida fumble was also returned for a touchdown, and with ACC officials working the game you can imagine how enraged the Gator nation is." He then spends the rest of the column doing damage control for the ACC and FSU. He actually praises the ACC officials. His main point is that he thinks "it is ridiculous to assume they would deliberately favor one team".
    It's noteworthy that he never says what he thought of the officiating himself.

Matt Hayes, the Sporting News: He says it time to quit worrying about tradition and start using instant replay in college football. He says: "It's about getting it right when one call can be the difference between a BCS bowl and a trip to San Antonio. It's about putting the game in the hands of players and coaches, not officials." He then reviews initial steps by the Big 10 to request a waiver to allow instant replay. He points out that many dollars are at stake in these games and then ends the article this way: "Either pay up now, or pay later like Florida, which watched officials blow at least four fumble calls in a last-minute loss to Florida State. With a win over the Seminoles, the Gators would have gone to the Capital One Bowl ($5.1 million payout) instead of the Outback Bowl ($2.65 million)."

Joey Johnston, NBCSports.com: Under Game of the Year, he says: "This game may be best remembered for questionable officiating (the ACC crew seemed to miss six calls on fumbles or non-fumbles, all going against the Gators) and an ugly postgame brawl at midfield (the Seminoles broke out a Gator-head, then taunted their opponents by dancing on the midfield "F' logo in Gainesville)."

MSNBC staff: In a column titled, Ask the College Football Expert, there is a question and response about the UF/FSU game. I'll copied the question and first paragraph of the response for brevity: "Q: In light of the poor officiating in the Florida State-Florida game, why aren’t crews from neutral conferences regularly used in non-conferences games, especially the marquee ones? — From Don in Denver A: Good question, Don. Just to refresh everyone’s memory, the Florida State-Florida game in Gainesville employed ACC officials (from the conference of visiting FSU) as per the contract agreed upon by both schools. You’d like to think there’s impartiality, but such sensibilities often are washed away in a fiery rivalry like FSU-Florida. All the questionable calls (involving fumbles or non-fumbles) went against Florida. After a while, you had to scratch your head."
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. swampbabe

swampbabe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +431
    Now, I'm pissed off all over again. Thanks :mad:
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1