Major rules changes proposed by the NCAA

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Feb 12, 2014.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,379
    To each their own, but sports are generally more interesting when the standing around part isn't seven to eight times as long as the actual action. Plus commercials.

That's the first thing most non-Americans notice about football... why are people standing around for so long... it's boring.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,601
    WTF???

Snap the ball BEFORE the play clock reaches 29 seconds (or less), and you're penalized for 'DELAY of game'???

That's a complete contradiction. Am I reading that wrong?
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Fairly standard for NCAA to recommend 1 awful rule for every logical one they propose.

I don't know if they think it's some sort of diversion or what.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,601
    BTW: for all the talk of Saban, Malzahn, and Richrod, et. al.,

...I think that second rule will suit Champ just fine. :)
  5. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +731
    If they are really worried about injuries, and not being able to stop hurry up offenses, then the rule change can be real simple. After a first down, the referee stops the clock and waits 10 seconds before spotting the ball, allowing defenses to substitute. This way, at most, a player wouldn't be "forced" to participate in no more than 4 consecutive plays. If a team goes for it on 4th, either they make it, and then the D can sub, or they don't, and the D gets off the field.

Of course, allowing for guaranteed subs only after 1st downs would take away a D's ability to situational sub...but the rule change is about injuries, right?
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Stewie4Governor

Stewie4Governor Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +146
    1. Did I miss the part where they outlawed injury timeouts? If it is to the point where a kid can't breathe, then he can at any time lie down on the ground and get medical treatment. If injury timeouts are abused, fine the coaches.

2. Football is not an equal "employment" opportunity. Stamina is a skill just like speed, strength, agility. If you don't have the stamina to play an entire drive, for whatever reason, what makes you deserve special rules? They don't cater football to slow weak players. Why cater to asthmatics?

On a side note: Do asthmatics not play basketball? There is much more exertion in between stoppages of play in basketball. And, have any asthmatics ever come out and commented/complained about the HUNH?

3. Evolution and innovation is bad. I can't adapt. I don't want to change. Whhaaaaaahhhhhh!!!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,806
    The problem is... the more we introduce time clock management rules to the game the more referee intervention, slow-downs we'll have in games. Don't you hate it when the referees takeover football games?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,379
    I don't think any change is called for, but this is a good compromise if they are hell bent on adding a rule.
  9. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Since I made this thread it has been reported Saban was in the room when this rule was being discuss. I do not expect this to actually pass. I still like that it was proposed and hopefully there will be some healthy dialogue on this topic. Hopefully they can come up with a better solution to the issue than what was proposed.
  10. gatorinmi

gatorinmi Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +233
    Yeah, and the first one! Is he the actual rules committee?
  11. tafc_5_1981

tafc_5_1981 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
    Even with 3 NTs at Bama (and few losses), Satan still haunted from Utah, A&M, Auburn, OK fast pace attacks.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  12. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    The second proposition is ridiculous, and it puts teams like LSU and Alabama at an advantage-particularly 'Bama. They oversign, stockpile athletes, and I thought the one way to sort of offset that advantage that they have was to hurry it up. Sumlin and Malzahn worked them silly over the last couple of seasons.

Now you give them time to get guys off the field, tap into their depth, and put fresh bodies on the field? What a joke. Have fun watching 'Bama not lose a game for the next four years if they force teams to slow it down.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. goneagaingator

Ratings Received:
    +707
    We did it against Oklahoma in the BCS title game. Meyer worked them silly in practice all month, we showed up in better condition than the Sooners, and shut them down cold. You can absolutely condition players to adapt and, if that means you see fewer and fewer 320 lb. nose tackles, oh well.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatormonk

gatormonk Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +234
    Larry Fedora responds:
    http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2014/larry-fedora-nick-saban-jab/

“Now if you’re just going under the assumption that if you play more plays you have more chance for injury – I agree with that,” Fedora said in a phone interview with the Raleigh News & Observer. “But if you’re going to say this is under player safety, but we’re going to do it in the last two minutes of the game, well then are we saying we’re not concerned with player safety in the last two minutes of the game? I mean, come on. I just don’t get that.

“I think you’ve got more chance of players getting hurt if the opposing team has too many five-star players on it,” Fedora said. “So let’s just say one team can only sign two five-star players on its team. How about that?”
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. phatGator

phatGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +353
    Love his comment. I had the same thought about the last two minutes the first time I read it.

I seem to recall seeing numbers about 30 yrs ago that the average college team ran 80 plays a game while pro only ran 60. I thought that contributed to college being more fun to watch. Don't know what the numbers are now.

Perhaps they should just give each team 50 plays. At the end of that the team with more points wins. [btw that is a terrible idea].

Better yet, if safety is really the concern, then just have the schools send Xbox teams. Then no one gets hurt. Well, maybe carpal tunnel syndrome.
  16. buddhistgator

buddhistgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    OU scored 24 points and were inside our five yard on two other occasions without a score. They averaged over 5 yards per play. We hardly shut them down cold but we came up with big plays on defense.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. buddhistgator

buddhistgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    Major hypocrisy here. Saban wants a delayed snap count but is trying to get a rule change using a hurry up offense that doesn't allow the other coaches to get to the line of scimmage and make their case. How can you make that case that player safety is the reason for this rule and allow it in the late stage of a game. Player safety isn't important in the 4th quarter??

It's all BS - this is about protecting coaches, not players. In fact fast paced games are better for player health in that there is less incentive to weigh 300 + pounds.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. goneagaingator

Ratings Received:
    +707
    No, OU didn't score 24 points; they scored 14, which was roughly 35 points below their season average. If that's not shutting them down "cold", then I don't know what you call it. We also held them to roughly 200 yards below their season average. Who cares if they averaged over five yards per play? If they only managed fourteen points, I don't care what their average YPP netted.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,809
    the first rule makes sense. However, the second rule is stupid. Saban has been pushing for this rule claiming there will be less injuries. however there is no proof of this. offensive coordinators have come up with a way to keep the defenses on their heels so now teams like Alabama that run a pro set offense want the rules changed to benefit their teams. the Gators realize this and brought in an OC to run such an offense and any other team out there can do the same thing. the problem is, the players they have recruited, do not fit that system so they feel it's easier to just change the rules to benefit their team.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Bama has changed some things in recruiting they will be fine. They get to pick who they want so in the end they will win anyways. You see them add two elite CB's and more importantly they added 3 of the top 7 pass rushers in the class of 2014. My problem is the game is about to turn into who can get lined up the fastest is this what we really want?

http://www.footballscoop.com/news/3...-hurry-up-offenses-are-deteriorating-the-game

“Canadian ball is very fast-paced, but the offense can’t sit there all day long. They have a 20 second limit. The NFL cut it out with Buffalo in the 90’s, they kind of put some cold water on it a little bit with the Colts not too many years ago. What they realized is they’re taking the game of football and turning it into soccer or lacrosse. There’s nothing wrong with those sports, but that’s not football.”

"What it's about now is who can snap the football before the other team lines up. You can’t hardly get your players on and off the field. You can’t get your signals in and out. It’s become who has the best signal system or verbiage system. “

“Frankly, I don’t know what that proves except someone has a better verbiage package. It’s not about blocking, tackling, running, route running, throwing, and so forth. It’s something the college football world needs to look at.”
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014