M and W Tennis vs Arky

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by apkgator, Mar 28, 2014.

1. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,108
    Both teams should have cruised pretty easily today. Women took care of business in quick fashion and blanked the Hogs with no trouble.

Men were coming off a very strong weekend where they played against quality competition. Arky came in 1-6 in conference play. UF played dismal at the top 2 doubles spots and lost that point. Got quality wins from Orkin and Hidalgo in singles, but the veterans showed nothing as UF loses 4-2. Really really bad loss and hard one to figure out.
  2. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +138
    This is only the second time Arkansas has ever beaten the Florida Men's Tennis Team. It is the worst loss I have experienced during the 12 years I have been associated with Gator tennis. There is no other way of putting it other than this is a step backwards for the program. The only solution is to keep recruiting and recruiting hard. I believe in the current coaching staff. No one took this harder than them, as they have countless hours invested in the program and team.
  3. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,108
    Thanks for the input coach....was kind of hoping you might have some special circumstances to explain it because it was sure a headscratcher on the surface. But it sounds like exactly what I thought, a no show by the vets on the squad. Upsets happen (although they are more rare in team tennis because so many individual upsets have to occur) and sometimes a match like this defines a season, one way or the other. We will find out what they are made of.
    But this also defined they are going to need more than what the early signing period delivered. Need more firepower
  4. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +138
    Interesting circumstance you might have seen or maybe overlooked. The doubles was tweaked last week because we needed more help at certain doubles positions. This did not work well Friday. In singles, all three of the losses for us came from players who Coach Jackson recruited. Was he in their heads Friday? Only they know for sure. But the two wins, and the one with Lipman involved, Lipman was up 5-1 in the third, were all provided by recruits that had nothing to do with Jackson. Once again, a loss like this should never happen to the University of Florida. Arkansas has some scrappy kids but they are not the caliber of players Florida put out on the court Friday. But how much you want to win, and the energy you bring to the match, plays a great part in athletic success. The program expectations are being developed daily by this excellent coaching staff. It may cost us some wins this year. But it should pay dividends down the road. But the KEY is recruiting success at a high level. Stay tuned!
  5. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,108
    You pretty much summed it up....youngsters performed and the vets fell flat, which is exactly the opposite of what you expect on the road. But the play of Lippman, Hidalgo, and Orkin has been encouraging.
    Frankly, doubles has been disappointing all year with the depth of talent on this roster. I guess you keep tweaking till you find the right recipe, but time is running short.

Just keep my fingers crossed for some positive news on the signing front!