Lynda

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by GatorGrowl, Dec 28, 2012.

1. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,167
    Are any familiar with Lynda.com?

I am going to start some self training in February and plan on using their products.

My background-

I was just hired to do the video and sound editing at church. We use 4 cameras to record our services, then I edit the service using Adobe PR, Sound Booth and After Effects. Right now my knowledge of these programs is what I have been taught in the last month.

Once edited we mail the DVD to Charter who broadcasts it on their systems in parts of Tennessee. We also load it for podcasts.

I then extract and edit the audio and send a CD to the local radio station.

So, I had not heard of Lynda until a couple weeks ago and am intrigued by it.

What I would like to learn-

After Effects- my church uses all the same avi saved imagery that the person who started the TV ministry created. Even the guy who trained me goes through a process to make sure that we do not alter any of those templates. I would like to create new ones and even have series specific ones. IOW, if the pastor goes from one series to another then change up the graphics.

I would also like to improve the church website, right now they used canned templates and such from Ezekiel, but I would like to start by learning Word Press.

Also, there are places that sell background images and such for the media screens we use on our screens in worship services, it just seems like it would be easy to lean how to do some of this stuff and not have to pay for it (but more importantly I would like the satisfaction of creating the stuff myself).

So, how hard is this stuff to learn if one has the software? We have the Adobe stuff I mentioned plus Photoshop. I am 60, but am a pretty quick study on software applications and such. Time is my greatest asset in that this is what I do most of the day now.

I am not looking to learn this stuff to make money, but to do stuff I enjoy.
  2. SteelGator

SteelGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Sounds like fun! I hope you are able to learn what you need.

Never heard of Lynda.com, but I've heard good things about http://psd.tutsplus.com/. Loads of Photoshop tutorials for free.

Here's another one that might be worth a look: http://photoshoptutorials.ws/

I know we have some graphics/audio/video experts who check in periodically, so hopefully they can chime in.
  3. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,167