LSU's offense

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by BayouBengal, Oct 9, 2013.

1. BayouBengal

BayouBengal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I keep reading posts on this board about how UF's defense is going to shut down LSU's offense just like it did in 2012. I think you are ignoring a few important facts.

1) In 2012 Mettenberger was a first year starter in the SEC and the coaches were extremely conservative in their play calling in order not to put too much on his shoulders. Different story this year, they are letting him fling it all over the field on first, second and third downs. He is the most improved player in CFB.

2) Cam Cameron, biggest offseason addition in college football. He has LSU running a pro-style offense and it is a thing of beauty.

3) LSU's running game. Everyone knows how good Hill is, but LSU has three other backs who can get it done, Hilliard, Magee, and Blue. Equally important to the running game is LSU's bulldozer of a FB, JC Copeland. He is 270 lbs. and he is vital to opening up the running lanes.

4) WR's Landry and Beckham are the best WR tandem in CFB. Best two WR's we've had in recent memory. Good luck to your secondary trying to shut them down.

We are averaging 45.5 points per game. UF's defense, even with the loss of your best player in Easley, is still very good, but I think LSU still puts up at least 28 points on Saturday and gets the win.
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    You've played terrible defenses.
  3. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    Yes, this is a Gator's messageboard.
  4. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +169
    Argument: LSU's run game production against a terrible Georgia defense? 36 carries for 77 yards (2.1 yards per).

Conclusion: Corndogs cain't run.

[​IMG]
  5. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +764
    And on the Tiger message board, there are a bunch of people predicting that LSU scores over 40 points. Obviously, the LSU offense is better than Arkansas', but the Florida defense is better than MSU's. 40 points is a silly prediction, as is 6 points.
  6. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,741
    You're amazing 23rd ranked offense gets exactly 0.2 ypg more than The Ewe. 488.6 v 488.8.

We gave Miami 5 TOs and they still only eeked out 212 yards.
  7. GatorChoice

GatorChoice Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    I wouldn't be overly surprised if we give up 28, but I visited your boards just to gauge opinion and was amazed at the score predictions. The majority of posters there predicted LSU scoring in the high 30s to high 40s, some even into the 50s. That's certainly possible, but I think it's more unlikely than UF's D limiting them to 10 or less. Interesting match-up!
  8. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,741
    Mark it zero!
  9. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +377
    we totally were not aware of that....wow thanks hey can somebody tell Muschamp! Quick the game is this Saturday he probably has last years film still
  10. raycgator

raycgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    Just post some LSUFreek .gifs and call it a day
  11. GatorCrazy11

GatorCrazy11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +82
    I think you're forgetting that you haven't seen a defense nearly as good as ours yet this year. Have fun stopping Beckham, Jr. and Landry? How about have fun completing a pass on VH3.
  12. PowerGator

PowerGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +137
    Does anybody think we our going to shut down LSU's offense? Limit maybe but not shutdown. The LSU offense is completely different than 2012. I think LSU scores in the 20's. Can't wait for Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  13. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,598
    I don't think anyone believes we'll hold LSU to 6 points or be anywhere near that dominating, because as you point out, your offense is much better than last year. There's no doubt about that.

But there's a lot of room between 6 the points allowed last year and the 28 you're projecting. Overall, our defense is better than last year, and our offense is better, so we're holding the ball longer, gaining more yards, and winning the field position battle.

Our secondary is much, much better than any you've faced, and we will get some heat on Mettenberger to get his attention. Throwing into tighter windows and getting knocked down on the throw tends to change things for a QB. It won't be the same experience he's had so far this year.

Personally, I think 17 to 20 is about what you'll get, but I don't think it will go higher than that, unless we have another meltdown with turn overs.

Will be an interesting match up.
  14. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +180
    In 11 SEC games over the 2011 and 2012 seasons, UF has given up 20 points one time, at UT last season, and 17 or less in the 10 other SEC games. Mind telling me how LSU is going to score 28?

While you're at it, can you tell me how LSU is going to stop UF after giving up 44 to a healthy UGA offense and 26 to a not so good MSU offense? Is the LSU defense going to suddenly turn into a beast that it has not been to date?

My prediction:

Florida 24
    Louisiana State 20
  15. TWGator

TWGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +108
    "Our offense averages a bazillion points a game and a gazillion yards, too. No way you hold our offense under 60 points. None."

- Random Oklahoma Sooner fans, circa December 2008
    • Like Like x 2
  16. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    I was having similar flashbacks.
  17. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    One must give the LSU offense their due. They ARE that good. Mettenburger has been on fire and can throw into a small window. If we give him the opportunities that we gave Arkansas (they dropped a half dozen open chances) he will light our vaunted secondary up. VH3 is money, but Roberson may not play and Purifoy gives up a few. The problem for us is going to be Cody Riggs who is out of position a few times a game. If I am LSU, I spread us out, find him and go after him.

We will get our shots, and I feel better about this game than I did a few weeks ago, but we will give up more points to LSU than many fans here believe. Hope we win, but I wouldn't bet the house on it.
  18. Atl_Gatr

Atl_Gatr Member

Ratings Received:
    +6

Would that be the "running game" that put up 77 yds on UGA?
  19. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +194
    Anyone that thinks UF shuts down LSU is kidding themselves. Lucky for us, we don't have to shut them down to win. Bengal, your points are valid, but maybe exaggerated. Cameron has done wonders for your O, no doubt. Mettenberger has excelled in the first part of the season...also no arguing that. Landry and Beckham if no the best tandem in CFB are at least close.

Here are a few of the problems I think LSU faces in this matchup. LSU's run game is very good, but they don't 'scare' a team like UF on tape. By that I mean they have big backs, but they're only homerun threats when teams put 8-9 in the box and there's only one level to beat. Part of the reason UM hit a big play actiin on us is bc they have a rb that our safeties don't want to see in the open field. Copeland is obviously a bruiser, but I'd actually like playing him more than someone like Ajagbe. We play an aggressive man scheme and will often not even cover the backfield. I think against LSU, we'll play our usual man on the outside, rob the middle (which we also commonly do), but also give help over top. We'll give LSU the flats, but the worst thing about Copeland catching a pass is that our whole D will have to pause for a sec to chuckle at the chubby guy getting the ball. That brings up the most important point IMO...Even with UFs secondary being filled with future Sunday players, we are one of a few teams (bc of our D heavy staff) that will throw new wrinkles at LSU that they haven't seen this year. It's one of the big reasons why teams move the ball for two series against us and then get shut down. LSU, bc of playing very questionable Ds (and yes TCU is good, but was also without their best player), has been able to play a timing game all season. Just won't happen against LSU and I wouldn't be surprised to see the old mustache come out a few times.

Simply put...LSU's D won't show UF anything new, but UF's D will be more skilled, more athletic and more complex than anything LSU has seen all year. Comparing games can obviously be misleading, but it does lend credit to a point. If people don't think UFs D is 14 points better than Auburn's then they've been eating too many crawdads. The real question for LSU fans should be if they think their D can hold us to less than they held MSU to.
  20. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    That's the one!