Louisville @ UK Saturday 4:00pm

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatordavisl, Dec 28, 2013.

1. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702
    Agree with the already mentioned thought that UL is overrated. The one ranked team they'd played was UNC and they lost.

That being said, Randle was injured for the last 11 minutes and the game was within a few points. Very impressed with the tough play by a team playing without their one, true stud player (from what we've seen so far). The twins are starting to play to their strengths - driving and playing through contact. That's important for this team.

I'm not saying UK can't beat Florida, but that game shouldn't give UF fans reason to be ultra concerned IMO. I think Pitino and Donovan like to do some of the same things, but the two teams have little in common personnel wise. UL, at this point, has no true point guard, little post presence, and their shooters (with the exception of Smith) are relatively unathletic and easy to stick with.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas btw.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,116
    As expected, Louisville's defense is not as good this year when they're not allowed to mug the opposing team for 40 minutes.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Any updates on Randle? Is he okay?
  4. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702

Only thing being reported is that its just cramps. He's been dealing with them for 4 days now. Certainly doesn't sound serious.
  5. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    Merry X-mas to you as well.

It's an impressive UK team, far better already than last season. Like us, they have a high ceiling, higher than ours (but it will be a bit tougher for them to get all of the way there).

They just have so many physically gifted players. Cal will be able to use the bench if he wants to make some points with a few of them. In some ways, it will be more challenging for Cal to coach this bunch, because finding the minutes to keep them all happy won't be easy. It's almost like they have too many players.

Two things have to happen for them repeat the 2011-12 team's accomplishment. They have to find some leadership. I don't see that yet, but its still pretty early. Second, they have to figure out how to shut down guards who can dribble drive. I see too many guys driving past the Harrison's and they're going to come across some great guards in the tourney.

I'm sure there's other issues, but they have loads of talent and depth.
  6. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Then Florida should beat UK by 20 at Rupp and 35 at the O'Dome. It is going to be a great year for Florida.
  7. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +459
    Good win for Kentucky and the SEC. Unfortunately, Louisville doesn't look very impressive. The only even reasonably decent team they have played yet other than Ky, was UNC, and they lost to them in Louisville. Playing in Lexington had to help the Wildcats.

I think Mad's assessment is likely to be reasonably correct in the long run.
  8. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +887
    Going to be interesting to see them against Memphis on the 9th
  9. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +887
    Sounds nice in theory but we all know that wont happen. We could very easily lose to them in rupp but I do expect us to take double digit win at the o'dome
  10. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Ratings Received:
    +730
    Hey like I've said for years this process is a journey. They took a great step yesterday and learned how to play as a team. Now it's time for Camp Cal to toughen them up and practice free throws.

Jeff
  11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    UK logged an impressive win against the Cards. Clearly KY had a huge advantage in the paint.
    Always tough at Rupp. Everytime I see Randle I wince because he's wearing the wrong uniform (lol).

What I like about KY is they play very good defense, have great length and depth. They are tough to score against.
    The Harrisons seem to be getting progressively better.

I agree KY will continue to get better as the season progresses. I see the offensive side of the ball as the area they need the most work. As far as UF / KY goes I expect a split in the regular season. Lets face it, if we didn't beat them last year at UK odds are much greater we don't beat them their this year.

Right now I like UF's chances a bit more to win the regular season title than UK if the Gators stay healthy and as Walker comes into play.

I expect both teams to have pretty good seeds come March. Gonna be fun to watch.