Lotta money for a 2 weeks in a hotel

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Jun 11, 2014.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,561
  2. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +760
    He's the president....he's going to have staff, Secret Service, advance teams traveling with him.

I don't recall your complaining about this during the administration who shall not be named.
  3. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,080
    I understand that past Presidents did a lot of things that I think many Republicans look back on and shake their head at, and I mean Republican Presidents. I think the current climate of our country's financial issues has caused a lot of people to take our budget more seriously than they ever had, and that's not a bad thing. We're in a bad way financially. We just are. Did Republicans spend really badly when Bush was around? Absolutely, and if I could go back, it's something I would have paid attention to more.

The reality is - that doesn't matter. What matters is now. Right now it's bad, and right now we can't keep allowing our government officials to keep spending the way they have been. I'm sorry to all the Democrats that this had to happen with their man in office, but we have to start taking this kind of stuff seriously at some point.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. thedude60

thedude60 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +411
    According to the esteemed author of this thread we are looking at 268.00 per room, per night. Try and book that at any decent hotel anywhere. I don't recall any Prez every staying at motel six. So leave the light on and get over it . Next thing we know some people will be demanding he travels coach instead of Air Force One.
  5. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,835
    Oh yeah, he has loads and loads people traveling with him. This country will rue the day we put this guy in office.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +760
    Did you say that when Bush was in office.....because he costs taxpayers a lot more:

To put Obama's use of Air Force One into context, we also asked for travel data for his predecessor, President George W. Bush. Bush took 89 missions and 259 sorties in 2002, his second year as president, according to the airlift group. And in his first two years, Bush took 148 missions with 416 sorties, compared with 126 missions with 324 sorties for Obama over two years.

In comparison to Bush and Clinton, Obama is economizing:

When President Bush traveled to England in the fall of 2003 for a state visit, the Guardian reported that "Mr. Bush, his wife, Laura, and a 700-strong entourage worthy of a travelling medieval monarch, flew into Heathrow airport." And the Telegraph broke it down further, reporting that "Mr. Bush will be accompanied by a retinue consisting of 250 members of the Secret Service, 150 advisers from the National Security Department, 200 representatives of other government departments and 50 political aides." Also traveling with the president were "his personal chef, personal assistants, four cooks, medics and the presidential 15-strong sniffer dog team," according to the report.

In 1999, the General Accounting Office (now the Government Accountability Office) issued a report detailing the amount of planning and personnel support that went into executing President Bill Clinton's foreign trips to Africa, Chile and China in 1998.

According to the GAO, nearly 500 people played a role in Clinton's nine-day trip across China, either traveling with the president, providing support to the delegation of travelers, or traveling to China earlier as a part of several advance teams that assisted in the planning of the president's trip. And nearly 600 were involved in Clinton's five-day trip to Chile that year, and nearly 1,300 were a part of Clinton's 11-day trip across Africa as well. And those totals did not include members of the Secret Service or non-federal officials and private citizens who later reimbursed the government for their travel costs, GAO said

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/07/the-traveling-president/
  7. igor

igor New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Yes, we understand well; spending isn't important enough to address unless there's a Dem in the White House.

Fortunately, Obama has cut in half the deficit left to him by a Republican POTUS. And Clinton left office with a balanced budget. While the last two 2-term GOP Presidents quadrupled and doubled the debt.

It's clear under whom the vast majority of the spending occurs. Good thing you righties care about it so much.....once someone YOU didn't vote for is in office. ;)
  8. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +3,835
    I got it, but Bush.......
    And I'm expected to defend everything he did right? Please don't give me the Obama economizing crap, you would think we can agree this stuff is way overboard. You're the one defending him sooooooo...............

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-ONE-night-costing-10-4-million-security.html
  9. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,080
    oh yeah?
  10. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +3,835
    That is incorrect

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/06/11/treasury-budget-deficit-may/

11. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +760
    I presented the info on Bush and Clinton to provide you with perspective. You have to admit that it's hypocritical that Pubs howl at Obama's travel expenses however were totally silent when Bush spent more and traveled with a larger entourage.
  12. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,043
    Yes. But damn talk about out of touch. Our 'leaders' are anything but.
  13. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +3,835
    You have a fair point but at what point do the American people say enough? We elect Presidents and don't have a monarch.
  14. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +760
    Why do you draw the line with this president....but not the others?
  15. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +3,835
    It has to happen at some point doesn't it, and now the debt is too far out of control. I'm trying to find some common ground with you here but you're not making it easy Missy. :D
    Lets not pretend that I haven't spoke out about Bush's spending and his lawlessness of bailouts.
  16. thedude60

thedude60 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +411
    Since we are talking spending, lets go back to the 1960 tax rates for over $ 1 million earners...That will make a helluva start. I would think the new tea party populists would love this, if they are really populists.
  17. dangolegators

dangolegators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +590
    The hypocrisy of conservatives is in full view on this thread.
  18. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,988
    I haven't complained about the travel expenses. I realize that probably over 50% of the party is security. And as the threats grow, the security gets tighter.
  19. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +565
    Dude, I don't even stay at Motel 6. Hell, my last business trip my hotel cost $390 a night before taxes and I didn't stay in the top quarter of hotels in the area.
  20. JBufgogators

JBufgogators Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +23
    If your not I will. ;)

1.Debt has risen and keeps rising, and we are in biggest financial mess EVER in my lifetime. All of DC needs to be careful on their elaborate meetings. Heck even the Queen of England is being more thrifty these days.

2.Its not like we are living in the 90s folks. A lot of the meetings could be done via conference video by all the countries. If the Pres needs help with technology I would be happy to fly up to help him out with learning all this new technology. He doesn't have to pay me, just lunch and the guest quarters would be good.