Lose it! App

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by chrisleakfan4life, Feb 9, 2012.

1. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,884
    In the end, these apps are like any other diet tool/scheme/technique: They're only as productive as the user is willing to make them.

If she's gonna lie to herself and the app, then why should she expect positive results? If she's willing to be honest about her intake, then these apps are immensely powerful tools, IMO.
  2. Gator_Tom66

Gator_Tom66 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    I like mfp better than lose it, but with either garbage in equals garbage out.
  3. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,884
    Me, too. I've used both now (MFP for about 3 months total / LI! for about a month total) and I much prefer MFP.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +805
    I suppose people can and do lie about food intake. But I'm rather inclined to believe that most people just suck at it. A recent ward study included participants who claimed to be eating next to nothing and who were complaining about not losing weight.

They estimated their daily caloric intake at 1,082 calories. Their actual intake:

2,081 calores.
  5. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,884
    Fair enough. I think that they're "sucking at it" is really just lying to themselves at some level.

When one enters food into these apps whether that be by scanning a bar code or searching for the item in the apps database, there are serving sizes attached to it. The sizes are right there:

Jiff Peanut Butter
    Calories per serving: 280
    Serving size: 2 tbls

^^ I'm making these #s up, but I think the point is clear. If they choose to look at 2 cups of Coco-Puffs and call it 2/3 of a cup, then they're either incredibly stupid (a real possibility) or choosing to lie to themselves at some level.

For me, I'd measure out 2/3 of a cup of cereal then pour it in a bowl. See what it looks like. Then I'd do it again the next time I had cereal. After that, I'd know how much to pour from the box into the bowl.

That's why I like these. They're free and they take the estimating away from the honest dieter. There's nothing we can do about the dishonest ones. ;)
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +805
    I like the approach. It's akin to taking a snapshot of your meal. Whether calorie-counting or measuring, the nice thing is that you shouldn't have to do it forever, especially if you don't crave endless variety. I myself tend to eat the same 5 or six meals over and over again. I don't think in terms of "How many calories do I get to have ?" anymore. Rather, I think in terms of "This is the amount of food I can eat without gaining weight."
  7. Gator_Tom66

Gator_Tom66 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8

Totally agree.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. exiledgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,884
    Exactly. I've gotten some friends into them and I tell them the same thing: Just do it at least 5 days a week for 6 weeks. After that you'll have accomplished two things:

1.) you'll have lost 6-10 pounds
    2.) you'll forever know how much you're supposed to eat.

'Cause you're right. Most of us eat the same foods over and over - so one could likely learn what proportions to eat after just ~2 weeks. But it's fun to make that weight loss graph go down. :)
  9. BossaGator

BossaGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +387
    I'm down to 221 lbs, 1 lb over my target for mid-May. LoseIt stopped working on my phone weeks ago - I can't tell why - so thanks for nothing, LoseIt.
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    Doesnt sound like you need it if you are two months ahead of schedule.
  11. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +805
    Sounds like LoseIt lost it.
  12. BossaGator

BossaGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +387
    Yeah, honestly I think I've been more conservative than necessary with my diet given my activity level. All these calorie counting apps are probably very useful, but I got pretty annoyed when I had logged all my intake meticulously for several days and the app just inexplicably crapped out. So I guess while its probably a useful app, the others get my vote by default.
  13. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    My sister just got pissed at whatever online tool she was using to track her meals because they just out of the blue removed ounces. She spent a lot of time entering meals and stuff and now will have to redo everything so I am sure she would understand your frustration.

I dont use an app but I do track with fitday, the thing is it takes a lot of set up to get it to where its useful as most of the things I eat are not accurate in there. Plus I am also at a place where I pretty much know where I am every day without having to track everything now.

After some trial and error you will probably figure it out too.