Looking to buy a push lawn mower

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by brainstorm, Mar 11, 2014.

1. brainstorm

brainstorm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +958
    I don't have a large yard - maybe 1/3 acre - but would like to get a reliable mower that does a good job cutting the grass. I would like to stay in the $400 or less range. Reliable and easy to use are my biggest needs.

Has anyone tried an electric - either cord or cordless? If so, do you recommend them? Brand?

Thanks!
  2. g8tr96

g8tr96 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +840
    If your grass is thick St. Augustine, then make sure you get a self propelled mower. I have this one....and it's perfect for my lawn. My yard size sounds similar to yours.

The large back wheel makes it easier to turn and somewhat easier to push also.

I would never get an electric one. That's just me though....

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-160c...1x000001&kpid=07137060000&kispla=07137060000P

[​IMG]

This one is $155.00 off the original price....and that gets it in under $300 :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,082
    I have a honda with an electric start (though it also has a cord just in case). It's a damn good mower too. Used to have a John Deere. Both are great mowers but I like the electric start on the honda better, though I don't like the fixed front wheels (my JD had turnable wheels).

I think we spent close to 500 for ours but can't remember right now.
  4. brainstorm

brainstorm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +958
    How long have you had it? Did you buy the 3 year service agreement? Can I fit the box in the back of my Honda Accord?

Looks like a winner to me...
  5. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +690
  6. camp1

camp1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    Replaced my Husqvarna self propelled with a Honda right around $400.

The Honda is a much better mower.
  7. g8tr96

g8tr96 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +840

If your car is a hatch back, I would think it would fit in there if you fold down the back seats.

This is actually my 2nd Craftsman mower. The first one I bought was a used one from a Flea Market. It lasted about 10 years. After that one croaked. I bought a new mower from Wally World and it only lasted about 5 years. I then bought a new Craftsman about 5 years ago and it's still running strong.

I didn't buy the service agreement. To me, the Craftsman mowers are pretty reliable and I felt like I'd never use the service agreement. Eventually I had no problems with the mower during the first three years......so I saved money by not getting that service agreement.
  8. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Have had a Honda for about 7 years. Still runs well and starts first pull every time.

Only problem that I have with it is the fastest setting on the self propelling doesn't work anymore. I just live with it.

Also, the thing is stinking heavy.
  9. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +632
    I have a motorless rotary mower that cuts St. Augustine great if you like to push.
    The trick with them is not letting the grass get taller than the mower blades.
    It never fails to crank, ever.
    Another type that is good is the front wheel drive. To turn you push down on the handle and it lifts the drive wheel. Easiest to turn and if your yard has a lot of turns...
  10. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +886
    Bought one of those and returned it. I'm athletic and almost 220 pounds and couldn't push the mower after a weeks growth. I don't have the time or inclination to mow twice a week
  11. rpmGator

Ratings Received:
    +632
    If you have Bahia lawn, they don't work as well but on St. Augustine, mine works great. Had one guy pull over and get out and wanted to mow with it as he grew up with one. He did a good job.

Might have been the mower brand as I can always push mine but it will miss the higher stuff if it gets too tall and have to go over it again to get all of it. Anyhow, the big wheel mowers go straight best, the front end drive mowers work better when you have lots of turns to make. I plant trees and shrubs and try to limit the grass as they are easier to take care of than grass.
  12. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +866
    Be a real man.

scottmower.jpg

Libs will love ya.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. wjd

wjd Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I have owned Honda's for 30 years. I've watched my friends buy Toro's and other brands quite frequently, while mine have lasted me an average of about 12 years of mowing thick St. Augustine. Do yourself a favor regardless of the brand and get the self propelled one!
  14. rpmGator

Ratings Received:
    +632
    To make a motor last longer, if you store it over winter, run the gas tank dry first. In spring with fresh gas it should fire right back up.

If you keep it filled, put some stabil in first and run it long enough to get the additive into the motor before you store it.

Same with your gas can. Pour what is left into the car and buy fresh in spring. Stabil in the can if you keep the can filled.

Keep the motor dry out of
  15. rpmGator

Ratings Received:
    +632
    the rain. A wash tub won't do it.