Looking for weight loss / workout advice

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by 108, Mar 29, 2013.

1. llm85

llm85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +544
    In late June, my brother-in-law, an MD, had a frank talk with me. Lose weight or risk serious health problems down the road. He wanted to start me on a drug regimen, but I asked him to give me a chance on my own.

I'm 55, and work in an office. My daughter told me about an app, myfitnesspal. I had no idea I was eating so poorly.

I'm am averaging 40+ minutes a day on a bike, at least 5 days and sometimes 6 days a week. I first had to force myself to get up, but now, with the results, I know how important it is to do it. On the weekends I'll do yard work (which I hate), which burns extra calories.

I also watch what I eat.

The app keeps track of both calories burned and calories consumed.

The results, 30 pounds lost (about 12%) and over three inches lost in my girth.

As hokey as it may sound, I am convinced that it's diet and exercise.
  2. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Congrats on the success so far, keep it up man.

Agreed that it is about diet and exercise, but if ONLY concern is losing weight, it is more diet, less exercise. If you are pushing it... really pushing it, you may burn 1000 calories an hour. Realistically, most workouts are probably in the neighborhood of 500 or less per hour. Think about how quickly you can eat 1000 calories? (1.5 slices of pizza). Food choice/Ingestion rate >>>>> burn rate. Thus, diet is priority 1 in losing weight.

However, I feel that being thin for the sake of being thin and at the same time still not strong enough to do anything, or have the endurance to do stuff for a long time basically makes you equivalent to a "white elephant", might make you "pretty"... but you are basically useless in any physical activity. Exercise and exercise alone will prepare you to be "useful".

As a side note, I was also given the throwdown by a doctor. I was put on blood pressure medicine when I was overweight in my 20's. My doctor told me that it was primarily my weight since I didn't have a strong history of high BP in my family, absolutely none at that age. She also said that very few people ever get off of BP meds once they start because they simply can't lose the weight and/or sustain the weight loss, so get used to the medication.

I was only on BP meds for 3 years, and have been off of them for almost 7. HA!

-----

Second side note: Had a discussion with a fitness instructor who also does fitness modeling shows (high heels and bikini type stuff, but not body building). She was asked by someone who is very fit how to lose the little bits of stubborn flab she has (for her wedding). The instructor said one word: "diet". Basically, there are no exercises to get rid of that nor can you exercise more for the additional calorie burn. The "last little bit" is all diet. Her suggestion was to drop the crap foods and processed stuff. She said that is what she is doing very strictly in preparation for her upcoming show.
  3. llm85

llm85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +544
    Thanks. I plan to, for multiple reasons (health, looks, and to prove my brother-in-law wrong, who said I couldn't do it on my own :wink:).

Absolutely; and until I started learning about what I was eating (with the help of the app) I had no idea. For example, there is a national sandwich shop that offers sandwiches on bread or wrapped in lettuce. The bread alone adds hundreds of calories and carbs. Six months ago I wouldn't have given that a second thought.
  4. burheelwilles

burheelwilles New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Sounds good that you are going for a workout(Gym) and make sure that you continue it :)
    but just try to avoid some fatty foods, like sweets, snacks, burger and all it would help you to reduce weight plus if possible try to take a glass of warm water with a tablespoon of honey on it that to early in the morning without having breakfast,, I'd tried it, and believe me it has a drastic affect on reducing weight.
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,546
    Let me guess what kind of honey you recommend: Manuka honey??!

(cool spam)
  6. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +388
    I've been getting the unwraps myself lately. Not as satisfying, but def helps lower the calories.
  7. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +782
    Been using MFP for five months. (see the apps thread) I was already in excellent shape, but that app really fine tuned my calorie intake. I've lost eight or nine pounds in the first two months and kept it off.
  8. altalias

altalias Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +262
    MFP is great. On June 30th I learned at a check-up that I weighed 214. Since I am 5'11" that is one pound from obese. Outside of a1-2 mile nightly walk with my dogs I do not work out at all. Last Thursday I weighed 183. My goal is to not be overweight (less than 178) by my 55th birthday on November 5th. I believe I will make it. I learned about MFP here. I am not sure who to thank so thank you every one who promotes MFP here.
  9. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +783
    I guess I am old school, back in June I hit 306, biggest I have ever been. Got pissed, started lifting heavy again (worked my way back up), I am now stronger now than I was in college (I just turned 46). I also started running again, between 5-6 miles every day, I just did my first 5k ever two weeks ago and finished 91st out of 287, I really didn't even train, I am training now for another one in 3 months, I want to place in the top 3 at the next one, I ran a 29:29 and I need to get it down to sub 23 to place in my age group. By the way as of today I have lost 56 lbs. Yea for me, my ultimate goal is to get my body fat under 10%..
    • Like Like x 1
  10. kalaniocc

kalaniocc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +713
    it's mostly about a consistent diet if you want to lose weight/fat. once i clean up the diet, i lean up really fast. i'm 193 lbs and 5'10" - i was 219lbs a couple months ago. in florida i was anywhere between 175-185 lbs. diet diet diet
  11. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +783
    I have now lost 66lbs total since last July mainly from lifting heavy and running. The running works for me. my BMI says I am obese yet my body fat says I am at 14.5%....lol.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. llm85

llm85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +544
    Congrats!!! I've lost 50 over the same period. I've been biking in the morning, 8-10 miles; I like it because it takes less time to burn the same number of calories than running does.