Looking for weight loss / workout advice

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by 108, Mar 29, 2013.

1. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,248
    Im recently 35, 5'11, generally a vegetarian due to upbringing, and for the last few months, have been fluctuating between 178-182....I had been between 175-178 before that for a while

A few weeks ago, I used an online BMI calculator, and it says I am at the cusp of being overweight. I tend to gain it in the mid section, armpit area, and the one that bothers me most, my chin.

I started exercising more, outside jogging, joined a gym and been doing some strength training 3 days a week (a quick overall body workout to try to get more lean and cut), and eating healthier and doing portion control, but I am not losing weight...

My strength has improved, which could be the reason for not showing weight loss on the scale, but i still have the fat areas..

Any tips and advice for weight and physique would be welcome.....my goal is to get down to the low 170's, and get a more cut physique, not interested in bulk...but even if I don't lose weight, I am enjoying being more active....

It must be stated, that I will never be a workout warrior, as its not something I truly enjoy and can get unmotivated if it requires too much, so suggestions should keep that in mind. Efficiency is key.

Thanks
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Hey 108, first of all I think you are doing things right to begin with. Secondly, do not worry too much about BMI, I am actually overweight by BMI but my body fat% is 12.5 as of last week.

As for advice, I would recommend not looking at the scale so much before anything else. Get a tape measure and do some measurements then test them every 2-4 weeks to track your progress.

Keep strength training 3 days a week, just make sure you are using challenging weights and not wasting time on unnecessary movements. You could honestly get good progress out of showing up and doing 3-4 heavy lifts 3x/wk. Heavy obviously being relative to your strength level.

If you want any more specific advice feel free to PM me.
  3. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,248
    thanks for your suggestions, why the heavy versus lighter reps?
  4. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    In the most simple way because strength training is meant to increase strength and you can only do that by lifting heavier. It is also a more efficient use of your time and will improve your overall fitness level and aesthetics.

There is a place for lifting lighter weights tons of times if your goal is to use weights for hypertrophy or as cardio. Either reason is fine though it doesnt sound like you are trying to spend an hour in the gym doing a bodybuilders routine and you are already jogging so you dont need to lift light weights fast for more cardio.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Itssaul

Itssaul VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    It's 90% diet
  6. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +892
    I typically told my clients 100% eating. This would account for the likelihood of no net calorie burn through exercise strategy alone. Consider it a divide and conquer approach. I'd simply tell them to reduce calories consumed, train for strength and walk for health and stress-reduction.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    A couple of additional suggestions:

First. Try and reorder your priorities. Make "enjoying being more active" priority number 1 (well, higher priority than scale weight/BMI at any rate). IMO, things with lower "importance" should support the ones with higher importance. So the extra strength, endurance, scale weight, and the way you feel about how you look should be supporting roles to enjoying the ability to be more active.. which leads to:

Second. Don't get wrapped around the axle about one or two measurements/numbers. If you are seeing results in other areas, such as: clothes fitting differently, noticing changes in the mirror, you are moving more efficiently, and your higher priority is being satisfied. Then something is going in the right direction.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    You say you made the changes you talk about in your post "a few weeks ago". Keep doing the things you have been doing and expect to start seeing results after 6 months. The hardest fat to remove is that that's around your waist. Running, cardio, healthy eating are the key. You are on the right track.
  9. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +822
    I hear a more conservative disposition also helps.:ninja:

Good luck 108. Looks like we're in this together my 2/3 size little buddy.:grin:
  10. jms

jms Member

Ratings Received:
    +60
    I ride my bike 6+ miles 5-6 times a week average 12.5 mph no stops. I'm 56 and 50+ #'s Legs don't recover if I do more then 6+. Not losing. Sux! My doc says u can't exercise it off. It's the diet. I love to eat but mostly drink
  11. nelson111

nelson111 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    My sister was a fat girl; few months before then someone suggest him to drink coffee twice a day. She used it three months regularly and lost 5 pond. Now she is very slim and smart. Coffee is really good to lose weight. It really works.
  12. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +277
    I am a pe coach (best job in the world by the way). I was getting heavy and didn't lime it so I dropped all sodas, sweet teas, energy drinks...etc.... I made drinking a gallon of water my goal each day. (Keep in mind I run with my students and play three hrs of basketball each day as well.) The gallon of water has made a huge difference in how I how I feel when I get home and the lack of sugar drinks has made ahuge difference around my waist.
  13. lwg8tr

lwg8tr Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    Chronic cardio, will keep you fat...case in point here. Best plan I have found and my GF (who was resistant at first and did Pilates, ate low fat, watched her calories and still was stuck at her 30lbs+ over goal weight.) is the Paleo Diet. Go to MarksDailyApple.com and read up on the plan. Its workable and is a real lifestyle change. Its based on eating more in line with our biochemistry and solid science behind it. I have been doing it for 3 months now and I am never hungry, my blood chemistry is excellent and I have the energy of a 25 year old. Its low carbohydrate, because despite carb defenders angry resistance you do not need carbohydrates in the quantities most diets suggest you eat. Excess carbohydrates cause an insulin response which cause metabolic syndrome, which cause you do go into a cycle of craving carbs like grains, sugars, potatoes and the insulin response causes your body to store fat. My GF was so skeptical, she was doing Crossfit, eating her whole wheat bagel and fat free cream cheese and plain baked potatoes and was very frustrated. She saw my results, what I ate..the salads, grass fed beef , fish, , chicken, butter, nuts ,veggies of all kinds all with a smattering fruit and thought she would try it and well she has a body now most 21 year olds would die for and she is 45. I have tried them all and paleo was the only thing long term that works. Also the plan takes a common sense approach to exercise, once again based on science and our genetic predispositions. A couple of short , intense full body strength training workouts, a sprint session(HIIT) once about every 10 days and just do what is fun…walks, martial arts, swim. I have really leaned out and have definition in my arms. Give it an honest try for 21 days and once you get over your carb flu (sign you are addicted) your energy will go through the roof and the weight will start coming off.
  14. Lutz

Lutz Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    42 yrs old...I have been going to the gym for past two months, about 3 times a week. I started off doing 1/2 hr treadmill then 1/2 hr weights. For the past month, each gym session has been 1 full hr on the treadmill with the incline jacked up to 7% while walking at a brisk pace, then 1/2 hr weights. Keep in mind this is three days per week. During the past two months of going to the gym I have gone from 187 lbs to 181 lbs.

I feel disappointed with these results as I feel I should have more weight loss. My calorie intake has reduced during this time frame as well. Is losing 6 lbs about right? Should it be more? Am I doing something wrong?
  15. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Dude, 7 pounds is great results. I dont know what you were expecting but you are losing around a pound a week which is a nice and reasonable amount to be losing. Some weeks you may lose more or less but its still progress. Remember whatever measures you take to lose the weight you will have to continue in order to maintain the weight loss. Keep at it, be patient and be consistent.
  16. Lutz

Lutz Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Went from 187 to 181 really fast, however, been stuck at 181 for past two weeks even though my workouts have been more intense. I find going to the gym enjoyable so I'll keep at it. Appreciate the input.
  17. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Google lyle McDonald's article on stalls and whooshes. He goes over how we dont necessarily lose weight in a linear way. Just keep at it and if you are enjoying yourself then you are doing it right. The process shouldn't be a bad one.
  18. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    Keep in mind that stalls in weight loss can also be attributed to your new energy requirements. In other words your former requirements were 3000 and you ate 2500 and lost at a pace of 1lb every 7 days. Well now your requirements are 2500 (due to less mass) and so you're not losing at all.

It's good to recalculate your BMR every month or so.
  19. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Just my opinion... but swinging BMR by 500 calories requires significant change... so significant that doing so in a month is pretty much impossible.

Just going off the formula itself (which I find to be in error anyway and should only be used to get an idea of the ballpark), I would have to drop like 80 lb to swing my BMR 500 calories.

Per the Harris-Bennidict formula for BMR, a male requires roughly 6 calories per pound of weight and 13 calories per inch of height.

IMO, weight stalls are more attributed to underestimating how much you eat, overestimating how much you do, or throwing something out of balance that you don't deem is important but really is.

For example, salt has ZERO calories but can GREATLY affect your scale weight and waist size.
  20. malligator

malligator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288
    You can't out-train a bad diet. Going to the gym for an hour a few days a week is AWESOME...for your health. Not so much for weight loss. If you aren't watching your caloric intake you'll never lose weight. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, not the gym.

That is, of course, unless you're a very accomplished athlete (i.e., pro or olympic level) training HARD daily for a specific sport.

If you want to see what your weight is really doing setup a spreadsheet and record your weight every morning at the same time. Then graph a 20-day moving average of your daily weights to see the trend minus noise. If it's flat then you've stalled. If it's moving down slowly (.1 to .2 lbs per day) you're losing weight healthily.

My weight can swing 3 or 4 pounds day-to-day, but the trend line goes down little by little. When I want to maintain I just make sure it stays flat.