Look on the bright side.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by flwgator2, Sep 7, 2013.

1. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +633
    No, they do not have bragging rights unless they follow up the win with a NC, like we did in 2008. Never forget, scUM was a stepping stone to a national title. I don't see this Miami team even sniffing a BCS bowl. The Gators beat the Gators yesterday.
  2. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +166
    They have offenses but where do you get defenses from? UGa has now allowed what, something like 75 points in two games? USC allowed Murray to throw for almost 300 yards for 4 TDs yesterday and gave up 41 points. They did hold UNC to 10 but that was UNC.
  3. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    By the way, Texas also on the road to a respectable unranked team. Checking their stats, they allowed 670 yards to their opponent. I'd say that they need to worry a bit more than we do.
  4. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +633
    Hey, at least both UGA and SC have a loss as well...we can still win the East...maybe...I'm thinking 8-4, though.
  5. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,082
    Goodness. Remove ONE play per game and Zook goes 10-3 in 2002, 11-2 in 2003 and 10-2 in 2004...

Like baseball, football is a game of inches. Mistakes and turnovers are a part of the game. They are maddening, but Florida also won a lot of games due to meltdowns by the opposition. Last year, LSU had three turnovers in a 14-6 loss to us. Florida had a 21-6 lead over USCe with these drives.

Drive 1: 2 yards
    Drive 2: -7 yards
    Drive 3: -5 yards
    Drive 4: -12 yards
    Drive 5: 6 yards
    Drive 6: 29 yards
    Drive 7: 1 yard
    Drive 8: 0 yards

Total: 14 yards of total offense

Missou lost to us by seven points due to four interceptions! La-Lafayette lost to us due to a blocked punt returned for a TD. The freaking Noles lost to us by 11 with five turnovers.

Did all of that occur because our defense forced them, or because they gave the game away? Usually, it is a combination of the two...
  6. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    I hear Bye has a tough defense and will probably hold us under 30.
  7. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    I'm actually legitimately worried about Tennessee lol haven't said that in a while
  8. urbangirl

urbangirl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +311
    Uh, that would be the Chick-Fil-A Bowl. 2004 was the last year it was the Peach Bowl....lost to Miami as well. That was a lot of fun, too.
  9. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    I really hope Miami does not have self imposed sanctions this year. Maybe we can re match in the end of the year.
  10. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +971
    Pretty sure none of you thought we had a shot to play for a national title in '08 after our loss to ole miss. Or even a shot to play for the SEC after our loss to Auburn in '06.

Miami won their first National Title after getting annihilated by us 28-3.

How many fluke games did Tennessee win in 98? Or Ohio State in 2003 to eventually win a national title? I'm sure there's plenty of other examples that just aren't coming to mind right now.

Look, I'm not making a prediction that we'll win an MNC this year, or win the SEC, or even get to Atlanta, but I'm not giving up on this team either. other teams have lost worse and still won big in the end.
  11. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +971
    Now if Miami had physically dominated us on both sides of the ball, then yes, I would be concerned. But we moved the ball well, we pretty much shut them down. The talent and game plan is obviously there, we just need to change something in the redzone.

I know a few on here said "Miami just played bend but don't break". I call nonsense on that. This isn't exclusive to Miami. This has happened against many teams over the course of this year and last year, including last week against Toledo. There definitely IS something wrong with our gameplan in the redzone, it's something the coaches need to figure out, and hopefully this game will help get that kickstarted.
  12. urbangirl

urbangirl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +311
    We seem to get everyone's "A Game" or "this is their Super Bowl/BCS bowl game". I for one would like for us to play our "A Game" (do we have one?) and play like it is our Super Bowl/BCS bowl.