"Look for No. 91 to make a lot of plays in the fall.”

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by theghost, Aug 14, 2014.

1. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,425
    This is great news. The DT rotation could end up a team strength. Need the DE's to start making noise now (especially Cox).

Taylor talking up DT Joey Ivie:

“He’s been playing very well,” senior linebacker Michael Taylor said. “He’s been busting his butt. He’s been going hard every day. He’s been making a lot of plays.

“We had our first scrimmage (Sunday) and he was player of the game. That just speaks volumes of how far he’s come since he got here. He’s been playing really well. So, look for No. 91 to make a lot of plays in the fall.”

In anticipation of making the move, Ivie added almost 15 pounds of muscle over the summer and now weighs 288 pounds.

“It’s just more power,” Ivie said. “I haven’t really slowed down much. I’ve kept my speed. That weight has helped me power-wise.”

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20140813/ARTICLES/140819788?p=2&tc=pg
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
  2. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    Hope that motor of his rubs off on Bostwick and Brantley. If so, we have the making of a great defensive line and Bullard can stay at end
    • Like Like x 2
  3. domgator

domgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    Dade City baby!!!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +180
    Bostwick has been said to be a beast drawing praise from coaches and players.

Brantley has come on over the last couple of practices. The possibility of being bumped to 3rd string by Ivie appears to be a motivator.

Reports are Khairi Clark is doing well too.

We are probably looking at 3 deep at NT and DT not counting Thomas Holley who is a likely redshirt after having minor surgery or Jonathan Bullard.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,139
    Love having this much talent and versatility. When our defense was at its best, we were rotating five to six DTs freely with no drop-off in production. Very glad to hear that Brantley has stepped up. He's our only other true NT. I expected Bostwick to make his move this year but Clark is a pleasant surprise. I've already posted on Ivie. I can see him being the change of pace guy. Bostwick and Clark are both big, physical gap filling, pocket crushing types. I can see Ivie beating his man, making penetration and chasing QBs down, or into the hands of another defender. I can also see him help string running plays out till there's nowhere to run but out of bounds.

We need to redshirt Holley because the 2015 DT class looks like it's going to be a bust. Hopefully Ivie's little bro' will grow as much as Joey did.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ETGator1

Ratings Received:
    +180
    Andrew Ivie is listed at 6'3"/285 on Rivals. If accurate, that's good for a rising senior playing the DT position.

Andrew Ivie 3 stars
    DT
    Dade City, FLPasco
    6'3"

I hope we're not done, a bust, at DT. We need one or two more to replace our graduating seniors. We're also likely to lose hybrid SDE/DT Jonathan Bullard to the NFL if his draft stock is high enough for the move to make sense.

If we can't get a top high schooler, an early enrollee JUCO DT makes sense to me.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    wm is a no nonsense HBC and if Ivie, Bostwick and Cark are out-working Brantley, they'll all play ahead of him. Clark may be a freshman but he played good opposition in HS, worked very hard to get in the best shape of his life and has surprised the staff with his quick first step. I think all three of the worker bees will see playing time before Brantley. All the above is from what I've read - not seen.
  8. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,857
    Not if we can flip the monster DT daylon mack
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,203
    We've got the talent there, it's just a matter of development and knowing the system IMO.
  10. ETGator1

Ratings Received:
    +180
    From Robbie Andreu at the Gainesville Sun:

"TRUE FRESHMAN SPOTLIGHT: It’s tough for defensive tackles to play as true freshmen in the SEC, but Khairi Clark is making a strong push to do just that. He’s gotten plenty of reps in practice and seems to be holding his own. The Gators are looking to add depth at defensive tackle, and Clark has a chance to help."

More confirmation that a true freshman will likely be in the 3 deep at DT. After holding Jay-nard Bostwick out last year when he was pronounced ready to play prior to LSU and as the season was turned to rubble by injuries and opponents running the ball down the Gators throat, it's nice to see that Will Muschamp isn't going to let that happen again. If they can play, let them play.
  11. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,455
    Yeah, so like he said. :)
  12. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +615
    Lawing is reportedly doing a great job with this group. Our defensive staff has a reputation for its ability to recruit, but they develop talent as well as anybody in the country. Lawing does a great job of teaching linemen how to use their hands, and you saw what he did with Clowney up at Carolina; there also was an obvious difference in Easley's play before he got hurt, compared to his first couple of seasons on campus. He (Lawing) likes to replace the defensive tackles with a pair of ends on obvious passing situations (i.e. second and third and long) to get a little more athleticism on the field, so I would imagine we'll be seeing a lot of both Ivie and Bullard inside on third down. That's not going to stop. And that obviously flows with how Durkin chooses to do things.

They want to be able to rotate between 8-10 up front. Right now, I'd say Fowler, Bullard, Cummings, Orr and Ivie are reliable options they trust on the field to compete at the SEC level. The key will be finding at least three or four more from that second group of younger players to be consistent and good enough to factor into the rotation. Guys are gonna get dinged up, and miss a game here and there. We'd be in great shape if all the younger linemen had a motor like Ivie.
  13. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,534
    It's promising that we're building so much depth on the DL. Having a solid rotation at those positions alone can easily mean 2-3 wins by itself.
  14. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,722
    Defense wins championships! :)
    • Like Like x 2
  15. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,425
    Agreed....because we are going to lose (probably) 3 of the 4 starters...and possibly all 4. Having those 4 young DTs (Ivie, B & B, and Clark) play significant minutes will pay huge dividends at DT. We need the younger DE's to get some solid snaps this year; I expect Cox & Willis to get a lot of PT....and I'd like to see Bryan become reliable w/ McCalister continuing to develop. Then there's Holley....and anyone added this off season. I'd gladly take another JUCO DL (DT or DE, doesn't matter) just for reliable depth. Can't have enough DL's (or OL's!)...
  16. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,139
    That's good to see. 247 has him at 260, which would have been fine but 285 now means he will be a natural DT the moment he gets to Gainesville.

I'm looking forward to hearing how he plays this season. He's not rated very highly and might not ever attract enough attention to move up to four stars, but like his brother, the eyes of the Gators will be on him. Our resident experts in that area will see him play and see if he shows the kind of skills his brother did as a senior.
  17. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,139
    I don't know how specific the DT roles are under Lawing, but Brantley is a one-technique and as well as those other guys are playing, they're all better suited to play three-technique. He's the #2 NT by default unless Cummings slides over when Orr sits. Clark has a nice frame for the position but I don't know if a freshman is going to be strong enough to stand his ground in the middle against SEC OL. If he's got a good first step, he should be playing where he can use it, at the three-technique.
  18. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,857
    His coach says the younger Ivie is much further along and a better player than the older ivie at that point in their HS careers.