Long Distance Relationships

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by Wuerffel5220, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Wuerffel5220

Wuerffel5220 GC Hall of Famer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,518 / 33 / -11
    Anyone had one that worked? In one know with a girl I met in New Orleans but who lives in Dallas. A little unusual because we weren't serious before the time apart. But we got really intense over first month of visiting and talking everyday. Last few days have been real rough though.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh BS Jm, UF Class of '69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,432 / 11 / -4
    I never did a truly long distance relationship but have had a relationship that was together time on weekends only for years, we are 2 professionals with established careers, we made it work and as time and technology changed we have made it work very well, now we spend nearly everyday together thank to the telecommuting option I have with my job.
  3. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 11 / -0
    I met a girl at work and we started dating. 6 months later she moved 5 hours away for grad school. 6 months after that we were engaged and then 6 months after grad school ended we were married. Still together now with 2 kids and about to hit 5 years of marriage.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. g8trdoc

g8trdoc Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +130 / 16 / -18
    It worked well for me for four years. We have been married 7 since. Like any relationship if something as trivial as distance is a problem it's not meant to be anyway.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. kurt_borglum

kurt_borglum VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +590 / 6 / -0
    I know of a friend who did Orlando - Tallahassee who is now married, my daughter has had a 2 hr away relationship for 4 yrs now.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +472 / 18 / -9
    I met a girl through a friend in Atlanta during an SEC champ game while I was living in Tallahassee. We dated for 8 months. It was all partying and vacations. It was a great relationship, but it wasn't real everyday life. When it came down to a commitment to her moving down to where I lived I realized I didn't really know her well enough for that. I bailed on that idea. She bailed on me. Worked out for the best for me!

If a couple dates a good period before they move, I suppose it works quite often.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,147 / 44 / -9
    • Like Like x 1
  8. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +720 / 1 / -1
    My wife of 18 years was considering grad school out west and I told her I loved her but wouldnt do a long distance relationship.

She didnt and we never looked back and she laughs about how serious I was about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Wuerffel5220

Ratings Received:
    +2,518 / 33 / -11
    Appreciate the responses
    • Like Like x 1
  10. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +493 / 8 / -2
    I haven't had one that lasted long. I did have one that when I graduated UF and I moved to Clearwater, my gf was still in Gainesville and I would go up on the weekends. It got old fast, I guess she wasn't my "soul mate." lol
    • Like Like x 2
  11. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +560 / 12 / -5
    I lived in Gainesville while my fiancée was back in Limeyland. Does that count? ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. phatGator

phatGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +239 / 4 / -1
    I lived in Limeyland the year after high school. My girl friend in the USA wrote every week until she agreed to go on a blind date. It was weeks before I heard from her again. It was over.

As one of my high school teachers loved to say: "Absence makes the heart grow fonder...of someone else."
  13. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +167 / 4 / -5
    I dated a woman in Tampa for a year when I lived in Palm Beach. Then I moved up north for a year to take a position I wanted very much. That was 2 years apart. One day I received a telegram from her asking if I would marry her. I moved back to Florida and we have been married for 27 years. We are both quite independent, managed our own careers and monies, traveled together and independently when it was inconvenient for the other and may be the happiest ever as, now, we can do what we wish together.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Wuerffel5220

Ratings Received:
    +2,518 / 33 / -11
    Well haven't heard back from her in two days (we had been talking multiple times a day without fail). Normally wouldn't bother me, but something is not right. Already have plane tickets and plans to visit her on the 21st of this month. Hope we make it to that point for the fun stuff.
  15. kalaniocc

kalaniocc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +720 / 1 / -0
    they can work. i met a girl from utah in 2005 while i was at uf.. fast forward to today and here i am in utah, owning a house with her. it was a pretty difficult journey with a lot of ups and downs (and a lot of $ on plane tickets) - but if it's meant to be it will find a way.

hopefully you hear from her soon- just stay cool.
  16. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +379 / 11 / -5
    0-2 back in my college days. Pretty much wasted my Jr yr. My son was much smarter, broke up with his gf of 2 yrs the first week of school. Good luck. Probably a better chance of success when youre older.
  17. phatGator

phatGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +239 / 4 / -1
    There's a great line from a Van Morrison song: "If you didn't hear from me, it just means I didn't call." It might be nothing more than that -- she just got busy. Be careful not to assume the worst because your mindset towards her will change.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Wuerffel5220

Ratings Received:
    +2,518 / 33 / -11
    I got in touch with her. Didn't bring up the ignored messages at all. The lack of response was more worrysome bc it was unusual and with rocky week. Back to neutral right now, rather it be great, but i'll take neutral for now. Going to visit on the 21st, gonna try and keep it light for the next couple of weeks and gonna have a real conversation of future at the end of the trip.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +170 / 20 / -5
    I disagree. There is are very few reasons for not calling back in a timely manner. Especially when you are starting out a relationship and especially when its long distance and you aren't able to see each other often. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it the first time, but if it becomes a pattern, then I think you need to address it.

I have been in a bunch and they are tough. A lot of it depends on your lifestyle back home and your dating life as well.

I believe that not everyone we meet has to be someone we want to marry. You met a girl. You like her. You want to see her again. You do.

I think that is the approach you need to take. If the first visit goes well, then make plans for a second.

Long Distance Relationship sex is some of the best out there!

Good Luck!
  20. Wuerffel5220

Ratings Received:
    +2,518 / 33 / -11
    Looks like it's over. She said things were getting too serious and can't handle that right now. Also met another guy locally and there's a spark.

As I mentioned the trip is already set and the physical side was incredible, so hopefully I can still visit and have us a good time, instead of that's it.