Lone Survivor

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by StrangeGator, Jan 4, 2014.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,053
    He was not my friend. He was the husband of a very close friend. I never got a chance to meet him. Nor was he a SEAL. He was the CO of the Nightstalker team that dropped them and then attempted to extract them. I knew a few SEALS while I was still living in Panama City. There was some advanced diving work being done there. All I knew about them was that if two or more of them entered a bar together, you left. They were assholes. My brother's experience with them was different. He trained extensively with them down in Key West, but never partied with them. He has not had a drink since he got back from Panama. He only knew them when they were sober and doing what SEALS were trained to do.

I'm not one of those special ops worshipping types. I have a lot of respect for Army Special Forces because I know what they go through to earn that beret and I understand the significant intellectual qualifications and know about the humanitarian side of their mission. I don't believe that "humanitarian" or "intellectual" applies to anything the SEALS do. They are not linguists, don't serve a significant role in intelligence, nor do they shape foreign policy based on the contacts they have with indigenous populations. No question they are brave, but I'm not sure they deserve the adoration our culture heaps on them.
  2. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +908
    p0lar vortex be damned get ready for the gatorcountry shitstorm of 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,024
    wow- really enjoyed the move
    yet found it gut wrenching at times
    they fought valiantly to the end
    also shows why fighting in Afghanistan is such a hard war to wage
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Strikepackagegator

Strikepackagegator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,293
    While I share your view in questioning do "they deserve the adoration our culture heaps on them", the majority of SEALS I know (about a dozen or so) are quiet professionals. There are a bunch of patriotic and heroic folks that do the hard work everyday. The Sailor who deploys for months and years at a time, the Marine who sleeps in a tent in harsh enviorments, the Army infrantry man in South Korea keeping the hostiles up north at bay, the Air Force Airman in Bagram working long hours. SEALS are the flavor of the week for Hollywood at the present. While it is true a minority of them (mostly the younger ones) are loud, vocal and will let a whole bar know what they do, they are the exception - not the norm. I am in Naval Aviation and the only "community" more pompous and arrogant than a Fighter Pilot, is a US NAVY SEAL.

Quick joke: how do you know when a Fighter Pilot is at a party? He'll tell you! Same can be said with the new generation of SEALS...... The operators I know will make up some BS job rather than tell folks what he does. They are the quiet professionals that do the dirty work and want no recognition nor praise. They do it because it is who they are.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,502
    Leave your guns and your cell phones at home if you go to see this movie.
  6. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,024
    I had both 833
  7. grayg8rstevo

grayg8rstevo Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,748
    I just saw the movie and it is terrific. It tells the story. Like all movies , it compresses time. I think it took LUTTRELL 12 hours to get down the mountain. I saw no flag waving or pontificating.
  8. FrankGator627

FrankGator627 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +737
    I'll leave political comments aside.

I thought the movie was good. It was entertaining and that's all I care about.

*Spoiler alert*

I really just found the whole story to not be heroic at all.they screwed up big time and got a lot of people killed...and that's to be celebrated? I thought the story would be a lot different because my cousin's husband is a SEAL team member and he raved about the book. Idk. I just don't see anything to marvel or celebrate about. For example, they decide to cut the herders loose knowing they would alert the Taliban. Ok. Fine. Why try didn't tie them up and make the walk down the mountain I don't know.

Anyway, regardless, they then go to the top of the mountain and...wait. Wtf? You have no communication ability and a Taliban "army" coming for you and you...wait. All that training, running and endurance and mental toughness training so that you can sit and "rest"?

Why didn't they take off as fast as they could back down the route they took to get in and eventually make communication while at "Corona" or "Miller"?

That drives me nuts to think about now. What was the point of showing the two guys have a race around the base of they didn't run in the field?
  9. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +716
    They had to cut the herders lose per world wide law to not kill civilians. Tying them up may have been a possibility but they can't leave them tied up on the mountain and if they let them walk down it tied up what does that solve? Cover is still blown.

They went to the top of the mountain because a) they are trying to get to the highest vantage point for the advantage in a fire fight and b) they didn't realize they would be so outnumbered.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. grayg8rstevo

grayg8rstevo Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,748
    My opinions are irrelevant but, I thought they moved to the top of the mountain to get better reception and call for extraction. As they moved up, they were surprised that there were enemy fighters already above them. Since, moving upwards in elevations is a very time consuming endeavor, I assumed that one of the released civilians contacted a force that was already in position there. They were just alerted to the team's existence.

I have not read the book, but will. Very moving film. Very accurately portrayed, limited by the usual time constraints of film story telling. I did not feel that it glorified war at all. It showed the extreme brutality of war and the incredible dedication and honor of our fighting forces in this
    engagement AND the honor of the AFGHAN community that protected LUTTRELL until his extraction. LUTTRELL himself said that was important to emphasize in the film. They did. Job well done. Well worth seeing. Obviously, not for youngsters.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. FrankGator627

Ratings Received:
    +737
    Leaving their hands tied and/or tied together would make them walk much slower going down the mountain, which would give them more time to move before anyone knew they were there.

I read online that what happened in real time is try released the civilians and regretted it. However, they didn't leave the area. They went to a different vantage point to watch the village and TWO HOURS later they were "ambushed" while watching the village.

So, I stand by my point that had a group of four navy seals started hiking it back to a rendezvous point that they would've found a better comm point AND been two hours ahead of any Taliban group. They tried to stick to the mission and it cost them.
  12. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814
    Book goes into great detail of the potential consequences of hurting civilians. The ROE are so strict they worried civilian causalities would be all over CNN and they might be tried as war criminoles. The book is an attack on ROE that put our men in unnecessary danger for PR purposes.

Lot's of stuff in the movie are exaggerated.

Number of the enemy and the ending are the biggest. Lutrell did not almost have his head cut off. There was no final battle. Lutrell was found because of a beacon signal.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. quebec287

quebec287 Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    As a former Marine I worked very closely with a lot of Seals . I can tell you that they are as tough as they come and thank God they are on our side….
    • Like Like x 1
  14. FrankGator627

Ratings Received:
    +737
    The more I read up the more I feel that this whole story is fiction loosely based on fact.

The book doesn't even get the operation name correct. It was Operation Red Wings, not Operation Redwing. They were naming missions after US sports teams so this seems pretty easy to not screw up.

It was more like 10 members ambushing them initially with some rogue insurgents joining later.

Lutrell served and he has my respect but this whole story seems to be a chance to profit.
  15. jdiggy03

jdiggy03 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    I went to high school with a man that died in this mission...he was a seal and a true hero....if you believe this was all made for profit ....i would like to share a quote this seals mom posted on facebook after waatching the movie........she thanked all involved in making this movie by saying "thank you for bringing my son back for a couple hours".....we went to trinity catholic high school in stamford connecticut, his name IS Brian Bill and he was a better man than me.
  16. Strikepackagegator

Strikepackagegator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,293
    Went to see it last night with the wife and I thought it to be well done. When the movie ended, dead silence.
  17. FrankGator627

Ratings Received:
    +737
    There's no debate it happened and a lot of people died. However, I believe it has been over exaggerated to make it this amazing story to profit. Lutrell is now estimated to have a total worth in the 10 million range due to movies and speaking engagements.

How many other soldiers that were ambushed by Taliban or other terrorists around the world are worth that?

Is he splitting his money with all the other people that died in the mission families? I'd change my opinion if he was but I haven't heard that.
  18. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +908
    not personally my cup of tea, but why can't he get rich of fighting? The military industrial complex has been getting rich off war since there has been war. if anyone deserves it more it's the one's actually being shot at.