Lone Survivor

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by StrangeGator, Jan 4, 2014.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +763
    Based on real events during "Operation Red Wing" in Afghanistan, this film goes into wide release next Friday. I'll be interested in hearing people's thoughts on this film. I'll have to sit this one out. A close friend of mine lost her husband in this operation, just two or three weeks after their wedding. He is only known as "Chinook Pilot 1" in the film, but his death along with his entire crew is portrayed in the film. He was the CO of the Nightstalker team that inserted, then tried to retrieve the surviving members of the SEAL team after they came under fire. The Chinook was taken out by a Stinger missile fired by the Taliban, probably supplied by the US during the Reagan administration.

Peter Berg directs, not exactly A-list but a very capable action director. Mark Wahlberg plays the lead. He seems perfectly cast. Eric Bana and Emile Hirsch were the only other cast members I was familiar with. They both seem well cast as they are both very capable stunt actors and look the part of military bad asses.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,920
    I'll be interested in seeing it. Thanks for sharing your personal connection to it as I will watch it with a somewhat different perspective. Unfortunately, I will not see it until it comes out on dvd or is available through streaming as my wife and I do not go to the movie theater, not out of any protest of costs or financial issues, but she's just not a that into it. :(

As for Peter Berg, I think he's immensely talented. Don't know if he's an A lister or not (and don't actually worry about such things) but he's got a pretty impressive body of work having acted, directed, produced and written.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Strange if you havent read the book, it is a good read. Your friends husband and one of my best friends were teammates as my bud has been with the teams for about 20 years now. He was actually visiting home while rehabbing an injury to his back when he got a call informing him of the teammates lost in the chopper. Needless to say he was very upset.

I look forward to the movie.
  4. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +341
    Surprised you aren't familiar with Ben Foster. He has been making a name for himself playing widely varying roles. Hasn't really hit the big time but he is one of those who truly gets lost in his character. The other main is Taylor Kitsch who studios have been trying to make a star out of unsuccessfully since he starred on the TV version of Friday Night Lights. Which makes sense given the Berg connection.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +709
    I really enjoyed Foster in 3:10 to Yuma.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. urgatorbaitII

urgatorbaitII Guest

Ratings Received:
    +619
    Really interested in seeing this movie. I read the book and am now reading another book by Luttrell called "Service".
  7. Strikepackagegator

Strikepackagegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,243
    I am wanting to see this movie but with guarded expectations. I have a co worker who is a SEAL and he tells me they took some liberties in telling the story. Hope they respect the sacrifice the Army and Naval Special Warfare communities made during that op.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,920
    Unfortunately or fortunately, movies do this. Just hope the liberties they take still stay close to the underlying truth.
  9. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +763
    Saw the photo of Foster and he is definitely familiar. I think I've seen him play Ops types before. My daughter told me about Kitcsch. She was a big fan of FNL. I'm not as good at following actors as I am with directors, producers and screen writers. Not unless they knock me out with a singular performance. I have honestly never gone to see a film to see a particular actor. I often get irritated when someone says, "Have you seen the new (actors name here) film?" because actors don't make movies. Directors do. If there is a particularly talented actor working with one of my favorite directors, especially if they have a history together, I get excited. That's the only thing about American Hustle that interests me. Cooper, Adams and Bale have all done excellent work with David O. Russell. He's the biggest A-hole in Hollywood, but he is at the top of his game right now.

Back to actors, I really liked Peter Berg when he was an actor. I remember some particularly powerful scenes with him on Chicago Hope. I guess directing is more financially and creatively rewarding, but Battleship and Lone Survivor are putting him on a trajectory that he might not be able to reverse and the Tomato Meter has not been kind to him to date.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,659
    there was a good 60 minutes piece on this incident not too long ago. the locals who took in the survivor and helped him get to safety did so at great risk to their family and home and stood against the Taliban when they came to get him.
  11. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    It is a good movie. Definitely worth watching. It tells you at the end about the locals. Pretty cool and brave of them to do so.
  12. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +763
    From what I read, the liberties taken were more in the patriotic, "jingoistic" vein. My brother is a former member of the Special Forces. He's going to see this in the coming weeks. I'll be interested in his take on it. He's very familiar with the incident since he worked closely with the Night Stalkers during his time with the 5th SF at Fort Campbell.
    Chinook Pilot #1 (I don't want to use his real name) was a fellow West Point alum.

FYI, this young man was a member of the Gator family by marriage. His widow and both of her parents are UF alum and big time Gator supporters.
  13. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +486
    Great story about our true hero's. Wish someone other than Wahlberg was in it however.

Heard Travis McGriff on the radio talking about getting beat up along with a second stunt double for Mark during the filming of the football movie.

Only to hear Mark say on a late night show say he had done all the stunts himself.
  14. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Wahlberg has gotten much better. He did good in pain & gain and I really enjoyed 2 guns.
  15. grayg8rstevo

grayg8rstevo Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,153
    LUTTRELL had some control on the production or the way they portrayed things. That is what I heard. It is a true story. You indicate that your friend was killed and you know SEALS. I would never dispute anything you say. I do not know you nor you me. So, I will talk about me...just for a second..
    Hypothetically speaking about me...if I was connected to SEALS( I do know two) and admired them, the last word I would ever use is JINGOISTIC. PATRIOTIC is a word I would have used.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. g8r925

g8r925 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +389
    watched the movie over the weekend and it brought back some tough memories, but it reminds us all what these young men do to protect our freedoms. Very emotional.
  17. grayg8rstevo

grayg8rstevo Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,153
  18. Gator515151

Gator515151 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Saw it tonight..............save your $ and watch it in a few months on HBO. It in my opinion was the most overhyped movie of the decade. A lot of blood & guts and non stop use of the F word along with much over acting. I'm not one who objects to foul language in movies but it was almost like the script writer used every opportunity he could to drop the F-bomb. The trailers I watched all talked about how realistic they tried to make it however the movie was totally over done. Interesting how the Americans all took multiple gun shots and just kept going yet every talaban guy went down on the first shot. Maybe my expectations were just too high but I don't think so.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  19. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    Couldn't disagree more with pretty much every thing in your post. As far as the foul language, were you expecting a girl scouts recital? Also most people to down with one shot to the chest, these were Navy Seals and they were riddled with bullets and kept fighting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +763
    That's what I got from the few reviews I read. Pretty much in line with what the director has done to date. Filmmakers who work in this genre have to be more honest than patriotic. There is a lot of talk that this operation should never have been undertaken.
    • Agree Agree x 1