List of who is redshirting

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    No my friend, what is comical is blind obsession over thinking that every player should follow the same protocol.....some are just better than others......
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    Yes, and the those who are better don't follow the protocol, while those who aren't get time to develop, you know, like the half-dozen or so I noted earlier in the threat that went on to have great careers despite redshirting.
  3. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    I don't recall many players at the CFB level whom I've considered great that have ever taken a redshirt unless they were injured ...... care to "busy" yourself by looking up the percentage "of CFB players considered great" that took a redshirt......make sure and get back to me when you're done........
  4. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,031
    Nobody is going to do the work for you and give you a percentage, but Danny Wuerffel is the first that comes to my mind.

In any case, I'm not sure what your point is any more anyway. Are you saying that the LOS players mentioned in the OP are 'great' and therefore shouldn't redshirt?
  5. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    The offense everybody loves this year has 2 players that redshirted in Johnny Football and Mike Evans
  6. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Took about 30 seconds to find out that 39 of the top 100 2014 draft prospects on NFLdraftscout.com are redshirts ...
  7. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    And I bet that more than half of those were due to an injury at some point.......
  8. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Good point,.....QB is probably one of the few positions that should be consistently redshirted....
  9. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    ... and I'm betting you won't do any research to back up your hypothesis, but I'm happy to be wrong about that.
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    The hardest thing about maintaining a conversation with you is you seem to forget the posts preceding the current one, you know, like this post...

Pretty obvious in the context of that post I was using the adjective "great" to refer to contributors to our team along the line, which responded to your earlier assertion that you needed to see whether or not they could play as a freshmen and that if they couldn't play immediately they needed to step aside of more talented kids in subsequent classes.

Whatever. You just want to argue and don't really seem capable of granting a point or supporting your assertions.
  11. reel_gator

reel_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Heres the facts: you need 9 to 10 guys across the DL to give you quality depth in games and especially in tight defensive games in SEC warfare. Teams that don't have the depth with qualityDL are the ones that fade in the 4th qt. Quality depth doesn't mean AA SEC performers...it can be JUCO guys and even frosh that shirted the year before or special talented true frosh.

Redshirting OL & DL is important to keep numbers up and also give true frosh time to develop...no true frosh is usually ready to start SEC games on the OL or DL. There are a few true frosh that can develop and hold their own....but they always have learning curves and can make bad mistakes.

Our DL depth is going to allow us to dominate a lot of teams this year in the 4th qt. UGA will be exposed for lack of depth and experience on defense....LSU is also lacking depth, but they do have a few good DL that trumps UGA. Both LSU & UGA have good offenses and are dangerous....but you win with defense.
  12. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    I remember the class we brought in that featured Jarvis Moss, Joe Cohen and Marcus Thomas. There were also guys the year before that one (Harris and RayMac) and in the '04 class that needed time to become a force in the SEC. Zook really brought in some great talent across the defensive front, but it didn't quite come together until that great 2006 season. Most of those guys had been on campus for 3-4 years. Thomas was really the only one who was balls out early, yet ironically he didn't play much of a role in that national championship season.

It takes time with linemen. I wouldn't count on guys like Riles, Ivie, Bostwick and Brantley to really tear it up until a few years from now.
  13. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Just because I'm a curious person, I started checking redshirt seniors on the NFLdraftscout.com 2014 list to see how many I would have to check to find the 1st medical redshirt ... I had to check 12 players to find the first medical redshirt ... one other player was redshirted in his sophomore year for eligibility reasons, so only 2 of the 12 played as true freshmen and only 1 was redshirted due to injury.

Rank ... Player ............. Pos ... School .............. Medical RS?
    7 ...... Tajh Boyd .......... QB .... Clemson ............. No
    8 ...... Taylor Lewan ....... OT .... Michigan ............ No
    18 ..... Kyle Van Noy ....... OLB ... Brigham Young ....... No
    21 ..... Cyril Richardson ... OG .... Baylor .............. No
    25 ..... Ra'Shede Hageman ... DT .... Minnesota ........... No
    28 ..... Khalil Mack ........ OLB ... Buffalo ............. No
    30 ..... Will Sutton ........ DT .... Arizona State ....... No
    32 ..... Trent Murphy ....... DE .... Stanford ............ No
    37 ..... Gabe Jackson ....... OG .... Mississippi State ... No
    44 ..... A.J. McCarron ...... QB .... Alabama ............. No
    51 ..... Zack Martin ........ OG .... Notre Dame .......... No
    53 ..... Craig Loston ....... SS .... LSU ................. Yes