Like him or not - a powerful and poignant photo of the President, in Africa

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by MastaG8r, Jun 27, 2013.

1. MastaG8r

MastaG8r New Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    [​IMG]

This is President Obama, having a moment of reflection earlier today in Africa as he stood alone in the so-called "Door of No Return," through which departing slaves passed on their way to North America. The door is located in a former slave trading facility on Goree Island in Senegal. If you saw the documentary "Marley," about Bob Marley, it is featured in the opening scene.

I wish we had a better African American President, but nonetheless I am still proud that we finally have one. My feelings about the quality of 0bama's leadership are known on this forum, but there is no denying that this is a symbolically important image, for obvious reasons.

Perhaps even better images are these in which he is joined by his wife, who unlike him is descended from slaves who passed through that doorway:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and now they have returned to the "Door of No Return" as President and First Lady of the most powerful nation on Earth.

Like them or not, that's good stuff.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +465
    He is good at posing.

But I agree, I think is a good thing we had a black president, but he has been just a terrible president.
  3. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +527
    The color of ones skin should never be a reason to vote for someone.

wrt this thread I wish the man I voted for in my first two primaries (exclude 2004 since W was the nominee) in 2000 and 2008 had won.

The left cannot stand him and he has fallen off the national scene (another reason that tells me he would have been great).

But Alan Keyes would have been great even though he makes the fiscally conservative/social liberal cringe...
    • Like Like x 1
  4. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +527
    Good post Masta...
  5. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,771
    Typical Obama, thinking about himself and can't even let his entourage have a look.
  6. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    He's had a lot of practice. He's been posing as a President for going on five years now.
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,777
    Agree.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,075
    Just the usual prezBO mierda- i see no powerful look, just some guy posing for a fake moment
  9. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,771
    What do you guys think Michelle is thinking in that last photo?

"I can't wait to leave this dump so I can go shopping"
  10. NJG8tor

NJG8tor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Not true. The Left loves Alan Keyes. He is no threat to win any election, and he makes other Republicans look bad in debates. He was like a gnat flying around John McCain's neck in some of those 2000 debates--I believe he went so far as to threaten to leave the party if McCain was the nominee. McCain looked like he was on the verge of punching him. And he basically called George W. Bush incompetent to his face. You didn't hear any of that BS about how great the whole field of primary candidates were from him.

Personally I find him fascinating to listen to. He definitely isn't a special interest whore like most candidates (republican and democrat) or their paid shills like Sean Hannity. I agree with him on some things and not other things. But no. I don't think the left hates him. They hated Bush. They hated Romney. They will undoubtedly hate whomever the Republicans run in the next election. But Keyes they don't take seriously.
  11. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Just a staged photo op.

Most of the slaves were captured by blacks or arabs. Why isn't that ever pointed out?
  12. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,582

Unfortunately, that is what got Obama elected and re-elected.
  13. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    though I disagree with OP on many things, I do appreciate and commend his posting that Obama was not descended from slaves whereas Obama's wife is descended from slaves.

So often we hear the black community chime up and seem to insinuate or even outrightly claim that all blacks in America were descended from slaves. To me that is a bogus claim and just another excuse to blame all their misfortunes on white America and America in general. Slavery is a part of our country's history. And for some to use that as an excuse for not being responsible today is a lame cop out.

AS for the picture. I would hope that any American-black, white, Hispanic, American Indian, Asian, etc who would stand in that doorway would pause and think about those who passed through that doorway long ago. Stand and think in same sort of way as an American would at the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Gettysburg, at the sunken wreck of the Arizona, etc. to think about our Americans(or future ancestors of Americans) and what they experienced at those places and what those people contributed to America.

I've visited many landmarks over the years--battlefields both in America and in foreign countries at which Americans fought and died. been to Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, the American cemetery at Normandy, and at locations along the the Bataan Death March in my father's homeland, etc. In all those places I thought of Americans and experienced a sort of deeper and more vivid spiritually connection with Americans who lived those battles, etc. I strongly encourage others to visit such place and while there take time to reflect in silence about the people who experienced things years ago at those places. And say a silent thanks to them.
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,777
    Obama got elected primarily because he is a very strong machine politician. He ran his campaigns very well.

Doesn't make him a good POTUS, but the same can be said for others before him.
  15. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +527
    That is a good point if viewing it from that context.

I was going more with the context of people that actually vote pub but are socially liberal but I agree with your assesment.
  16. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,239
    I had similar thoughts as well. Thanks Masta for posting.
  17. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,582
    He ran on class and racial division, as well as character assassination, and the media used the racial card to counter criticism of his policies at every opportunity.

The ONLY reason he got re-elected was because he was black. The large majority of black people swarmed to the polls to vote for this man because of his skin color and nothing more. You can tell yourself that wasn't so until you're blue in the face, but that's just the way it is.
  18. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,257
    Solid OP. would rep if I could
  19. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    I cant remember where I read it but it read that Eisenhowers mother was half black thus making Obama the second black president.
  20. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    There were even free blacks in the south that had slaves....

I'm sorry that there were slaves in this country. However quit blaming the failures that your (not you oldgator) on white folks for slavery. The jews don't blame everything on Germans every waking step the fail on something. The jews had it worse and still do. Black americans were traded like property but were not killed like rats on a ship.

Sorry for the derailment