Life After Easley: Zone Blitz?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by qwghlmgator, Sep 25, 2013.

1. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    In trying to find a (tiny) bright side to the (potentially) horrible day, I got to thinking:

If Bullard slides inside and Fowler moves over to SDE with RoPo dropping down to Buck do we blitz more? Specifically do we do more with our zone dogs? Those are two DEs that can run llike hell and cover a lot of ground in coverage. It seems to me that running fire zones out of our "balanced" front would be especially effective now given that we would present a look with no strong side and very similar ends on both sides.

With Easley out do Muschamp and Durkin get a little more creative? Do they let it hang out a little more? Move more guys around? Mettenberger and (especially) Murray have struggled with these kinds of looks in the past. Heck Murray looked completely bumfuzzled against the looks we threw at him last year.
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,853
    Good question. Not sure how balanced our front will be since we wouldn't have anyone able to rush the passer from the strongside like Powell. We will have to declare a strength.

In terms of zone dogs, I don't really know. Seems like we've run a ton of them, especially off the nickel and field rushes, but I have hardly done any film work on it to know for sure.
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,511
    I am going to watch the film again but down and distance is going to impact what we call a lot. We have been in odd man fronts a lot this year. I am really not worried about games vs these spread teams it is the games vs the 2 back teams that is the real unknown.
  4. UF67ee

UF67ee Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    Also, wonder how this affects our offensive game plan ..... Do we have to open up more? This injury has wide range repercussions on the entire team. He was a superstar on defense. Will some red shirts go away?
  5. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,511
    I would expect a few red shirt on the Dline to go away but this should not have a huge impact on the offense. This defense is still going to be really really good. It wasnt just Easley playing at a high level.
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,853
    And that is precisely where a big Sam like Powell, a big Buck like Fowler, and a big SDE like Bullard really help you.
  7. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,511
    On early downs vs a 2 back team I could see the staff moving Easley outside anyways. He has never been great at anchoring against the run. We are going to be pretty darn big against those teams the question is how that 4 DT and 2nd & 3rd DE going to play. Basically how many first team quality snaps (as back ups) can Bostwick Cox and Ivey g give us.
  8. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    what ever the solution is muschamp will find it. say what you want about him not being a great offensive coach but this guy can flat out coach defense. he is the best defensive coach in college football, so im more than confident that he will find ways to get around this. there is no replacing a guy with a motor and skills like easley, but muschamp will keep this a top 5 D in the country.
  9. amangator08

amangator08 Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    Thank you for this thread. I needed to see some positive possibilities after today's news.
  10. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,155
    Great post. If there's a coach that can do it, it's Boom.
  11. yellowboy90

yellowboy90 Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    A healthy secondary will help more than anything. However, I am not seeing the hand technique a good pass rusher displays by any of the DL so far. I think the run game will be okay if Bear, Orr, & Jacobs stay healthy and a youngster will step up.