Liberalism invades youth sports in CA.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatordowneast, Sep 24, 2013.

1. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Yes, 10 run rules. But fines for the coaches/parents? A tad over the top. But probably not abnormal for California. Beautiful state governed by wack jobs for a long time. it's apparently rubbed off on would be legislators.

Nancy Pelosi is from this state.

I rest my case.
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,723
    Doesnt the NFL/NCAA impose fines on coaches, players and owners to regulate proper game behavior which includes anything from not wearing the right socks/towel to hiting someone dangerously? Is it the fines you have a problem with (these seem the logical way to enforce rules) or the behavior?
  3. dynogator

dynogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Don't a lot of youth sports already have a "mercy," rule? My grandson's lacrosse league does. Isn't that the same thing?

Tony Kornheiser said that Urban Meyer should have been fined last Saturday for going for it on 4th down against their cupcake opponent when they were up by about 70.
  4. dynogator

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Sorry, I didn't see your post, fred.
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,624
    Yes some do have a mercy rule, but penalties are not part of the way it works.

Tony Kornheiser is TV personality with a personal axe to grind. Although I have to agree with TK on this very instance I still think UM should face the public outcry for sure... but, not some broad of sports wussifyers.
  6. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Last time I checked, little league coaches are not paid. And the players are 7-13 years old. Come back to us with something that makes sense.
  7. ncbullgator

ncbullgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +371
    Most liberals dislike competition. That's why most government employees are liberal.

:wave:
  8. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Our method was not apparent to the kids. The league was very competitive. Even the weaker kids played a role in the success of their teams. None of them knew their relative point value. Once the season started we didn't need contrived mercy rules which tells the losing team that they're being pitied. We played all out with evenly matched teams and there was never a 35-0 score. Our league standings after six games were typically something like: first place won 5 lost 1, second place won 4 lost two, three teams tied at 3-3 and one at 2-4. Even the last place team won some games. Everyone had a real opportunity to win.
    I coached my team to believe in hard work, fair play and being gracious winners or losers. That makes me a conservative. :tongue:
  9. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,830
    Punishing success and rewarding failure. The model of liberalism.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. agigator

agigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    I don't think that mercy rules are inherently liberal but I think this particular example is liberal. Punishing a team purely based on margin of victory, with apparently no other variables taken in to account? That's sounds liberalism to me.
  11. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    I'm surprised they didn't award points to the other team for each extra touchdown scored more than the maximum allowed. You know, like our "progressive income tax system."
  12. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +845
    Bingo! Almost makes you wonder how libs can be a fan of....oh, Gator football for example. Not that we have the problem on the field now of running up points, but in years past...being a liberal Gator fan must have been pure hell.

Think about it---actually WINNING a competitive sport. This promotes 'our' team to excel and surpass the opponent by performing at one's personal best. Basically, humiliating an opposing group from another school by beating them on the field.

Margin of victory we used to enjoy--Liberals surely were cringing in agony as SOS and even Urban to a point, would run up 50 points every chance we could and holding the opponent to a mere 10 points.

Destroying the will of the other team by shellacking them year in and year out--(see Kentucky) must have been psychologically devastating to not only the Wildcat players, but their fans and OUR own liberal fans. Our libs watching the Gators dismantle the Wildcats no doubt caused nightmares lasting for years.

While the hyperbole was exaggerated a bit--the point is being....how is a liberal who is typically one who does not like competition, but prefers total equality and equal footings, claim to be a fan of football...or basketball...baseball...etc., ie--ANY competitive sport?. Sort of hypocritical in a way now isn't it. :ninja:
  13. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,401
    The nonsensical generalizations on here about liberals are just foolish.

I'm sure these individuals who repeat these stereotypes nevvvvvvver do it with any other kinds of groups.

Never ever.
  14. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +845
    Glad you approve bud.:wave:
  15. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +864
    I don't think it's a "liberal" thing.....it's just modern parents, not exclusive to any political affiliation. They want their child to be winners, have the most playing time and be the star. They'll play all the angles to make sure their child gets on the best team.
  16. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Personally, I'd be more upset when I saw a team stop trying so hard to beat me.

Gregg Easterbrook advocates after getting ahead by a certain amount, teams should kneel when close to the goal and not kick extra points when they do score. You get your practice in running your plays, but you don't punch it in, so as not to embarrass the other team.

The most fun I had playing football with my church was when we didn't keep score.
  17. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,419
    This is just stupid.
  18. dynogator

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Your premise is wrong, and your smug generalizations are just stupid.
  19. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    What I don't understand is how a youth football league can allow itself to have teams with such disparity in ability and athleticism. It's very simple to shuffle the players around and even up the teams. This sounds like coaches with large egos. I've seen that before. Their kids don't learn the right values playing for ego inflated jerks.