Liberalism invades youth sports in CA.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatordowneast, Sep 24, 2013.

1. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    You guys/gals won't believe this story. But maybe you will.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highs...ule-inflames-parental-passions-103325382.html

As reported by Sacramento NBC affiliate KCRA, the Northern California Federation Youth Football League (NCFYFL) instituted stiff new penalties for any teams that beat opponents by 35 points or more. Specifically, those teams will be fined $200 and their coaches will be suspended from all league activities for two weeks. The penalty is a drastic change for the league of 7-13 year-olds, which previously issued teams with a warning following such blowouts and required a written description that detailed what the victorious team had done to try and keep scores low.

Similar penalties are occasionally installed by other youth leagues, but they usually don't kick in until the disparity in score between the teams is almost twice as much as the 35 points being used by the NCFYFL.

With the new, harsher penalties, some players have begun insisting that their development is being hurt. One team has stopped attempting any field goals, leaving kicker James McHugh unable to attempt any scoring kicks except points after touchdowns. That's a problem for a 13-year-old who hopes to serve as a high school placekicker in fall 2014.

McHugh's mother, Kelly McHugh, told KCRA that players on her son's team are afraid to score once they get a lead for fear that their coaches will be penalized and the team won't be able to play the following week.

"Now they are afraid their coaches are going to get suspended and they are not going to have a coach to come out here and play football," McHugh told KCRA.

Naturally, the controversial issue has advocates on both sides, with NCFYFL Deputy Commissioner Robert Rochin claiming the rule is a pro-active attempt to keep more kids interested in the sport while teaching others how to be good sports.

"We lose a lot of football players because their teams lose so badly," Rochin told KCRA. "If they are constantly getting beat, who wants to play anymore? We lose kids all season long because of that.

"It's not hurting the kids, it's teaching them compassion for the other team. It's teaching them sportsmanship."
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2013
  2. JBKGator

JBKGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    "and the trees were all kept equal, by hatchet, axe, and sword..."
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,873
    Where's the "liberalism"?
  4. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,213
    Or for that matter the "high school sports"...
  5. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,910
    Well the liberalism argument would be from the point of view of people wanting kids to be constantly coddled, and the mentality of "everyone's a winner!", "let's not keep score, it'll hurt the children", etc, that is going on through some parts of the country. It's almost like they don't want kids to learn what it is like to lose so they learn. That somehow it's better not to know adversity or harshness, which frankly leaves kids ill-prepared to deal with life. Inversely, they're teaching the kids that are good at the sports that they should be ashamed or shouldn't try their hardest out of a fear of hurting other kids' feelings.

The only HS part I could see is that if like here, the 8th graders (13) play with the JV high school team, so they're part of the high school schedules.
  6. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,910
  7. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,016
    That's just the wrong thing to teach kids. It's not surprising, though. Where's the incentive to teach kids how to deal with a bad loss and teach them that it sucks and to work harder to not be in that position going forward...or at the very least, learn how to have fun even when playing a superior opponent. Not my problem, if that league was my only option for my kids, then I would start a new league. I would expect these parents can do the same.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  8. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +838
    We got hammered, beaten to a pulp my jr yr vs our main rival. They ran over, around and thru us.

We worked our butts off to get them our Sr yr, and we kept it close, even though they were far better. We lost, by less than one TD, but were proud of our accomplishment.

If they had applied that our Jr yr, we would not have had improved our Sr yr.

Getting beat, and beaten badly is real life. But maybe not for the people who do not believe in a Merit system.

PUNISH SUCCESS AND REWARD FAILURE IS THE CORE OF LIBERALISM.
  9. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,999
    Denial is a bummer huh
  10. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,109
    The idea of fines and suspensions seem kind of weird. But you do end up with a lot of really uneven teams in youth sports. Our soccer league tried a couple of different ways to deal with the scores. If the margin got to a certain, the winning team had to play with one less player, then another ....
    The answer is to make teams more even and competitive, but that's not easy. In our baseball league we had a draft but some coaches always found a way to slip a few extra top players in. In soccer when you could request your coach, and the better players wanted to leave weak teams and play for the better ones.

You end up with some teams that have no chance of competing against some others.
  11. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,389
    Ridiculous rules.

Can someone tell me how these rules will make these kids better people? I'd be open to hearing how it could make them better citizens.
  12. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,659
    Under that rule Urban Meyer would be suspended for two weeks.
  13. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,873
    So, basically a strawman version of "liberalism" as the catch-all cause for something in the culture people don't like.
  14. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,910
    No. More the mentality that competition is traumatic for children, that somehow failing will scar a kid for life instead of teaching a life lesson, that others should not try as hard to succeed out of a sense of duty to those who for whatever reason can't be as successful.
  15. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,873
    Ok, but I don't know why that is representative of "liberalism" in any real way. There are plenty of people who are "liberal" who think these things are dumb, and likewise there are many "conservatives" who coddle their children and prevent them from failing. The instinct to (over)protect children isnt really a political one.
  16. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,109
    i don't know. i'm pretty liberal and i've never felt close to that.
  17. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,910
    Fair enough. But from different examples in the news plus experience with what local districts have done, most of the "Oh the poor kids, they shouldn't be made to feel bad" have been occurring in predominantly democratic areas/school districts. Again nothing in life is an absolute.
  18. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,560
    Saw, not sword.

Anyhow, if too many 7-year-olds quit this league because they don't like being embarrassed that the league might not still be viable, is that lesson still worth teaching?

Also, I don't see why 7s and 13s need to be playing by the same competition rules. I sure didn't at those ages.
  19. g8rjd

g8rjd Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Setting aside the "liberalism" faux-debate, I saw this article earlier today and I just don't see how that teaches sportsmanship. Sportsmanship is respecting your opponent while playing to the best of your ability and respecting that they are playing to the best of their ability. It is disrespectful to your opponent not to give your best effort. I always understood "mercy rules" as that the outcome was so clearly established that the prospect of injury and just general waste of time made continuing futile. This is just silly. It doesn't teach sportsmanship at all. In fact, by mandating that a player not play to the best of his or her ability, it is directly contrary to sportsmanship.
  20. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,999
    Absolutely. Maybe later in life they wont be looking for hand outs.