Letting Go Is Hard To Do ........

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Gatorhead, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    Don't worry I won't sing .......... lol

OK I know the Gators just finished spring ball and the Final Four has long been done but I'm still jonesing for BB. Still mourning the end of the core 4 but we got some studs coming back. Need a little feedback from the posters on if the young uns we got coming in can help or bench guys like graham et . al. will impact next year. Thanx in advance.
  2. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
  3. Gatorhead

Ratings Received:
    +182
    Thanks Brad, good stuff. BTW - regarding offense I went to the Rutgers game 2 years ago and Eli Carter lit us up
    in that game. If we see that kind of shooting from him next year he could be a nice 3 option with MK2 is in the game.
  4. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,396
    If you won't sing . . . I will:

". . . and so I'll take with me the memories, to be sunshine after the ra-aaain. It's so haaaard to say goodbye to yesterdaaaay."

Thank you.
    I'll be here all week.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. newsgator

newsgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    ^ "Didn't we almost have it all ...."
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gatorhead

Ratings Received:
    +182
    lol AKA - Just read those threads Brad was kind enough to post here. Yo dog - U scaring me with that offense spin
    you was saying. But you know we got some artillery coming back. Like I said I saw Carter smoke us at Rutgers.

I'm really curious about the newbies? Seems like there is a little lean toward Francis maybe coming in early and doing some work.

Myself I think Casey is going to be looking for that lob / dunk package (ya know the one that killed us vs UCONN)
    all year long to his bro Walker. Man Walker has length, he must have extra long arms. He should be like Noah was with shot blocking if he can get that timing down. I expect Hill to Walker to be explosive next year.

I'm just really proud how Billy has been able to reload, Franz article was excellent on the subject.
    It was tough in 08 and 09, Billy had to do some work to get the program back on track.

I would not be shocked if UF is right there again competing for an SEC title and moving beyond the sweet 16 next year.
  7. Bradass

Ratings Received:
    +925
    Newcomers, off the top of my head...

All 3 incoming recruits are top 40-ish guys in the country. Chiozza (PG) is probably the furthest from significant minutes of the 3 based on what people are saying around here, but will probably get into the rotation more as the season progresses. Francis (SG) is built to contribute right away (he is basically Brad Beal-sized already) and could give us some good bench minutes behind Frazier/Carter. Consensus around here is that Devin Robinson (SF) is the most talented of them (he is ranked highest FWIW) and can come in right away and contribute, possibly even starting at SF from day 1. I personally don't see him starting there immediately, but it could happen if he develops over the course of the season - it's been discussed here.

As you mentioned you seem to know about Eli Carter already. It remains to be seen if he will come back from that leg injury and be the same player. Obviously, we are all hopeful. Dillon Graham will also be coming back from his hip surgeries and no one knows what to expect out of him.

Don't forget about Erik's younger brother Alex Murphy, who transferred from Duke. Billy says he is going to be a really special player for us, and I believe him. He is applying to play immediately in the fall. Worst-case he will become eligible to play in December when the fall semester ends. He is something of a 3/4 tweener. I think people are expecting him to play a role similar to Erik, although he is reportedly more adept around the basket than Erik, and not as proficient from 3-pt land.

And then there's Damontre Harris, who everyone hopes will have his act together and give us size and a great inside defensive presence.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Bradass

Ratings Received:
    +925
    Something worth noting is that all three of the incoming freshmen are expected to be on campus for the second summer semester, meaning these guys will have about 5 months "in the program" before games start. This will give them a good bit of time to get acclimated, learn the system, and develop chemistry with the rest of the team, greatly increasing their chances at early playing time. We have a really nice mix of experience and young talent this coming year and I can't wait to see how it all unfolds. Is it November yet?
  9. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    No it's not November yet, we have to see the football rebuilding job that includes a new OC. Talk about watching things unfold, it will be non stop from the middle of Aug to March madness! both football and basketball teams have a lot of new talent to unveil? This year was one for the record books, football got a d-' basketball got an a, could have gotten an a+' but the season came to an end with exhaustion? With the young talent giving us depth, the sky is the limit. Hopefully the coaches can get the right mix of scoring to go with our defense. That goes for football and basketball, hopefully the basketball can light up the scoreboard a little more.
  10. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
    Very excited already about next season. Of course, we can't compete with Kentucky, as we've shown already, but maybe we can pick at some of their table scraps.

I'm intrigued by Dillon Graham. He's a forgotten man to a lot of people, but I have a feeling we're going to be very happy to have him next season. Not that he'll start, but I think he'll show what we hoped for. The kid was pretty athletic when he was healthy, and had a reputation in high school as a shooter with good range. I know, he's been an abysmal shooter so far as a Gator, but that's gonna change.
  11. Gatorhead

Ratings Received:
    +182
    Good stuff, thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking that the new kids are a bit key to how good we will be.

I have no doubt that Hill, C Walker, Do-Do, MF2 will be very good.
    I believe D Walker, Carter and Harris will be solid.

That leaves the new kids, Murphy and Graham - how are they going to be? If we can get good bench and solid minutes from this group the Gators should be strong.

Of course we might be lucky and add Mourning as a transfer.

Look what Billy was able to do this year, with practice and S&C we have a nice mix of experience and new blood coming in. SW and Prather "blew up" this year, who's gonna do that next season? Hell lets tip it off already!
  12. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    Mourning would be a freshman--maybe 7-10 mins a game. It's always fun to see how the new freshmen will play out
  13. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,767
    Our ceiling got higher, but our floor has more trap doors..
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Bradass

Ratings Received:
    +925
    Apt. Apt analysis.
  15. sportsguy5487

sportsguy5487 Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Dude I'm still hurting from that UCONN loss. To take a positive from it though, it's made me realize just how big a fan I am of our basketball program. I got attend my first game against Mizzou at the SEC Tourny in ATL this year. I'll make sure to show my support in person ATLEAST a couple times next year.
  16. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
    Um...Graham is not a "new kid. This will be his 3rd year.

I wouldn't relegate Murphy to the bench just yet. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts all season.
  17. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,425
    Don't remind me about the Final Four.
  18. Gatorhead

Ratings Received:
    +182

Planet - Correct, I meant to say can he come back from injury and contribute / play significant minutes?
    He's a bit of an unknown at this point.

Seems to be some good buzz around Murphy, I'm looking forward to seeing him play. Heck I'm looking forward to seeing Harris play as well.

Throw in the new recruits and there is alot of new blood in the program. But all these guys are not going to see significant minutes, will be very competitive when practice resumes and I can't wait to see who emerges from this group to play significant roles.
  19. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    I am with the OP here. I hated to see this season end and will miss watching that class.