Let's talk "Hitting" - Approach? Coaching?

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by gatorbogey, Jun 1, 2013.

1. GeomatGator

GeomatGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    O'Sullivan has never impressed me as an in-game coach. He can bring in talent and that's what we rode the last 3 years. But our biggest problem was that we could not execute in late-game situations, which was a constant theme throughout our 3 year run. We live and die with Gorilla Ball, when Small ball wins championships.

The best example is 2 years ago when we lost game 1 of the Championship series with the bases loaded, no outs, tie game, bottom nine. A fly ball wins the game, and a disciplined, well coach team does not find a way to lose. We did. Even though we had the most talented team in the field the last 2 CWS, we couldn't win because we were not a well coached team.

This year, we didn't have the talent to play Gorilla Ball. We also did not have the discipline to play small ball, just like we've never had under O'Sullivan. We couldn't do little things like move runners over all year long, and the result of having a less talented team was 7 straight losses to the likes of FGCU, UNF, etc.

My point is, that unless we have a super-talented team - and I mean one of the absolute best in college baseball, not just the SEC - then we are going to have years like this. O'Sullivan has earned the right to be here a couple more years, but .500 seasons are much more likely than a CWS birth. Next year won't be any better. We're not gonna start bashing homeruns just because our freshmen became sophomores, and our pitching won't be dominant. Less talented teams can win if they can execute. But we have proven time and again that we can't.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    why recruit a bunch of players that will likely sign with MLB teams? It doesn't seem to be working well.
  3. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,021

Tend to disagree. I watched LSU win quite a few game and even championships with Gorilla ball. Lopez could never do it with small ball.

I for one believe we need a few "gorilla ball" batters on our team.
  4. gator_in_georgia

gator_in_georgia Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +768
    Best recruiting class the day before the draft; the day after the draft not so much.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 99gator

99gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,398
    loaded with fail
  6. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Not working well?

Didn't UF go to three consecutive CWS from 2010-2012?
  7. GeomatGator

GeomatGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    Those gorilla ball teams like LSU won those before the 'dead bat era'....the days when a pitcher that had an ERA under 5 was a good thing, and hitters 1-9 could launch bombs off the end of the bat. The game has changed because of the new bats - the advantage has shifted to the pitchers, and executing buts, situational hitting, and moving guys into scoring position has become more important.

And Lopez won it all last year with Arizona :)
  8. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +463
    Which means power is actually more important than ever: there's a tremendous marginal advantage to be gained from throwing out a lineup that can put home runs that wasn't there previously.

There's a reason the best three-year run in program history coincided quite neatly with our dominating the national power stats.
  9. The_Graygator

Ratings Received:
    +3,021

Vague much?
  10. The_Graygator

Ratings Received:
    +3,021

But he didn't win it all here, when it mattered, so Arizona winning it all means nothing to me.

I'm not saying that's "all" we need though. Yeah, I think we could use a couple of guys on our roster who are .400 hitters to shake stuff up with. It would be good to have that power in the mix.
  11. austingator

austingator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +637
    UF should make the NCAA tournament each and every year. Anything less is just not acceptable at UF. Martin does it every year at FSU and loses just as many players as Sullivan does.
  12. 99gator

99gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,398
    lopez has two national titles.

one during the era of gorilla ball.
  13. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    I would say he definitely did it twice with small ball, and neither during the gorilla ball era.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  14. The_Graygator

Ratings Received:
    +3,021

Did he have any at Florida during the era of gorilla ball, when it was quite proiminent in the SEC, especially at LSU?
  15. mjbuf05

mjbuf05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    That was with one recruting class. Our classes after them have obviously not lived up to the expectations so far.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. 60sDCGator

60sDCGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Sully's staff is made up of former MLB scouts, which if true would explain some of the good recruiting in the past and apparently again in regard to this upcoming year. However, I'm beginning to wonder and tend to agree with some of the other posts and I'm including Sully regarding just how good they are at actually coaching and developing players. Last years team was loaded and pretty much underachieved the entire year and finished by laying a big egg in Omaha. This years team's approach to hitting was atrocious! Maybe they need to hire a real hitting coach, otherwise I see the same thing repeating itself next season unless we have a few freshmen come in and light it up.

I think pitchers can improve tremendously from their freshman year to their junior or senior years, but hitters can either hit or they can't and I just don't see any of our current players other than possibly Bader improving their batting averages significantly enough next year to make much difference. Is someone or more than just one, going to jump from 250 to 350-400 next year? I doubt it, but I do hope they prove me wrong.
  17. gatorlaw71

gatorlaw71 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    That has been the pattern for UF baseball for at least the last twenty years. We have a few unsuccessful years, which leads to us firing the coach, which leads to us hiring a new coach who is praised to the skies as a great coach and a great recruiter ... much better than the last guy. For a year or two neither the program nor the recruits are as attractive to the pros, which leads to more players and recruits not going pro, which leads to us having better teams, which eventually leads to us making the college world series a couple of times, which leads to attracting better recruits and having more successful recruiting years ... on paper but not on the field ... because it also leads to losing more of the recruits to the pros ... which leads to some unsuccessful years, which leads to our coach being fired, which leads to UF hiring a new coach, which repeats the same cycle all over again.

We've repeated this pattern through every coach for at least two decades.
    • Like Like x 1