Let's talk "Hitting" - Approach? Coaching?

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by gatorbogey, Jun 1, 2013.

1. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    today it wasn't a big issue. we had double digit hits. a meltdown on the mound was the problem in one inning today.

so, today, it might be a good time to bring this up, just to get a rational discussion started:

we've had better years at the plate, obviously....
    this year it was an issue, to put it mildly, and a glaring liability at times. we've done better in the past - but is that due to the players or coaching or both?

everyone could use better hitting and more specifically: more timely hitting! that's probably a common complaint (especially after a loss) is it a matter of coaching? approach or "god-given" talent?

the current situation at UF needs vast improvement. what are we teaching/coaching when it comes to batting? anyone know? is there a specific "system"?

what changes, if any, would you recommend? is there a great tutor of batting out there that UF could bring in?
  2. gators4life

gators4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    I would like to see them bring Brad Wilkerson on staff to mentor these young guys. We don't really have a hitting coach on our team.
  3. 99gator

99gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,409
    there are two ways to generate runs.

you run or you mash.

they have some players with power, but not many and not a lot of power.
    they have some players with speed, but not many and not a lot of speed.

so, with regard to approaches at the plate, it depends what kind of team you are.

we don't run particularly well and we don't mash, so how do you take an approach at the plate.

it's like the bunt complaints. we more than likely aren't going to steal second. we aren't usually going to string several hits together or get a bloop and a blast. so, you are kind of forced to give up an out to move a runner over. but, who's bringing him in when you move him over?

pitchers don't labor, because they aren't particularly worried about a stolen base. they are not nervous about pitching to batter "a", because batter "b" is on deck and you really don't have to face him. etc, etc, etc.

with guys who aren't great hitters, you usually would want them to shorten their swings and just make contact. because, hey, you aren't hitting it out of the park anyway. but, they don't have many players you would want to turn into "slappers".

so, in short, they've got basically nothing to work with and i don't know how much coaching would help several of the players.
  4. 99gator

99gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,409
    i also want to say without beating a dead horse, that it is mentally deflating to have personnel in the lineup that you know are not going to get it done.

i think that has effected some of the rest of the lineup as well. as has the pressure of other players who probably feel they have to carry the team because other guys are not going to hit or don't have any power, etc, etc, etc.

in a 9 inning game, there are 3 or 4 innings where there is a miniscule chance to score runs. coaches know it, fans know it, and the players themselves know it. if you don't think that has a mental effect on a team, you are kidding yourself.

it effects pitchers too. they know they have to have shut down innings because we don't have a chance to score for another two innings.

it is amazing how much better a lot of players play, when they don't feel like they personnally have to get it done or the team is screwed. they are relaxed and play better and it's true up and down a team. in all sports.
  5. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +443
    So did we just have a bad recruiting year?
  6. 99gator

99gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,409
    When certain players are in the lineup (and I am talking about more than 1 guy here), you missed on the recruiting trail. There's no doubt.

It wouldn't be as bad if players who had some promise, played to their capability, but that didn't happen.
  7. cruzer79

cruzer79 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    it's not the coaching. It's timing and talent. some times it doesn't all come together like you would hope. Sometimes bad luck just happens and sometimes good things happen. Relax, you can't have it all all the time.
  8. sec1

sec1 VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +61
    This team should be very hungry next season
  9. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
    Bring in rod carew for a batting clinic.

Sent from my mind using ESP
  10. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +301
    If only that mattered as much as some think. If hunger was the end all, we'd have performed better in the post-season. You think these guys wanted to have the second losing season since before Jay Bergman? (I'm going from memory here, but I don't remember Bergman, Arnold or Lopez ever having a losing record. Feel free to correct if I'm wrong).

Hunger by itself won't get it done. We need an influx of talent and freedom from injuries.

As for coaching, this staff has produced good hitting teams. Base running, on the other hand, has not been good since Lopez.
  11. Marshall

Marshall Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
    Folks, isn't it pretty well a perfect storm working against this very good coaching/recruiting staff? Your best pitcher never throws a pitch this year, your 1A isn't quite his best, a pair of the older hopefuls miss most all year hurt....then you have freshman and that's a challenge after losing all that talent. New recruits (pitching) that were the top went pro, others did decent. Ended the year with closer trying to help starting rotation.

Your top outfielder has to give up the sport (Thompson), another real good possibility can't get NCAA transfer rules straight (I hope Ratliff is with us next year, he was very good at JU). Soph catcher your thought would be really good fades from early in hitting, fielding and throwing.

Your best freshman, a shortstop gets hurt and you have to sub a great guy/good field no hit into the lineup. That moves all kinds of folks around. Your hopeful Sr leader cleanup hitter is fine in field, but can't get a clutch hit and even tries to bunt today with two out --- not totally in the game.

This after you had almost a team full of leaders last year. One strong leader may have made a big difference. Let's hope for growth from those who can, and good fortune with getting the top guys in.
  12. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +469
    We didn't have much talent.

That's the story. You don't need many more details than that.

As much as some fans complained about the teams from the last few years relying too much on power, you don't lose guys like Tucker, Zunino, Fontana, Johnson, Pigott and get better offensively.
  13. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +469
    One under-appreciated element of our successful teams has been a guy or a couple guys at the top of the lineup getting on base all the time. Having high OBP players at the top of the lineup is incredibly important.

From 2010-2012 we had Fontana getting on base at a .400 clip every season. You also had Bryson Smith getting on base 43 percent of the time in 2011. Even the 2009 Super Regional squad that earned a national seed had Avery Barnes with a .438 OBP and Josh Adams with a .440 OBP.

And if you want to go back to ancient history, the 2005 team had Jeff Corsaletti on base 45 percent of the time and Adam Davis at around 40 percent.

You get 1-2 hitters who are on base 40 percent of the time, you're going to have some success. Backing them up with Zunino and Tucker helps, but everyone's a better hitter when there are guys on base.

We didn't have a huge OBP guy this year. I was hoping Casey Turgeon would evolve into a Fontana-esque hitter, but he stagnated offensively. Bader and Martin were pretty good (Martin when he played). Zack Powers had some really nice patience, but he's not a top-of-the-lineup hitter.
  14. 60sDCGator

60sDCGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +104
    You would hope they will be improved next season with most everyone returning, but my concern as I expressed in another thread is they just can't hit. These guys have been playing baseball since they were 5 or 6 years old and by now they can either hit or they can't. I'm not seeing that they can. The pitching has been okay, but they seem to fall apart after 4-5 innings just like today or they throw a bad pitch at the most inopportune times. I also think Sully out thinks himself a lot in regard to his pitching changes.
  15. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,104
    I've said this again and again over the years... it just makes me wonder had we been able to hang onto all those commits we lost in our last two recruiting classes that jumped to the MLB early instead of signing with the Gators.

I still think there should be an age limit with the pro's even in baseball.
  16. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    It was a lack of talent - not a lack of coaching.

It's called a rebuilding year. UF made a regional this year and with all the graduation losses from last season, that was about all that could be expected. And when you add in losing Thompson in CF and two starting weekend P's Whitson and Kish, it made things even more difficult.

The end of the season was tough and UF should not have been 0-2 this weekend. But, again, to expect anything more than a regional bid was simply unrealistic.
  17. missourigator

missourigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    next year's team is good news and bad news. The good news is, it is a very young team and the bad news is most are coming back.
  18. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +970
    But with different players. The current players now could be starved and it would not matter. Good guys, but not the standard this program needs to be built upon.
  19. cuzzgator44

cuzzgator44 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    I'll agree that a lot of it was talent, but coahing was definitely an issue as well. Don't get me wrong, not saying I want Sully fired, but he made several questionable decisions throughout the year. 1) Dent- no way this kid should ever see the field. I know some will say he is a great defender, but he is an automatic out. 2) Gushue and Vick have been downright terrible lately, yet they still hit in the top 5. Where is the batting lineup changes. Bader has been killing, and he finally gets moved to 6th for the last game. 3) Sully recruited most of the roster, was it multiple mis-evaluations or kids just not improving like other teams? I believe I read somewhere that florida state has something like 30 consecutive seasons with 40 wins. Do they not recruit out of the same talent pool? I believe our recruiting classes have been higher the last few years.

I close by saying I love Sully and what he is done, but for a Florida baseball team to finish less than .500 and less than 30 wins is unexcusable. To then get put in a regional and loss to Austin Pear and Valpo is embarrassing. We cannot afford another season like this.
  20. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    U

There was no depth on this team and yes, that falls on the coaching staff. But, there just wasn't much the team could do with the roster they had.

Yes, Dent can't play at the DI level, but once Martin got hurt, what else could the staff have done? They tried Turgeon at SS and that was not pretty defensively. So, Dent had to play there by default. And once Martin got healthy, who could take his place in the OF? Dicks was overmatched and hit less than Dent, while Mitchell was the only other option and he was not SEC caliber either.

No doubt the key to UF struggling down the stretch was that both Gushue and Ramjit were really, really bad offensively the month of May. But again, it comes down to what options did the staff have? Yeah, Bader could have moved in the two hole but Turgeon, while not having a great year, is a natural fit for that slot in the line up. Again,the staff had to just hope Ramjit and Gushue would get hot but it obviously, never happened.

This team still made a regional and that as a pretty good accomplishment for this group. Again, a lot of the line up returns and those kids will improve. Plus, even after the draft, there will still be 15-18 kids coming in August that will make this roster better and UF will be much improved in 2014.